Wedding Etiquette Forum

Out of Date Words.

I told my mom yesterday that she was awesome, and SHE told ME that word was out of date and she thought it was something people would say in the 90's.

So, let me hear the words that are out of date. Anyone?

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution

Re: Out of Date Words.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-date-words?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:74e968e4-2728-4d6a-8cee-16b618525ec3Post:1c5bf76a-e6de-4185-b47f-6887606d6722">Re: Out of Date Words.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally I think the words, "retarded" and "gay" should be long gone from every one's vocabulary as words to describe something dumb or sucky. Buttt we all know that's not happening. My mom say dungarees and frankfooters all the time. So annoying :)
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

1) Agreed.
    2) My grandma used to say dungarees and slacks.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Calling it "the net" or referring to internet-related activities as "surfing."
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Oh snap.  (disclaimer:  I still say this)
  • Culots
    image Married and Junk.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-date-words?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:74e968e4-2728-4d6a-8cee-16b618525ec3Post:33dae1be-d31f-4bf2-8fc7-b9b3aeb3cefa">Re: Out of Date Words.</a>:
    [QUOTE]SUPPER!? How is supper out of date? Aye Carumba? Tubular?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

You don't <em>really </em>call dinner "supper" do you?!
  • "Frock" instead of "dress".  I also think the word "blouse" sounds really old-fashioned.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I DO!! Dinner is lunch in my world!

The Margarita Evolution
  • A co-worker always says, "You ain't jivin!" for "you're not kidding."  It's straight out of the 70s and cracks me up every time.
    Claire Elisabeth born at 27w1d on 2/20/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know if this is out of date but I can't stand it when people say "nuke it" when they are talking about microwaving something.  This has always gotten on my nerves for some reason.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-date-words?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:74e968e4-2728-4d6a-8cee-16b618525ec3Post:fbce5102-0cfb-457b-9a4b-2c5a45b06733">Re: Out of Date Words.</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Frock" instead of "dress".  I also think the word "blouse" sounds really old-fashioned.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

<div>UGH, I hate "blouse"! But I do love "trousers".</div>
  • That's awesome, Fische.

heehee
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-date-words?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:74e968e4-2728-4d6a-8cee-16b618525ec3Post:1ba140ed-6e14-4953-a3d4-8866b84ec621">Re: Out of Date Words.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I DO!! Dinner is lunch in my world!

My grandma did this!  She had breakfast, dinner, and supper, and when I would visit her as a kid I would get so confused because we were having dinner at noon. 

Also, she called couches "davenports."  I still laugh at that one.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • VALLYYYYYY ::FIST SHAKE:::

The Margarita Evolution
  • Fishy, really?  Like if you said to a friend, "Let's make dinner plans for Thursday" they would know you meant the noontime meal and not the 6pm time meal?

Most of my friends from MN call dinner "supper" but I don't think I've heard any of them call lunch "dinner" though. :)
  • I would know they meant supper. But like...lunch with my family is dinner.

And I'll go to lunch, too. It's all sorts of weird, but supper is SUPPER.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Fische isn't replying because she is probably having brunch somewhere and sipping tea.

• Damnit, I'm too slow.
  • sweet... as in "oh sweet!" not the candies/desserts
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-date-words?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:74e968e4-2728-4d6a-8cee-16b618525ec3Post:938f9720-d469-4f92-8f1a-00cf98951a92">Re: Out of Date Words.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would know they meant supper. But like...lunch with my family is dinner. And I'll go to lunch, too. It's all sorts of weird, but supper is SUPPER.

<div>So what you're saying is supper is super?</div>
  • I say cupboards and people laugh at me.  I guess I should be saying cabinets.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Ha, I say sweet all the time.

OH - when my parents say "hook up" in the sense of hanging out with a friend, like, "Are you going to hook up with Becky and Sarah this weekend?"  I have tried for YEARS to break them of this by informing them that in the college world and beyond, this does NOT imply a simply platonic encounter!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-date-words?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:74e968e4-2728-4d6a-8cee-16b618525ec3Post:1b5806f5-7536-433b-bcff-c836ad886d68">Re: Out of Date Words.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Out of Date Words. : You don't really call dinner "supper" do you?!
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

Dinner and supper are not the same meal here.  Dinner is eaten at about 4 pm.  Supper is 7 or so.  Usually you only have one or the other, but if you're really hungry. . .
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I refuse to believe that any of the words I use are "out of date".  Rather, I term them "classics" instead.

I did use the word sanquine earlier in conversation today.
  • I never knew cupboards was out of date, I never say cabinets.
  • Fetch.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • I call 'em cupboards, too...cabinets are like...storage devices in schools.

The Margarita Evolution
  • My aunt calls my leggings "Leggin's". As in the brand that was popular in the 80's.
  • True story: my high school had cubby holes instead of lockers. The whole cupboard vs. cabinet thing made me think of this.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I tried to make fetch happen :(

::rocks in corner while Jingle Bell Rock plays softly::
  • Anytime I hear 'fetch' I think of Mean Girls.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards