Not Engaged Yet

Your Relationship Quirks

So, John Tesh told me that having your own "language" and pet names are signs of a happy, healthy relationship. So, spill it! What are the things that are "just between us" in your relationship?

Here are a couple of mine:

-We sing to our cats. We'll take any song and turn the words into a song about Pouncival or Etcetera. For instance, "O Holy Night" becomes "O Sweetie Pounce, you're such a sweety pounceeeee... a sweety Pounce!" and "Jingle Bells" becomes "Et-cet-er-a, Et-cet-er-a, 'cetra can't be beeeeeeat! Oh what a sweet kitten, Etcetera can't be beeeeeeeat!"

-We have made-up words like "feet" for "sweet" and "fweepin'" for "sleeping".... and "tootie" for "cookie"....... I don't know, there are tons.
Anniversary

Re: Your Relationship Quirks

• hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF and I call each other puddin. I also call him slut muffin. And we have tickle fights. We also have something that we call the awkward turtle, which is what you use when someone says something awkard, you put your hands together and wag your thumbs like a sea turtle (there's also an awkward octopus and decapus).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    lol, hetshup! I love your awkward animals. That's cute.
    Anniversary
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, it's really hard to just wag your fingers with no thumbs, so that's where the decapus come from. It's also slightly nerdy... slightly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    BF & I have a ton of nick names for each other, it started with one and then branched out from there, some we use for each other (button, muffin, love button, but-ton, love face, love fish, love button face, button face, love muffin, etc...) then I have my own for him (pookabear, pooka, pooks, gay roommate, bear, & diesel) and then he's got a couple for just me (ladybear, LB,  & penguin). Usually though we just call each other button, or mines button or I'll call him pooks but the other ones come out when we're being silly.
    We do a lot of lolspeak when no one is around and sometimes in public we don't use words at all but have certain sounds that mean certain things like kiss me, i want to leave, gimme that, etc.
    We also write sayings on each others hands with our fingers instead of saying them out loud if we're being covert about something.
    We try to keep most of this stuff for just at home b/c it's pretty nauseating, but we do slip up every once in a while and don't notice until we see the funny looks. lol
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

we dont really have any silly nicknames for each other. we mostly just call each other babe or baby.

we do, however, have nicknames for the cats. we call jazzer: "jazzer-man" or "jazzy". sawyer is usually just "sh!thead" or "little bastard" [he's a pain in the butt, in case you couldnt tell by the names]. and mia has become "mia mia" "mamma mia" or "mia-mouse."

our favorite thing to do is make fun of each other. we have burping contests [ and let me tell you, i can beat him on a good day! haha]. we cuddle every night before i go to bed [i dont usually stay up as late as he does]. when we're out in public and holding hands, one of us with squeeze the other's hand to say i love you, without being nauseating to the people around us. we call arm pits "diddy pitties," i have no idea when/where this started, but it's what we do. what was originally supposed to be the "man cave" when he moved in, has become our little sanctuary to get away from everyone and everything. we're just us, kinda dorky, but we love it. haha.

• PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

OMG! Jeana! I thought I was the only one that did that!!!!! I sing to my pugs like that ALL the time.  Except Dan doesn't do it - he sits, listens and makes fun of me! lol In fact earlier I was singing Jingle bells but it was "Pug-a-lug Pug-a-lug Pug-a pug-a lugggggg" and I thought Dan was going to lose it laughing!

We also have nicknames for the pugs Mikey is Mukey/Tinker (like Stinker but for some reason we say thinker) and Molly is Mrs. Nesbitt or Nesbitt or Nez.

We also quote South Park and Fawlty Towers alot...like everything can relate back to it!!I It's lame but funny!

We are also lame like old people and we sit in bed and watch the Real Estate Network.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We don't really have any nicknames for eachother. We usually call each other Babe or Baby, but my name for him is Love and he calls me his Angel. When we're out in public we'll tell eachother "I love you" but we'll say it in sign language or by drawing i heart you and eachothers arms or legs so that other people won't notice. We like to leave eachother notes on the whiteboard we have on our fridge. We work different schedules so it's always nice to have something to see/read when we get home. And sometimes he'll make up songs and sing them to me when he's feeling really goofy. We're just a bunch of goofballs so laughter is a daily occurance in our house.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_relationship-quirks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:74590d06-39d4-47bf-85f8-d4a9cbd305f3Post:0d0c650c-c5a5-4c63-8740-bc29711de69d">Re: Your Relationship Quirks</a>:
    [QUOTE]We also quote South Park and Fawlty Towers alot...like everything can relate back to it!!I I
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

Ooohhhh, I knnnooooooooooowww!!!
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_relationship-quirks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:74590d06-39d4-47bf-85f8-d4a9cbd305f3Post:e25b305a-01e1-4530-871d-e89cec05a0a0">Re: Your Relationship Quirks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your Relationship Quirks : Ooohhhh, I knnnooooooooooowww!!!
    Posted by its apelila[/QUOTE]

hahahaha! Lurve it!!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say these are "quirks," but we call each other things like bunny, button, hunny, bunny puff, etc.  We have a kitten so we usually talk to him and make a big deal abou anything he does, kind of like a child.  I wish I could think of more but my mind is drawing a blank right now.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We dont really do any pet names or anything...just babe or baby. One thing we do that no one really gets other than us is make up conversations for people in funny voices we see on the street or driving. Hes really good at it and gets me rolling. I need work but i try and he just laughs at me. We also try to rap sometimes......we both suck at that.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a pet name for FI that I won't share.  He only calls me babe or baby. If he does use my first name, I know it's because he's pissed at me.  

Also, I sing when I cook sometimes.
  • anskaggsanskaggs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww this thread is making me smile.

My BF and I have a lot of names for each other. I call him Boog or Bubby sometimes.  "Boog" came from (okay, really gross confession time) sometimes to get on his nerves I'll pick my nose and put my boogers on his jeans. Eep!

He used to call me Cupcake because I went through a phase at the beginning of our relationship where I was sure I was going to be a cupcake master and that is what I was going to do with my life... then I made a bad batch that burned pretty bad and brought it to a Christmas party, got embarrassed, and never touched a cupcake pan again.  Now it's just the basic pet names for him.

We also hold each other's hands in public and squeeze them to say "I love you."  I also have a signal I make with my head that means that he should kiss my forehead.

We also change words that have a "v" in them to the "b" sound, because I was trying to teach him how to remember the different pronunciation of certain words in Spanish (the dialect I learned does that to its words) and then it turned into a habit.  For example, the most common, "nervous" becomes "nerbous"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards