Not Engaged Yet

Confessions/Unpopular Opinions

Re: Confessions/Unpopular Opinions

• edited July 2012
    I feel bad for those on the PSU football team, but what was done absolutely had to be done. The university, specifically the football program, needed to be punished without directly affecting academia. The players are allowed to leave, and although it is a really shitty situation for them, I am proud that SOMEONE took college sports off its pedestal for once. This segways into my UO: I think it is complete BS that student athletes receive more scholarships than students do for academics. You can have numerous extra curricular activities, a stellar GPA, great SAT scores...but get jack shiiiiit for school. OR you can be on the bowling team and go to that same school for free. We are essentially telling the youth in this country that working hard in school isn't what really matters.. playing a sport is.
    5/27/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:7a62c6bf-1ac2-45c7-aa20-dc07ec132e5a">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel bad for those on the PSU football team, but what was done absolutely had to be done. The university, specifically the football program, needed to be punished without directly affecting academia. The players are allowed to leave, and although it is a really shitty situation for them, I am proud that SOMEONE took college sports off its pedestal for once. This segways into my UO: I think it is complete BS that student athletes receive more scholarships than students do for academics. You can have numerous extra curricular activities, a stellar GPA, great SAT scores...but get jack shiiiiit for school. OR you can be on the bowling team and go to that same school for free. We are essentially telling the youth in this country that working hard in school isn't what really matters.. playing a sport is.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

PLEASE. Do NOT lump college sports as a whole into this PSU thing.

Also, don't talk about scholarships and monetary amounts for athletic scholarships unless you actually know what you are talking about.

The United States Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, was recently named into the Academic All-America Hall of Fame. He was a collegiate basketball player at Harvard. Ivy League schools provide no scholarships for their student-athletes, and yet produce some of the most elite athletes. Shall we knock him off his pedestal?

I'd be less worried about college sports telling youth that playing sports isn't what matters, and more about professional athletes... they get MILLIONS of dollars and ZERO education. Paterno may have been a total assswipe, but he made sure his football players got educations. The program had its 50th Academic All-American last season, as a math major with six straight 4.0 semesters.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:4ac761ef-3acc-4236-8da2-b5f649ce52d9">Re: Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I have the UO about Penn State, I suppose. And this is coming from someone deeply entrenched in college athletics. So, take it as you will. I have a completely different viewpoint than most of you. I DON'T think it's fair to punish the current student-athletes for things they had absolutely nothing to do with. Everyone who had anything to do with Sandusky, Paterno, Spanier and Curley is gone. They cleaned house. There is no football coach or athletic administrator left who had anything to do with it. If there were still people there who were involved in the cover up, they should be gone. However, by placing some of the sanctions down that they did, they are affecting every single student-athlete, across the board. Penn State has 29 varsity sports. The revenue created by the football program ALONE sustains the entire athletic department (it is also like this at schools like Ohio State, Michigan, etc.). So, by not allowing the football program to compete in Bowl Games, they are taking away opportunities for every student-athlete in all 29 of those sports. Was the culture built by Paterno fucked up? Sure was. I am not trying to say that there shouldn't have been penalties/sanctions/what have you. But the NCAA just altered the lives of hundreds of student-athletes. I don't know PSU's exact numbers, but for reference, we have 19 sports here, and over 400 SA's... do the math. That isn't even counting the hundreds of SA's affected by the complete re-writing of the record books. When Paterno was fired, my head football coach became the all-time active wins leader in Division I football. He doesn't agree with the sanctions, and he could actually get some new players out of it. After talking to him yesterday, and throughout meetings today, this is where my feelings/thoughts/opinions are coming from. Again, take it as you will... I am not condoning the behavior, culture, events, etc. There's just a much bigger picture than the past football program. Also, I have a wedding board on Pinterest, and I am single. Since my douche of an ex-boyfriend had me convinced he was buying me an engagement ring that he would be giving me this summer, I feel justified in having it, especially since I haven't posted anything on there since before Christmas. Shun away.
    Posted by BriSox81[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>ITA. The sanctions have far-reaching impact on the entire campus. As someone who works at a huge university but has nothing to do with anything in athletics, I would be upset at the loss of revenue and the financial ramifications for the larger campus community.</div><div>
    </div><div>I also agree with Jaycee though that the focus of a college or university should be academics, NOT athletics.</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• This is more of a "we get it," but... Becunning, you speak Latin. I think that's wicked cool, and I think you're wicked cool, but I've started rolling my eyes a little at all the Latin you use in your posts here. Could we maybe default back to English?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:c09ab879-3517-4412-90eb-d3d839557175">Re: Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unpopular opinion: I have no idea why but I think Audis only look good in black. I cringe when I see one in any other color. Especially red. I don't know why those especially irk me. I'm weird. Confession: Since our vacation I've been questioning my relationship. Like Beth described above (and like I admitted in my post-vacation post) I'd been hoping that Mo might propose over our trip. About a year ago, I sort of set this time as a soft "deadline" (wrong word, but I can't think of a better one right now) for when I'd need to feel like we were beginning to move forward, if not with an actual engagement then with a discussion initiated by him during which I felt like we were on the same page. This hasn't happened. Yes, I know this timeline was mainly in my head, though I've been up front with him about my need to progress, but the fact that we hit yet another relationship "milestone" (vacation) without a proposal hit me pretty hard. I'm wondering if he will EVER be ready to commit. I'm wondering if I will come through this without feeling completely resentful. I'm wondering if our goals are in line at this point. I know we need a big discussion about this, and I'm scared.  That's a big confession for a Tuesday. Also, this may be a bit of a P&R as I'm leaving work shortly, but I'll be back on tonight.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Mo has not initiated any kind of future discussion? Dislike. :(</div><div>
    </div><div>I agree that it's really scary, but I do think that you will resent Mo, and ultimately it will affect how you feel about yourself, if you don't talk to him about where he sees the relationship heading and in what kind of timeframe.</div><div>
    </div><div>You are too wonderful to wait around on someone who isn't going to be able to commit to you in the way that you want.</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited July 2012
    I didnt read your whole post cause I'm at work so I'll come back to it, but I do know what I'm talking about. I worked in both financial aid and accts payable/receivable for my university and we discussed these issues on a daily basis. Many of my coworkers and bosses worked for various other universities in the past.
    5/27/12
  • HuckSCHuckSC member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    My UO: Chick-fil-A and the Boy Scouts can have any opinion about LGBT people they want because they are private companies. Do I wish that they would support them and not purposfully (sp?) donate and exclude of course. One of my oldest and dearest friends and if I ever had a wedding ceremony he would stand up beside me is gay. I still believe that in this country private companies can still hold their own belief and choose to act in how they see fit. Will I support people boycotting chicken sandwhiches. Oh yeah. And I would never want a son of mine in the boyscouts until they included everyone. But they can do what they want to do.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:5e19fecd-8b39-44c8-b55d-e29b31317e4e">Re: Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My UO: Chick-fil-A and the Boy Scouts can have any opinion about LGBT people they want because they are private companies. Do I wish that they would support them and not purposfully (sp?) donate and exclude of course. One of my oldest and dearest friends and if I ever had a wedding ceremony he would stand up beside me is gay. I still believe that in this country private companies can still hold their own belief and choose to act in how they see fit. Will I support people boycotting chicken sandwhiches. Oh yeah. And I would never want a son of mine in the boyscouts until they included everyone. But they can do what they want to do.
    Posted by HuckSC[/QUOTE]

This is a UO? I don't think anyone disagrees that chick-fil-a, as a privately owned company, has the right to whatever ass backward point of view they want. Just because we don't in general support their stance doesn't mean we think they shouldn't be allowed to have it.
  • Bri, what do you think should have happened to the football program at PSU? I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm honestly curious. Do you think they should have been allowed to continue on, business as usual, simply because the people involved are gone? 

I think the message this sends is the important part, and I think it took drastic measures in order for that message to come across as clearly as it does. 

I also don't understand where the example of the Secretary of Education comes into play here? He didn't get an athletic scholarship, so that's not what Jaycee was talking about at all. I agree with her that it's frustrating to see athletes get into better schools than people who are stronger academically. I understand the argument about the huge amount of revenue athletics generates for the school as a whole, but to me college is supposed to be about academics, not sports, so it's difficult to stomach sometimes. It's a very complicated issue, and I don't think there is a black and white answer.

I also think my opinion can be valid without knowing the intricacies of the financial or athletic side of higher education.
  • edited July 2012
    Okay, I got on a computer because TK mobile sucks. Bri, I worked in both financial aid and accts payable/receivable during the four years I was at my university. I spent a good majority of my time cleaning up student athlete accounts in which the student was actually getting paid excess to go to school there. Then I would work on accounts of students with 4.0 GPAs, student leaders on campus, etc and they would be lucky to have a couple grand. I also watched these same student athletes (obviously not all) sleep in class, shiiit on presentations/projects we were assigned, and get pushed through with their embarrassing GPAs because they were athletes.

A good majority of my co-workers/bosses came from other universities and we would discuss this 'opinion' very often. I'm not discussing a topic that I'm uneducated on, and this is also an opinions thread. I would appreciate it if you didn't accuse me of speaking about topics I don't know.

ETA: I also want to add that my UO had nothing to do with Penn State, Joe Paterno, or anything you mentioned. It was colleges in general in this country.
    5/27/12
  • HuckSCHuckSC member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:dcca4a9d-2037-4cff-8014-ed5a9b8afa62">Re: Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions/Unpopular Opinions : This is a UO? I don't think anyone disagrees that chick-fil-a, as a privately owned company, has the right to whatever ass backward point of view they want. Just because we don't in general support their stance doesn't mean we think they shouldn't be allowed to have it.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

I feel very in the middle about that topic because I don't think they are "standing up for whats right", but I also don't think they should be forced to change their ways. This opinion is VERY unpopular here in SC.

Confession: I'm really wanting to have an updated timeline talk with the bf soon, but kinda nervous to do it before he has multiple family coming down to see him in the next few weeks. 
  • Confession: I haven't showered since Sunday morning, and I just brushed my hair for the first time since I got out of that shower.  In addition, I haven't worn a bra in two days because there has been no purpose in really even getting out of bed.

I also confess that it is 85 degrees in my bedroom because my parents don't really believe in AC, and I'm positive it's not helping my desire to get out of bed because the heat is so repressive.

I confess that this job situation knocked me way more off more horse than I wanted it to, or even that I'm willing to admit to almost anyone, and that I'm finding it really hard to stay positive, even though it's only been a little over a week.  I confess that I'm feeling pretty positive that no one will ever hire me because I don't want my previous company to provide a reference.
    I french with my man
  • I expected and got that from my BF, not from here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:a0fc8686-4159-4457-939e-b5a1abb766c7">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I expected and got that from my BF, not from here.
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming this is in response to my post.

I'm not trying to hurt or upset you.  Just being honest.  And for all I know, I'm the only person who feels that way.
  • Confession: it is hard to love something alone without others who also love it. I don't think you realize what a sore spot you just hit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:2e013d1b-49eb-46cf-aa7d-af3af85ccdd0">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions : I'm assuming this is in response to my post. I'm not trying to hurt or upset you.  Just being honest.  And for all I know, I'm the only person who feels that way.

Elle you aren't but I just skip over it.  Becunning is really excited about Latin and so has a right so.  She loves Latin.  The way I deal with it when people are overly excited I ignore it.  Elle has her moments with grammar, yes there are posts with misspellings and grammar mistakes, I know I have done it many times.  Elle feels the need to fix them cause they irk her.  I just acknowledge it and move on.
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:cfe76a20-9fa2-4878-a465-7fe4e5d3a4de">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession: it is hard to love something alone without others who also love it. I don't think you realize what a sore spot you just hit.

Ok...  I'm sorry I hit a sore spot.  But it's not like you're being ostracized.  We've talked multiple times on the board about how cool it is that you're so into Latin.  I just feel like, lately, it's been a little bit much.  Even if it's not your intention, it kind of seems like you're like "hey, look how smart I am" every time you throw in a Latin phrase.

I also find your comment that you expected this from your BF but not from here to be pretty strange.  You expect criticism from your BF, but you expect to be treated more kindly by internet strangers?  That's odd, no?

Anyway, sorry if I hurt your feelings.  That wasn't my intention.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:78935967-cdc2-464f-8c02-93845b3ad77e">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions : Elle you aren't but I just skip over it.  Becunning is really excited about Latin and so has a right so.  She loves Latin.  The way I deal with it when people are overly excited I ignore it.  <strong>Elle has her moments with grammar, yes there are posts with misspellings and grammar mistakes,</strong> I know I have done it many times.  Elle feels the need to fix them cause they irk her.  I just acknowledge it and move on.
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

Ha, yeah, I know.  And I swear, I always try to stop myself from correcting them but I... just... can't...
  • It's hard to explain, and I'm on my phone: he has always been more short about the Latin stuff. And this is the place where we have always sans crazies been liked for who we are. I just got back from a week retreat on Latin. I'm more excited. But try to imagine what it would be like if strangers asked you all the time why you'd bother reading Harry Potter instead of getting geeked out about it. Or if you just got back from Harry Potter world and no one cared... Or your husband essentially cut you off because what does he really know about potter anyway? Yes, I'm hurt. Latin camp was amazing because I was surrounded by people who love Latin as much as I do. I apologize if I sounded snobby. I was just excited because I had learned this words there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:7fd365b6-f507-4b70-9a5e-dff0d3229c20">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions : Ha, yeah, I know.  And I swear, I always try to stop myself from correcting them but I... just... can't...

Addictions.... first step is admitting them ;)  Its ok I see it more as an OCD.  I have a few of my own.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:006b3597-16fe-4cde-b39c-19b812c8eb49">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's hard to explain, and I'm on my phone: he has always been more short about the Latin stuff. And this is the place where we have always sans crazies been liked for who we are. I just got back from a week retreat on Latin. I'm more excited. But try to imagine what it would be like if strangers asked you all the time why you'd bother reading Harry Potter instead of getting geeked out about it. Or if you just got back from Harry Potter world and no one cared... Or your husband essentially cut you off because what does he really know about potter anyway? Yes, I'm hurt. Latin camp was amazing because I was surrounded by people who love Latin as much as I do. I apologize if I sounded snobby. I was just excited because I had learned this words there.
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I know you're going through a really challenging time with your BF right now, and I don't think anyone here is trying to add to that. Honestly, I've not really noticed the latin more than before, but I think it's really unfair to accuse us of "not caring". Many people voiced how excited we were for you when you got back. I also fail to see where anyone here is "cutting you off".  I also think the Harry Potter example is a little off base. We don't speak the language you're using in posts. Most people can at least relate to Harry Potter in some way. </div><div>
    </div>
  • My bf cut me off. And I was trying to make a comparisonlike imagine if something you loved no one understood. I fail at iPhone knotting. And yes, this group has been very supportive of my geekiness, that's why it surprised me and why I didn't expect it here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:b79cc8dc-6480-4e59-8488-198adbd34b5a">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My bf cut me off. And I was trying to make a comparisonlike imagine if something you loved no one understood. I fail at iPhone knotting. And yes, this group has been very supportive of my geekiness, that's why it surprised me and why I didn't expect it here.

<div>If it makes you feel better, as the other one on this board who can't keep her languages straight, I appreciate the Latin.  Because I feel like it validates my German thoughts.</div>
    I french with my man
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:b79cc8dc-6480-4e59-8488-198adbd34b5a">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My bf cut me off. And I was trying to make a comparisonlike imagine if something you loved no one understood. I fail at iPhone knotting. And yes, this group has been very supportive of my geekiness, that's why it surprised me and why I didn't expect it here.

Honestly, I <em>have</em> gotten reactions like that to my Potter obsession before.  My mother makes snide little comments all the time when I geek out about it.  My own husband said "that's retarded" when I told him about the Harry Potter bangles I was giving my BMs for the wedding.  Honestly, I was more upset about him using the word "retarded" than the sentiment.

People aren't always going to get the things you like.  You can take it personally, but you'll spend a lot of time feeling hurt.

Truthfully, I thought about the Harry Potter thing and wondered if I was being hypocritical before I made my post.  But I decided I wasn't, because (1) like Jorja said, HP is something that a lot of people can relate to here, (2) it's not an <em>intellectual</em> thing, like Latin is (imagine if all of Sak's posts related to neurotransmitters or something -- you know you would get annoyed with it), and (3) if I really talk about HP so much that other people are annoyed, then I want to know anyway so I change the behavior.   It won't offend me, and it won't make me feel like I should love it less.
  • Confession:  FI and I put down our dog today.  I'm so so sad.

UO:  I agree with the sanctions against Penn State...but I still feel bad for the players who were completely innocent parties in the entire situation.

• Confession: I often wonder what life is like for other couples behind closed doors. Some of my married friends NEVER complain, say anything negative, etc and it makes me wonder if that is a really good or really bad thing. I know it's none of my business, I'm just genuinely curious.
    5/27/12
  • I'm so sorry, Shoes :(
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_confessionsunpopular-opinions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1b163389-850a-43b4-b96e-241ada9d5caePost:60ddac85-47a5-4988-9e69-f860750f4417">Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Confessions/Unpopular Opinions : Honestly, I have gotten reactions like that to my Potter obsession before.  My mother makes snide little comments all the time when I geek out about it.  My own husband said "that's retarded" when I told him about the Harry Potter bangles I was giving my BMs for the wedding.  Honestly, I was more upset about him using the word "retarded" than the sentiment. People aren't always going to get the things you like.  You can take it personally, but you'll spend a lot of time feeling hurt. Truthfully, I thought about the Harry Potter thing and wondered if I was being hypocritical before I made my post.  But I decided I wasn't, because (1) like Jorja said, HP is something that a lot of people can relate to here, (2) it's not an  intellectual thing, like Latin is (imagine if all of Sak's posts related to neurotransmitters or something -- you know you would get annoyed with it), and (3) if I really talk about HP so much that other people are annoyed, then I want to know anyway so I change the behavior.   It won't offend me, and it won't make me feel like I should love it less.

I would feel the same way about the retarded comment, Elle. H will occasionally say stuff like that and it really hurts me. To him they are just words, but it makes my skin crawl and stomach sink.

As for the Latin, Becunning, I'm on the same line of thinking that Lyn is. I don't speak or understand Latin, so I just kind of graze over anything like it. I also do the same for any other posts about things I have no zero knowledge about. I can speak French fairly fluently, but I'm pretty sure most people on the board don't so I just don't mention it. FWIW, I do think it is VERY awesome!

Shoes, I'm sorry about your dog <3
    5/27/12
  • I don't think Latin is intellectual. It's just a language, like any other. Maybe that's why it hurts though: I have to soapbox why Latin is awesome to all sorts of random people... Like the gal who gave me a pedicure why do schools offer Latin anyway, why bother?. Then I have to wonder whether I'm crossing the annoying line for something I'm passionate about. I wish I were back at Latin camp. : Thanks Peek. 3
  • Apparently U/O: I think the Latin is super cool. Even if I don't understand a language, I love to see and hear other people speaking different languages. It makes me wish I were actively speaking/studying another language. I miss studying languages so much and I like to see people embracing their awesome language skills, no matter how random. It's very cool to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards