Nevada-Las Vegas

Dresses on plane?

For my dress, and BM dresses, how it works is you can have a carryon, you can have your purse and still have the dress too or no? I swear when I was in a destination wedding this is what I had and it was fine.

Or does the dress count as your purse? If that was the case, then FI can just have that be his "purse";) right?

Re: Dresses on plane?

• direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you have a carryon, purse and dress, doesn't that mean you technically have two carryons and a purse?  I have no idea, that's just how it would seem to me.  Personally if I was on a flight and saw someone come on with all three, I'd give a side-eye as that dress is definitely taking up room...

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_dresses-plane?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:e9272c79-6605-45b4-a8d7-04c6f4aea638Post:c5a10d48-d2c7-4739-b3db-103dae98b9d9">Re: Dresses on plane?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have a carryon, purse and dress, doesn't that mean you technically have two carryons and a purse?  I have no idea, that's just how it would seem to me.  Personally if I was on a flight and saw someone come on with all three, I'd give a side-eye as that dress is definitely taking up room...
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

<p>Hmm yeah that's what I was thinking too, but I was just thinking back to the wedding I went to, but maybe I didn't end up having a carryon then, can't remember. Maybe I'll just call the airline. I just want to inform my BMs so they know if they have to stuff it in their suitcases or not. I'm not worried about me, Jared can just carry my purse, it can be his man-purse;)</p>
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_dresses-plane?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:e9272c79-6605-45b4-a8d7-04c6f4aea638Post:6224c4c7-256b-4546-ace4-6d39d450c5b7">Re: Dresses on plane?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dresses on plane? : Hmm yeah that's what I was thinking too, but I was just thinking back to the wedding I went to, but maybe I didn't end up having a carryon then, can't remember. Maybe I'll just call the airline. I just want to inform my BMs so they know if they have to stuff it in their suitcases or not. I'm not worried about me, Jared can just carry my purse, it can be his man-purse;)
    Posted by Sara191431[/QUOTE]
    Gotcha - probably best to call the airline.  We didn't run into this issue because we drove, so I took the dresses with me for my one BM who was flying.  :)
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    It would be 3 total. But I didn't have carryon luggage so it was just my dress and my purse. 

Calling the airline would be best though.
  • edited December 2011
    It probably does depend on the specific airline, but if you had a dress, purse, and carryon, I would consider that three items. I've attempted to bring a purse, laptop, and carryon with me and have been forced to "consolidate" into two. So I'm planning purse and dress. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I flew to CA a couple weekends ago which included 4 flights (layovers). On the way back I had a small piece of luggage (to go overhead), plus a small tote bag, plus a box of cupcakes, plus my purse. I fit everything except the luggage under the seat in front of me, and I had no problems.

I bet it depends on how much overhead space you're taking up (or maybe space in general), . This was Delta, btw.
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your dress will count as your carryon item and you will be able to have a purse.

If you bring your dress, purse and carryon luggage you would be exceeding the limit and taking space away from other passengers who are abiding by the rules. You might get away with it, but if the flight is busy, the attendant will take one of your items and have it checked.
  • HiltonsgirlHiltonsgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi. I'm just a newbie/lurker...but I'm also a flight attendant. Trust me--nobody (on my airline, anyway) follows the "1 carry on, 1 personal item" rule--which is what creates the problem, and why we run out of room so quickly. I'd recommend you call your specific airline to find out their policy. I have wedding dresses ALL the time--in addition to their roller board, and nobody ever counts their purse or computer bag as an actual bag! Lol. Apparently a blind eye is turned, because people are getting thru security and past the gate agent, and down to the plane. The problem is, every bride wants to hang the dress in the closet, and nowadays, the closets are way to small to hang first class coats (the priority), AND a wedding dress. Even worse on a flight destined for a city known for weddings (Vegas, Aruba, etc) because it's quite possible that youre not the only bride wanting to hang a dress. We are sympathetic, and do what we can, but it doesnt always work out. On my airline, when the overheads are full, we start "gate checking" bags, which means, they check your bag right from the jetway, it goes to baggage claim, and you don't pay that baggage fee. (Shhhh, you didn't hear that from me) If it were me, I'd bring all three, and ask the agent if you can pre-board. (go first with those traveling with small children, wheelchairs, etc) This way you can suck up to your crew WHILE there is still space and/or ask about the closet. Remember to ASK, not demand. If youre not nice--you'll get nowhere if you piss off the agent/crew! Worst case--check the carry on in the jetway (for free) and obviously keep the dress with you! You may have to gently fold it over once, and then shut the bin!! Most people are understanding when they see it's a wedding dress! Again, Im not sure who you're flying on, and I can't promise you that it will go the way I always see it/bag fee waived, or that your gate agent will be nice. I just know that I've been on crews where we've gotten excited for the bride and we do attempt to help you out. Good Luck, and Happy Wedding! : )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PS--do you have access to find out if your flight is full? Perhaps, call your airline and explain to reservations, or whomever you speak to, that you are inquiring about space with concern, as you will be traveling with a wedding gown. It will be less of a problem if the flight is not full, thus leaving extra space in general. Hope for a bigger plane too--more space, perhaps a larger closet. I hope it works out for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I bought the pilot and co pilot some (sealed) chocolate in a cute gift bag for both and asked them to hang my dress by where they sit and they were very nice and appreciative. I got the advice to do this from others on the knot. I flew Southwest.
    Dress plus  a bag and my purse = 2 carry ons for me.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the replies, especially hiltonsgirl! I did call Delta, who we are flying out on, back on Sun Country. Delta said I can call the day of to see if there's room to hang it and if so it won't count as your carryon, but if not it will. In which case FI can carry it. But then comes the dilemma of where it goes in the plane as it sounds like you can't put it in the overhead bin. My dress isn't a big poofy one or anything, but obviously it's not small either. Well I'll just have to hope for the best or go with some of hiltonsgirl's suggestions. Fingers crossed! Thanks again!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Sara, Now that I know you are flying on Delta, I have a "friend of a friend" who is a Delta flight attendant. I will Facebook her and see what she says regarding policy and/or any tricks or suggestions. So keep an eye on this thread. But it may take a few days, depending on her schedule and when she gets back to me. But I wanted to mention, I agree with what Jenn33 said about giving a little gift to get on their good side. Little things/appreciation means A LOT to your crew, as we (more so the f/a's than the pilots) are taken for granted and deal with SO many rude, demanding idiots daily! It doesn't have to be fancy--a bag of candy (and by your travel time, all the Halloween candy will be out) Donut holes, (ie if there is a Dunkin Donuts in your airport) Really ANYTHING that shows you're thinking of them, and that you appreciate the help is a nice gesture. (trust me, the key word with pilots is FREE...most of them are very cheap! Lol) Enjoy your weekend, and I will reply when I hear back from The friend! : )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_dresses-plane?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:e9272c79-6605-45b4-a8d7-04c6f4aea638Post:8efdf636-4607-491c-bcf6-099f2abdc3e2">Re: Dresses on plane?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Sara, Now that I know you are flying on Delta, I have a "friend of a friend" who is a Delta flight attendant. I will Facebook her and see what she says regarding policy and/or any tricks or suggestions. So keep an eye on this thread. But it may take a few days, depending on her schedule and when she gets back to me. But I wanted to mention, I agree with what Jenn33 said about giving a little gift to get on their good side. Little things/appreciation means A LOT to your crew, as we (more so the f/a's than the pilots) are taken for granted and deal with SO many rude, demanding idiots daily! It doesn't have to be fancy--a bag of candy (and by your travel time, all the Halloween candy will be out) Donut holes, (ie if there is a Dunkin Donuts in your airport) Really ANYTHING that shows you're thinking of them, and that you appreciate the help is a nice gesture. (trust me, the key word with pilots is FREE...most of them are very cheap! Lol) Enjoy your weekend, and I will reply when I hear back from The friend! : )
    Posted by Hiltonsgirl[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks so much for checking!  Noted on the gift, I'll bring donut holes & cookies for them!  Walmart actually has these fantastic new devils food cake donut holes, they are sooo good, and they have really good M&M cookies too, so hopefully that will suffice:)  (I don't think the Mpls. airport has a Dunkin Donuts, we don't have any off them here, but I know they're a big east coast thing).

Thanks again and I'll be checking this post, or you can just page me, whichever!
  • edited December 2011
    maybe we can make a sticky bcuz there are always a lot of threads about wedding dresses on a plane
    Fuuck your feelings
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards