North Carolina-Outer Banks

Event home?

Our local venue fell through on us so we're heavily considering a DW (if 6 hours constitutes a DW) at OBX. My dad and my sister agreed to split the rental for a home for a week so they can have a vacation at the beginning of the week and then hold the reception there.

We are only expecting about 10-12 people, including us. I know there are special rules for holding events there, but we're looking for more of a gathering-type reception rather than an all out party. Would we have to get a special event home for that or would just one with enough space do?
Anniversary

Re: Event home?

• JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Narwhal, welcome to the OBX board! 

I think you could definitely get away with a non event house in this case and just make sure it is large enough for your needs. KLK is looking to do the same thing right now as I know some of the other girls have done. 

I think** most rental companies allow up to the number of people for a gathering as there are beds for, so you can likely find a 4 bed that would be able to sleep that number of people (they don't need to actually be staying there).  But some of the others can confirm this.  If you can get away with not paying for an event house, that is a plus since they usually charge a fee.

Good luck!
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I forget to mention that I am sorry to hear about your venue falling through, how rude of me!  But I am sure it will work out great whatever you end up planning!  Let us know how we can help :)

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Narwhal,
    So sorry to hear about your venue falling through but perhaps it's just a blessing in disguise because now you get to be married in the beautiful Outer Banks! I hope you will find that the posters on this board are as helpful as can be and will try to help with any questions you may have.

I think your plan of 10-12 guests sounds wonderful and relaxing! Also, renting a non-event home is definitely the way to go. As other brides will tell you, event homes come with a fee that we all consider to be ridiculous. There are plenty of homes large enough to accomodate your group with lots of fun amenities. Have you looked around at all yet? Did you have an idea of what area of the OBX you like best? We have found that the homes in Nags Head are a bit cheaper but have more privacy (not near public beach access), and have fun amenities like pools, spas, game rooms, etc. If you give us some ideas of what you're looking for in a home, we can help make suggestions, as many of us have spent lots of time looking through listings in the areas surrounding OBX.

Hope this helps! Enjoy this time of planning and please feel free to ask anything you need. We are all here to help eachother! :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your responses!

I'm slightly familiar with the area, we vacation often and visit the different places... but I've only ever stayed in Hattaras. I'm open to anywhere, though.

We want to have the reception outdoors, if possible. So a spacious roof-top deck or a pool area sounds ideal right now. Any suggestions on what y'all are doing would be appreciated though!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am currently looking for a beach house to rent as well for the same thing, we are expecting about 20-25 people.  There are actually a lot of options out there, i searched for hours last night on sun realty, just because thats who we always rent from, but there are TONS of rental agencies.  I am not doing the event home, no need to pay all that money for family and friends to come hang out and have a good time.  Most of these sites have "virtual tours" and lots of pictures and you can narrow down your search to include properties with a pool, yard, beach front, ect.  My family usually rents a 4 bedroom house for a week in Nags Head and we've had up to 20 people over for "game nights" and such and fit perfectly.  Good luck with your search! If I find anything i'll definitley let you know, there's a lot out there and i'm sure you'll find exactly what you want!  Oh, also just make sure you check out the parking situation, some houses only fit 2 cars so one with a big drive way of next to a public parking area is ideal.  Hope this helps, goodluck!!!
  • edited December 2011
    This is the rental we are staying in and having the wedding in.  There will be 18 people there.  10 are staying in the house and the other 8 are in another house.  http://www.southernshores.com/rentals/property/990
    I've used this company for vacation in the past and they are great. 
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    How many bedrooms are you looking for and what is your family looking to spend?  That will make a huge difference.  Also do you plan to be ocean front or is being on the beach road ok?  If you are on the beach road in Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills area for ex, make sure the beach access is close.  Just because the house says it is less than 500 feet from the ocean, doesn't mean you won't have to walk half a mile to actually get on the beach.  Good luck!  I love searching for rental homes.  I find it fun to imagine the vacation we could have there :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Technically we will only need 3 or 4 bedrooms, but we're open to more if we need to have a bigger house for the reception, of course.

I'm not sure what they're planning on spending, but I wouldn't want to show something to them that was over $1000 for the week. Since we're planning on after Labor Day, it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. Everything I've seen is either around or well below that price.

Being on the beach road is fine, as long as it's a fine walking distance, but of course ocean front is ideal. ;) Probably just not for our price range.

I'm really not too picky about anything. I just want it to be a nice place that is convenient and has enough space for everyone to have a good time.
    Anniversary
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Twiddy is an amazing resource (I'm sure you've come across them in your searches) they have a huge inventory, and the most user-friendly website I found.  They also have a team dedicated to special events, but I think if you're only at about 15 ppl you wouldn't have to get a specific "event home" and pay the fee.  If you call them, they'd be able to tell you right away.  We booked our home through them and I've loved dealing with them so far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards