Catholic Weddings

Confession....

Tomorrow is my first Confession, any advice?? I only have about 1 week left in the RCIA program and I am looking forward to finishing. Also, is there any type of books or anything you would recommend for me to learn more about the Catholic Faith?

Re: Confession....

• edited December 2011
    Hi! I actually was just confirmed at 2:30 today. I did my first confession last week. I guess the only advice I have is to remember the priest is there to help you with forgiveness for your sins, not to punish you. That advice is what helped me to not be so scared. I just brought a copy of the things you are supposed to say and then a list of sins that I wanted to mention, almost like preparing for a very short speech. It actually felt great to get things off of my chest. Good luck!
  • pjseabeepjseabee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No matter how scared you are going into it, you'll feel so much better afterwards.  It's a great release of all that weighs you down.  Congrats & Good Luck!
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_confession-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:92166079-4803-496a-84de-a051c88aaf10Post:83756103-a01e-4b07-b87e-0f7031a84816">Re: Confession....</a>:
    [QUOTE]No matter how scared you are going into it, you'll feel so much better afterwards.  It's a great release of all that weighs you down.  Congrats & Good Luck!
    Posted by pjseabee[/QUOTE]

Ditto--it is such a release every time. Don't be nervous--I'm sure the priest will help you out, especially if he is aware this is your first confession
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I went to my first confession (I was confirmed in April of 2007), I sat down beginning several days in advance and wrote down every single thing I could think of that I felt I should confess to. 

I basically started with the 7 major sins and went from there. It really helped me to write it out first I guess.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • ag.4.24.10ag.4.24.10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Last night I actually made a list of things so I hope this will help. I am not nervous about it right now but I am sure before I go in tonight I will be. We will see.

• Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is a great and useful link on making a good confession:

www.scborromeo.org/confess.htm

God bless you!
  • edited December 2011
    That's the same website I was going to recommend to you. Everything will be fine, remember, just talk about something that you need to get off your back and feel comfortable with. I was a little nervous last year at this time too having went thru RCIA, but everything was fine. Good luck to you and welcome into the Church! Its such an exciting time. My FI proposed to me after my confirmation.
  • edited December 2011
    I did my first confession on Friday
    Liberating!
    I wrote down a lot of things before hand and that helped.
    I went through the 10 commandments and saw which ones I didn't follow.
    then I went through and thought about how I injured my relationship with:
    Relationship with God
    Relationship with Community
    Relationship with Myself.

Hope that helps!!
    Good luck!
    The priest is there to help you. They've heard it all!!
  • edited December 2011
    I just went to my first Confession on Saturday!  You posted this yesterday, so you've probably already gone, but if not, remember to bring a print out of what you need to say with you!  I didn't even think about this, and luckily, the girl ahead of me had a copy that she gave to me.  Don't be too nervous...it truly was an amazing and rewarding experience.  And congratulations on entering the Church this weekend!!!!
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • ag.4.24.10ag.4.24.10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So my first confession went better than I thought it was going to. I cried a little but it went good! Thanks for all the advice and support!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards