Snarky Brides

Oscars Hosts...

...will be Anne Hathaway and James Franco.  Two pretty people, but I can't imagine them being that funny.  What do ya'll think?  How will they do?  Do the hosts need to be funny?

Re: Oscars Hosts...

• I love Anne Hathaway.  Are Oscar hosts usually funny?  I thought the Oscars were a more serious award evening?

I really don't know what I'm talking about though, I haven't watched the Oscars in who knows how long. 
  • I read about it this morning. A lot of ppl are making a fuss about them hosting because they are potential nominees. They said for sure him for 127 hours and she is a long shot for Love and Other Drugs.

I think they need to be funny but not overly comedic. I am drawing a blank on what James Franco has done lately that show his funny side. With the except of Pineapple Express which to most young ppl is funny but I don't think it's Oscar funny.
  • They've traditionally had comedians as host.  Billy Crystal has hosted a lot, and Whoopie Goldberg, David Letterman, Chris Rock have all hosted.  This year Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin hosted.  I think Hugh Jackman did it last year, and it was a more musical bent. 
  • Well then I could see how it would be a little unexpected.  Maybe they're trying to shift their audience? I don't know.
  • Ill bet 10 bucks that neither of their movies get nominated for anything, his has more chance than hers, but there are WAY too many good ones this year who have a far greater chance of nomination. She performed in the opening number with Hugh Jackman 2 years ago, remember?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oscars-hosts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1f2fd75-c766-4181-a1d1-b82f47961fa6Post:a33e6016-dc78-4112-b725-eb46972ae1c6">Re: Oscars Hosts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ill bet 10 bucks that neither of their movies get nominated for anything, his has more chance than hers, but there are<strong> WAY too many good ones this year who have a far greater chance of nomination</strong>. She performed in the opening number with Hugh Jackman 2 years ago, remember?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen either of them but I agree that there are a lot of movies out there that are Oscar worthy. I wonder if they are doing the 10 nominees again. I think they should do it like the Golden Globes where there is a drama and comedy section.

Did you ever see Jon Hamm in The Town?
  • I think they'll do a nice job. I mean, let's face it people like Whoopi, Steve Martin and Billy Crystal aren't very relevant today. I applaud all of their accomplishments and contributions but what have any of them done that's funny or particularly interesting recently?

I think James Franco and Anne hathaway can be funny. Maybe it's not their typical movie role, but isn't all of the Oscar intros and sketches written by someone else anyway? I could be wrong but that's what I thought.
  • Nebb, have you seen Love and Other Drugs? It was really good. It's not a typical cheesy romantic comedy and I wouldn't be so sure she won't get nominated for it.
  • I agree that Steve Martin, Whoopie, Billy Crystal, etc aren't relevant these days.  They could get some younger comedians out there.  I just wonder whether it will be as good as with these two.  I think they're good actors, but it doesn't mean they'll succeed as hosts.  I give credit to the Academy for trying something new.

Steph, I'm having trouble seeing the vid.  I will try later tonight.

I'm looking forward to seeing Love and Other Drugs and 127 hours.
  • Hugh Jackman hosted either the Oscars or Golden Globes last year right? In the openning number Anne Hathaway actually participated, she was really funny. I think she'll do a great job, and James Franco is pretty funny. I think it could work. I mean they're not Billy Crystal, but they might be a great pair.

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oscars-hosts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1f2fd75-c766-4181-a1d1-b82f47961fa6Post:27477046-7403-48a2-9165-d494d2374c90">Re: Oscars Hosts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hugh Jackman hosted either the Oscars or Golden Globes last year right? In the openning number Anne Hathaway actually participated, she was really funny. I think she'll do a great job, and James Franco is pretty funny. I think it could work. <strong>I mean they're not Billy Crystal,</strong> but they might be a great pair.
    Posted by kcullen37[/QUOTE]

Thank heavens for that. I have never been able to stand that guy. He doesn't make me laugh or even smile. He's just the worst, to me.
  • I think that because they are hosting, it's a pretty good sign that they aren't being nominated.
    Anne Hathaway was good during her appearance on last year's Oscars... or was it the year before? Anyway, I've seen her on interviews and she usually does a good job, so I'm sure she'll be able to handle it.
    And James Franco could go onstage and crap glitter and he'd still look hot. That's all I need.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards