Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Wedding date dilemma...

Who would have thought choosing a wedding date would be so difficult! We finally agreed that we wanted to get married on July 7th 2012 because it is the same weekend we started dating 4 years ago, and it has significance for us. We're worried because it's technically a holiday weekend, people will not be able to attend.   I keep saying that we should do what feels special to us, but I'm still kind of concerned about it.  How would you feel about being invited to a holiday weekend wedding?  

Re: Wedding date dilemma...

• Options
    bballgirl8789bballgirl8789 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a lot of OOT guests on your list?  Because if so, it might be better for them since they'll be getting the holiday off and everything.  Even if you don't have a lot of OOT guests, I say do what you want and what is special for both of you.  You'll have a wonderful time no matter who shows up :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got married during Labor Day Weekend and it wasn't a problem.

Edit:  I sent out my STDs in January, 8 months before the wedding.
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's a problem.  Just make sure you send a Save the Date so that people know about it in advance.  My cousin got married on July 3rd this past summer and it was not an issue for her. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married Memorial Day weekend.  

I think it depends on your people.  If they are big going away for the 4th people it's not going to work, if they are hang at home people fine.  

Also send out STD early.  

We went with the weekend b/c we are in London, I'm  a teacher and I have off the next week.  Plus it's a holiday in the UK as well so it was one less day the Brits had to take off.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what PP said. We're getting married on July 3rd of this year, and we've found it's been helpful for our family because they have off work on the 4th and can be with us for the whole weekend. Just be sure to send out STDs early. We sent ours in December.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like Rachel, I'm getting married that weekend of this year, too.  I'm doing July 2nd.  And there are I think 2 more knotties that are also getting married that weekend.

Our reasoning was that we do have a significant amount of OOT guests.... and the only guests we know that have plans that weekend are our poker group, and we're always together for the 4th.  So instead of going to Red Bank, everyone is coming to Wilmington.  I don't think a poker game will break out at my wedding....but you never know!

It's totally fine.  We've only gotten lip about the date from one person.  I have two aunts who can't be there because they go away to Florida every year, which I didn't know.  Had I known, I would have let them know sooner.  They are disappointed that they won't be able to make it, but they haven't been mean or anything.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    teacup0618teacup0618 member
    edited December 2011
    I dont think It will be a problem. We are getting married on Labor day weekend this year. Just be sure to send your STDs early.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm another July 3, 2011 bride. We have a bunch of OOT guests and the ones who we've talked to about the date think it's a great idea. It gives them more time to visit/travel. We also get to do everything on a Sunday (Monday is a holiday), so many things are a good deal cheaper.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    To be completely honest... if I got an invitation that said July 7th, it would even occur to me that it was a "holiday" weekend.  I could understand if it was the 3,4,or 5... but the 7th?  I think that's fine.

PS... I went to wedding on July 4 this year, and the date never bothered me.  Well, that's not 100% true.  I was bummed that it was a Sunday evening wedding in Lancaster and I had to be in work at 5:30 am the next day. 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as Save the Dates go out well in advance of people making holiday plans you should be ok.  But we had friends who did a Labor Day Wedding and didn't do that... hardly anyone showed up since they'd already rented shore houses, or made plans to travel elsewhere.  I'd get the word out verbally through family first and then get out Save the Dates maybe a little earlier than usual. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards