Moms and Maids

Asking long distance BFF to be MOH

So.. my best friend only makes it around here a few times a year and there is a good chance I won't see her til Christmas!! We have been friends for almost 20 years and can't see anyone rlse at my side. My question is this... instead if an email or phone call, what is a great way to ask her to be my MOH? Any fun ideas or past experiences?

TIA,
Sarah :)

Re: Asking long distance BFF to be MOH

• misscheekymisscheeky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand its not for a while, I am just starting to think of fun ideas to surprise her. :)
  • edited December 2011
    When I was pregnant, I wanted a cute way to announce the baby's sex to my mom. I gave her a big gift bag on christmas eve and insisted she open it right away. A balloon that said "It's a Girl!" popped out when she opened the bag, and she was super suprised! She cried off and on for the rest of the day lol - maybe you could do some kind of variation of that, since she lives far away have balloons / flowers delievered with a note on them telling her how much your friendship means to her and asking her to be your maid-of-honor :)
  • TaeLynneTaeLynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_asking-long-distance-bff-moh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:454e7354-69f2-4d4d-a8f6-e17e5f7442cfPost:f72b6113-2aaf-4df0-bddb-8d085f7505b4">Re: Asking long distance BFF to be MOH</a>:
    [QUOTE]maybe you could do some kind of variation of that, since she lives far away have balloons / flowers delievered with a note on them telling her how much your friendship means to her and asking her to be your maid-of-honor :)
    Posted by monique026[/QUOTE]

This. I think this is super cute and I am sure she would love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You can always send her a DVD that you made, where you ask her on camera to be the MOH. I also really like monique's idea.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey I'm not sure if you decided yet, but I just came across this and thought of your post. 

http://www.weddingstand.com/Will-You-Be-My-Edible-Jessica-Dress-Cookie-Card-7095?sc=47&category=160

Good luck!

Also if she is your best friend for 20 years now, and you know you want her as your MOH, you can ask her now.  There is no rule saying you can't and its great to have someone else besides your mom be a sounding board for all your ideas!  If you dont have any other really close friends, waiting a while isnt a bad idea. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I sent a picture frame to my MOH with: "will you be my maid of honor" in the frame with the hope that we would have a picture from the wedding that could go in the frame later!
  • misscheekymisscheeky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!

I really like both ideas! I have several friends who I havent decided to choose from yet but she is sure my right hand (wo)man!! Thanks alot ladies! Happy planning!!
  • KristenG2011KristenG2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My best friend moved to Seattle.  I too wanted to think of something creative..so what I did was had a shirt made for her that said Matron of Honor.  I wrapped it in tissue paper (colors I was using for the wedding) and put on top a cute note that said..."You are such an amazing friend and mean theworld to me....so will you be my..."

Then when she opened it ..it said on the shirt..Matron of Honor.  She was so excited and loved it!
  • edited December 2011

I too have 4 of my 5 bridesmaids living out of town (like states away), and so I wanted to ask them in a special way.  I'm sending a bouquet of flowers to each of them followed up with a card that will arrive the same day in the mail.

here's how I went abouts it:
    1. looked up their address in google, searched nearby florist
    2. called florist asked if they have a delivery fee for less than x miles (most said no). or if your MOH/BM has a partner, ask them to pick up them up on their way home someday
    3. asked the florist to put together a boquet of inseason flowers for around $20.  I wasn't particular on how the bouquet looked. just something small that showed I cared
    4. I mailed a card (like this one) to arrive the same day as the flowers.
    5. Then call in the evening to make sure they got everything.

I think that since I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that these ladies will be by my side for my big day (friendships haven't changed for 10 yrs, why would it now?) I wanted to let them know far enough in advance to (1) plan ahead for travel (2) help me!.

Best wishes (sry for LONG post)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards