Wisconsin

How much were your BM dresses?

Does $150-175 seem fair?

I guess I'm having sticker shock after looking at the styles I like (all long because it's a winter wedding).  I'm trying to pick a dress they could get shortened if they wanted and wear again, but I feel like long dresses are pretty hard to wear again and I guess that price just seems a little big too me.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How much were your BM dresses?

• edited December 2011
    My bm dresses are $240.  It was a little bit more, but I am also not making them buy shoes or jewelry, so it kind of evens out.  Plus it is a dress that everyone can wear again.  I think dresses on average range from $160-$300.  So I think that is a really fair price. 
  • molisarmolisar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours were around $180.  I think that price range is normal.
    My Furbaby Baxter Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    The one we have pick out right now it $139. I was trying really hard to find a dress for under $100 that everyone liked. But my MOH is the one who picked out the dress that was $139 and she is the one I was most worried about being able to afford the dress. So I would pretty much just see how much your BM are able to afford. 
  • SweetCharadeSweetCharade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The one we just picked out today is $216.
  • edited December 2011
    We did two different styles-- one $180 and the $220. I had sticker shock as well but this is pretty typical.
  • lwogslandlwogsland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mine were $80...for previous weddings i've paid $200-$250..
    id be happy if i were a BM and it was under $200
  • hdheinzhdheinz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours were $170.  They are buying their shoes, but I am buying their jewerly.

• edited December 2011
    I'm not making them buy new shoes (unless they want to of course) because they just need black shoes.  I'm also going to make them jewelry, so they won't need to buy that either.  I guess basically it's just the travel costs and the dress.

The back story is that we were thinking about having them made by a family friend who is making my dress, but she seemed a little overwhelmed with 4 BM and myself.  I think my mom would have "paid" her to make the BM dress (which is something else I kind of wanted to avoid since they are helping a lot), so the girls would have just bought fabric.  They all sucked with getting me measurements like I asked and now that we are done with school 2 live out of state and no one will be by the dressmaker.  I think in the end it's a better idea to just have them buy.  So I think buying them might be a little more expensive, so I haven't talked with them yet.  I wanted to look around and see how much they cost, and when I saw that number I was worried.  I guess I'm probably not going to find a floor length dress for cheaper than $150 and I'm pretty sure my girls wouldn't be cool wearing a short dress in January in WI, lol.

Thanks for your help!  It makes me feel a little better seeing the range in prices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My bridesmaids dresses are $57!  I bought them at Nordstroms on sale :)
    Anniversary
  • jackie5387jackie5387 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess I would ask your bridesmaids what they feel comfortable paying. Honestly, they are probably not going to wear the dress again. My bridesmaids purchased their dresses at Davids Bridal for $100. If your bridesmaids don't have a problem spending that much then go for it. If they do, I would check Davids Bridal because you are going to have a hard time finding something under $175 at a bridal store.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_much-were-bm-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:83b4c53e-6db3-4de9-a0c5-2f01a70ec79ePost:c403b707-14be-4e44-a9e9-07d865d43204">Re: How much were your BM dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My bridesmaids purchased their dresses at Davids Bridal for $100. If your bridesmaids don't have a problem spending that much then go for it. If they do, I would check Davids Bridal because you are going to have a hard time finding something under $175 at a bridal store.
    Posted by jackie5387[/QUOTE]

Actually the funny thing is that the 3 styles like the one they wanted at David's Bridal are MORE expensive than others I have seen.  They don't want strapless...which seems difficult at David's Bridal.  We might end up going there, especially since it's so much easier, but I was REALLY disappointed with DB.  They didn't have very many long styles with straps and they are all $150+!  I know short dresses are really in style for BM dresses, but I wish they'd give a little more to work with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatieD212KatieD212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine are $140 at The Bridal Event in Appleton
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Youre price range sounds reasonable and fair!

I think mine were between 125 and 150.  There are many options in that range or even up to 200 but above that, it is starting to get pricey for the BM's.  Think about the bigger picture and what they might up spending on your wedding, the mre considerate you can be about that the more appreciative they will be!  Sounds like you are on the right track for that too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • awolfe2awolfe2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want to look for dresses at a cheaper price and you're flexible about color try Victoria's Secret. Some of their dresses are really cute and most are under $100. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_much-were-bm-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:83b4c53e-6db3-4de9-a0c5-2f01a70ec79ePost:18afbba8-478b-4caa-a13f-d10ed07d8386">Re: How much were your BM dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to look for dresses at a cheaper price and you're flexible about color try Victoria's Secret. Some of their dresses are really cute and most are under $100. 
    Posted by awolfe2[/QUOTE]

I WISH the color was easy to find....We want floor length (because it's in January in WI) champagne BM dresses with straps (their request, mainly so they don't have to mess with it all night).  I think I actually found the one I/MOH really like from DB...At first I wasn't sure how'd it look because one of my girls is on the heavier side, but from the reviews it says that most plus size BM love this dress.  There were even some pics and they all looked great! And it's $145...which is standar DB price for long dresses I guess. I might still check out Victoria's Secret though..thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am in a wedding in Oct for a friend and the dresses we got came out to be like $140 because we got 20% off of them since she purchased her dress there at David's Bridal. I know of people who have gotten bm dresses from stores like J Crew, Ann Taylor, JC Penney's, Boston Store, etc for cheaper depending. My sister just said the other day that Jc Penney's I believe it was has all their Prom dresses on clearance or dirt cheap now. Could look there.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have short dresses picked out and they're $200, more than I'd like them to spend, but oh well..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards