Getting in Shape

New here - could use some help!

I am so frustrated with myself!!!  My name is Kim, and my FI's name is Scott.  And we are getting married on 10/23/10.  Here's my story -

I ordered my gown in September.  I tried it on, and could zip it, but it was REALLY tight, so tight that I could barely breathe and probably couldn't sit in it.  haha.  Knowing I wanted to lose weight anyways, I figured I would order it in that size, and I would only need to drop one or two dress sizes for the dress to fit comfortably without alterations.  So I was super motivated - joined a gym - and went a little bit - but haven't been in a month.

A couple of years ago, I lost 40lbs in 4 months by eating healthy and going to the gym 5 days a week.  I wish I could be that dedicated again, but I just don't feel it, ya know??  I REALLY need to find my motivation again to eat healthy and get my big butt to the gym regularly.  Any tips on finding your motivation again (and keeping it)?  For any of you ladies out there losing serious weight, how often do you exercise?

Re: New here - could use some help!

• Try SparkPeople I find learning about stuff helps motivate me (and talking to like minded people.),

New fitness gear gets me excited even if temporary. I picked up the 30 Day Shred DVD. That has me going fitness wise for now. LOL I have struggled the same and found if I focus on either eating right or working out the other one follows.

A few months back I cleaned out my kitchen from top to bottom if it wasn't healty it was gone then I re-stocked with new healthy organic foods, and that got me psyched on eating well.
     I love the Body For Life cookbook because it is way easy quick and the recipes are yummy. I also feel full and satisfied, NOT like I am on a diet or deprived at all! The recipes are sooo easy they even show you pictures of what to buy at the grocery store. LOL

I also have limited my eating out and if I know I am going out I get online and look up calorie/fat counts on the items on the menu for where we are going and make my decision on what to eat before I go. Keeps me from having to look at the tempting photos in the menus!

Coming here also helps for support and accountability!
  • Good Luck, by the way!

Also finding a buddy helps! Someone you can instant message, call or text with at moments of weekness or moments of success. I had one but she just moved to Germany and is totally off her program, she said for 6 months she will be drinking lots of beer and eating sausages!!!  
    heh heh
  • I agree with lifeizbeachy.  My friend Erin already told me she is going to stick with me to get me to the gym (she just had a baby).  I have a little less time (like i'm gettingt married in just over 2 months), so that is my motivation :)

I also bought the 30 Day Shread DVD and think that it will be a simple (or not so simple) way to get in a least a 20 minute workout everyday.

I know that this is going to sound lame, but I put little star stickers in my agenda on the days that I actually workout so I can see how well I'm doing.  It makes me feel better anyway...

I hope you find something that works for you.  You can always come on here and ask for a little motivation.  These nice ladies will help keep you motivatied :)  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Thanks ladies!  I plan to start the new year off right, by taking stock of the kitchen and heading to the gym.  I'm also going to buy a little notebook too keep track of my days - what I eat, when I exercise, etc.

I appreciate your comments and help!
  • You've received lots of good ideas so far. I am a giant fan of small rewards for a job well done. For example, I'll promise myself a new pair of sneakers if I get to the gym for 2 weeks straight, or a new pair of yoga pants. For awhile I actually had a calendar I was putting stickers on when I had a full day of healthy eating and went to the gym (two separate stickers)- then the stickers added up to something. I try not to reward myself with food, but occasionally I got a small (Edys 1/2 the fat) ice cream haha.

I like having buddies, but I can never find someone with the same schedule as me so sometimes I find online buddies (like on this message board) that will hold me accountable. I just started an elliptical challenge on my blog that I posted about below. All the participants set a goal for themselves (I did 120 minutes per week) and we log in our minutes on a shared spreadsheet. If you meet your goal at the end you win a prize:
    http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/2009/12/elliptical-challenge-2010.html

I did something similar with biking in NOvember/December and I met my goal even though I had to take 2 weeks off exercise when I had the flu. It's amazing how much more likely I am to get to the gym when I have people (even if I don't know them personally) counting on me. You never want to be the only one in a challenge who doesn't meet your goal. Anyway, hopefully you'll join us but even if not- definitely stay on this chatboard, it's very motivating and everyone has lots of great advice, you can do this!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards