Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Reception Venue Reviews?!

I need any and all advice regarding reviews of Pittsburgh reception venues!  We are lookiing at the Sheraton because it has everything we want....only we are going to be cutting it really tight with budget...all that money just for a reception makes my head hurt.  Any tips or advice for those of you who have done this before and looked back and have done it differently?  Or not?  THanks!!

Re: Reception Venue Reviews?!

• We looked into the city, but we did not want to go into debt for one day.  So we moved it out of the city and I feel a lot better about what we are paying. The only advice I can give you is to make sure when calculating prices you are figuring in taxes and tips.  They can add a good bit onto the price.  Plus since we are paying less I can do a lot more of the little things that I think my group of guests would appreciate more than a lavish hotel wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are saving money by having outside of Allegheny County - no added drink tax - yipppee!!
  • Oh the costs for one day made my head and wallet hurt too!  I suggest you make a list of what is most important to you on your wedding day and what you are willing to compromise on.  What about the venue is most important?  Is it the view?  The food?  Layout?  Location?  Let some people on here know your most important in the venue (general location helps alot) and that helps for better ideas. 

My top was how the venue felt and food.  I chose Riverside Landing in Oakmont.  It has a balcony overlooking the water with big picture windows to the river.  The food was great.  Big bonus is you bring in all the wine & spirits - Beer/soft drinks/mixers are provided for $6.50 pp.

Good luck!

• Avoid Allegheny county, as said above! I originally wanted a downtown wedding, but after considering costs for us, and for our guests (higher room rates, parking, etc) we went with the Doubletree Meadowlands in Washington. We looked at the Marriott by the airport, and i've been to a wedding at the Doubletree by the airport-Both were very nice, and less expensive than their downtown counterparts. 
    Watch out for 'room minimums' too... i know the doubletree downtown is 15,000 for a saturday night, and i've heard the Westin is closer to 30,000. And downtown, thats not including tax (our hotel includes tax in the room minimum). 

Good luck! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_reception-venue-reviews-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:5b330c1e-c9f2-45ad-86bd-9d6e5248ed62Post:6c72c5f9-b9f7-4e1e-b6e8-199adb3e027e">Re: Reception Venue Reviews?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Avoid Allegheny county, as said above! I originally wanted a downtown wedding, but after considering costs for us, and for our guests (higher room rates, parking, etc) we went with the <strong>Doubletree Meadowlands in Washington</strong>. We looked at the Marriott by the airport, and i've been to a wedding at the Doubletree by the airport-Both were very nice, and less expensive than their downtown counterparts.  Watch out for 'room minimums' too... i know the doubletree downtown is 15,000 for a saturday night, and i've heard the Westin is closer to 30,000. And downtown, thats not including tax (our hotel includes tax in the room minimum).  Good luck! 
    Posted by mcdonaa2[/QUOTE]

<div>That's my venue, too!  I chose it not only because I really loved the coordinator and the location but because downtown weddings are super pricey and not worth it, IMO.  My dream was always the Omni William Penn and their Saturday minimum is $30k.  </div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had our wedding at the Crowne Plaza Pittsburgh South across from South Hills Village mall.  I have nothing but positives to say about my experience and all my guests raved about the food/venue.  It was cheaper than many of the other hotels and included much more.  If you want more info or have questions PM me.  The wedding planner there is also SOO easy to work with!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards