New Jersey

Timing on Inivtiation

Hey !

Our wedding ceremony begins at 6 pm.  What time should we put on the invitation for people to arrive? 
5:30?
5:45?
6?

What have you guys seen and how does it work out?  We want to start promptly at 6pm.

E

Re: Timing on Inivtiation

• edited December 2011
    put 6pm....if people are late, they're late. I would be pissed as a guest if I showed up at 5:30 for a wedding that really wasn't supposed to start till 6.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should put 6 pm.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

I disagree, I put 5:00, people where still walking in at 5:25 for a 5:30 ceremony.  Personally I would never be late as I am always early but our friends/family would definitely think 5:30 was not the start time and they had 15-20 minutes to spare.

• edited December 2011
    Put 5:30.  You are going to want people to start sitting at 5:45 so you can actually line up at 5:55 and start at 6.   We had champagne with raspberries in the bottom, water with lemon, and white wine for those arrived. 
  • kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    If someone walks in 20 minutes late, so be it, you can't accomodate everyone.

Honestly, most of the time things start about 5-10 minutes late.  If you're start time is 6, you probably not actually starting until 6:05-6:10ish.  I don't see a need for putting an hour early.  The majority of people will be on time and really irritated if they sit there for 30-60 minutes before it begins.  Remember, if the invitation says 5, there are a lot of people who will get there between 4:30 and 4:45 because they don't want to be late.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Tif I always arrive 15-30 minutes before. I would be pretty pissed if I showed up at 5:00 for a 6:00 pm ceremony because the invitation said 5:30.
  • edited December 2011
    I have 5 on my invites, and plan on walking down at 5:10.  If someone is late, then so be it.  Most know that if they see the wedding party walking down the aisle, they need to wait until the bride has gone down, and then sneak in on the sides and sit down. 
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    Is this in a church or at a reception venue? In a church I have always seen them start just about on time, at a venue there is usually some lag time but they are serving drinks.

I assumed it was a church when I first read this, but if it's at the venue I think it's OK to put the start time a little bit early if they are serving drinks.
  • edited December 2011
    i got married at the venue- ceremony was at 630 and we put 630 on the invites and it was fine...and agree w/ all pp - id be pissed if i rushed to get there at 5 and it started at 6...

if its at the venue or church - the ushers or wait staff will know to hold the few guests who are late back until the wedding party and bride have all walked down...
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_timing-inivtiation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:0b91398a-6939-41cf-a10b-0d493b27e35aPost:cc0de5f8-265a-42b0-a9e2-f5079822a700">Re: Timing on Inivtiation</a>:
    [QUOTE]If someone walks in 20 minutes late, so be it, you can't accomodate everyone. Honestly, most of the time things start about 5-10 minutes late.  If you're start time is 6, you probably not actually starting until 6:05-6:10ish.  I don't see a need for putting an hour early.  The majority of people will be on time and really irritated if they sit there for 30-60 minutes before it begins.  Remember, if the invitation says 5, there are a lot of people who will get there between 4:30 and 4:45 because they don't want to be late.
    Posted by kewltif[/QUOTE]

I started at my start time, no ifs ands or butts, i was not started late i refused to start late and if i did i would have been bridezilla, my guitarist even said i may have started earlier, he had to jump from one song to the processional song quickly.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    6, don't lie to people.
  • SimplySLBSimplySLB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue requested that I put a half hour before the ceremony start time, on my invitation. I wish it was just 15 minutes early, but it's what they ask their brides to do. I know people will probably get there a little early, but we are having champagne and things for when guests arrive. Also, a bunch of my guests are coming on the shuttle and won't arrive until 5:45.

I guess it just depends on what the venue suggests, what you are comfortable doing and so on. I know some venues close the doors once the ceremony starts and no guests are allowed in after that time.
  • kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_timing-inivtiation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:0b91398a-6939-41cf-a10b-0d493b27e35aPost:dd1e3596-4e46-4a62-8082-c69cb18afc47">Re: Timing on Inivtiation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Timing on Inivtiation : I started at my start time, no ifs ands or butts, i was not started late i refused to start late and if i did i would have been bridezilla, my guitarist even said i may have started earlier, he had to jump from one song to the processional song quickly.
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

Actually, you started 30 minutes late according to your invitations.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_timing-inivtiation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:0b91398a-6939-41cf-a10b-0d493b27e35aPost:cc0de5f8-265a-42b0-a9e2-f5079822a700">Re: Timing on Inivtiation</a>:
    [QUOTE]If someone walks in 20 minutes late, so be it, you can't accomodate everyone. Honestly, most of the time things start about 5-10 minutes late.  If you're start time is 6, you probably not actually starting until 6:05-6:10ish.  I don't see a need for putting an hour early. <strong> The majority of people will be on time and really irritated if they sit there for 30-60 minutes before it begins. </strong> Remember, if the invitation says 5, there are a lot of people who will get there between 4:30 and 4:45 because they don't want to be late.
    Posted by kewltif[/QUOTE]

<div>This. </div><div>
    </div><div>If guests are late because of traffic, lost, etc., so be it.  In my opinion it is much more important that you accommodate the people who are making a big effort to  come to your special day than to inconvenience them more just so you aren't interrupted.  </div>
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are putting a 6:15 start time for our 6:30 ceremony.  It's at the venue and we are only alotted 30 minutes for  the ceremony so I will be walking down that isle at 6:30.  We are having the shuttle arrive at 6:15 that way everyone is seated by 6:30.  If they arrive earlier the venue will serve them champagne and water. 
  • edited December 2011
    My guests got an extra time cocktail hour, I did not start a half hour late, only the bride and groom know there guests, and half my guests were showing up at 25 min past, I was not going to have someone hold them to the side and have commotion when they were being seated. That would have pissed me off because I notice everything vows or not.
  • kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_timing-inivtiation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:0b91398a-6939-41cf-a10b-0d493b27e35aPost:b06309cf-72ef-4b8d-8441-f35f7c9fa038">Re: Timing on Inivtiation</a>:
    [QUOTE]My guests got an extra time cocktail hour, I did not start a half hour late, only the bride and groom know there guests, and half my guests were showing up at 25 min past, I was not going to have someone hold them to the side and have commotion when they were being seated. That would have pissed me off because I notice everything vows or not.
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

So you got married at the venue. That is VERY different than having your guests sit for an extra half hour at a church.  If they were being served drinks, then I don't think it's an issue.
  • edited December 2011
    We put the actual start time of our ceremony on the invites. I tend to get to places right on time (not early) because I hate sitting around waiting. So as a guest I wouldn't want to sit there (with or without drinks) for 30 minutes waiting for the ceremony to start. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!! Sorry for not responding sooner -  it is NOT at a church - it is AT the venue.

From reading your responses I'm thinking of putting 5:45 for a 6pm start.    We want the ceremony to START at 6pm and not people to get there at 6pm.
  • Pink7781Pink7781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_timing-inivtiation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:0b91398a-6939-41cf-a10b-0d493b27e35aPost:7e6b92cb-8e80-4bca-8cdd-e3639cec5bfb">Re: Timing on Inivtiation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow!! Sorry for not responding sooner -  it is NOT at a church - it is AT the venue. From reading your responses I'm thinking of putting 5:45 for a 6pm start.    We want the ceremony to START at 6pm and not people to get there at 6pm.
    Posted by ecg129[/QUOTE]

Put the time that your ceremony is going to start. People have enough sense to show up early and will be really mad if they have to sit and wait.
  • edited December 2011
    Our venue asks us to put our start time 1/2 hour before our actual ceremony.  Our invitation will say 6:00 PM, but the ceremony won't start until 6:30.  Knowing my family, it will work out just fine, since everyone is always late.  For those guests arriving early, they will have champagne.

I'm not too worried about it!
  • DS0305DS0305 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That just seems weird to me to put the wrong time on the invitation.  I'm the type that gets there 15-30 minutes early anyway so I'd be annoyed if I have to wait even longer.

I put 3:00pm on my invitation and that's what time I plan to start the ceremony and if people are late than that's their problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards