Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Measurements?

I have been a bridesmaid in at least nine weddings and have from time to time had to go into a bridal shop (that we hadnt ordered the dress from) to get measured for an out of town wedding.  I have never been charged for this, I always understood it as it comes back around in the business, like when girls order dresses from them they will probably have some bridesmaids out of town that have to get measured elsewhere... anyway a couple of my girls went in to get measured at the place we ordered ur tuxes from and not the bridesmaids dresses and they charged them!  It kinda makes me mad lol... we ordered 15 tuxs from them and they couldnt measure a couple of my out of town girls?  Maybe Im off on this, what are your experiences?

Re: Bridesmaid Measurements?

• My BM bought their dresses from Pearl's Place and were all measured at places local to them for free.  Our GM live in different countries to our wedding and they were also measured at various places for free.  

• amberdawn2344amberdawn2344 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Thank you, that has been my experience as well!
  • I had two out of town bridesmaids for my wedding. I just found a boutique near where they lived and had them order their dresses locally (as the price was comparable to the cost at the boutique I was using anyway). I don't see what the issue is with this. Or - have your BMs get their dresses from a chain - David's or Macy's are good options.

And I completely understand a bridal shop charging for measurements - you're asking them to take time out to provide you a service, but you aren't buying anything from them. Why do you think they would just take measurements for free?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've only been a bridesmaid once, but we paid a small fee to have our measurements taken at a different bridal shop than where we purchased the dresses. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• amberdawn2344amberdawn2344 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-measurements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:049fc042-e067-4860-bd7a-592b98d18a4bPost:2c64f76d-d390-493d-ae27-04d8eec44e42">Re: Bridesmaid Measurements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had two out of town bridesmaids for my wedding. I just found a boutique near where they lived and had them order their dresses locally (as the price was comparable to the cost at the boutique I was using anyway). I don't see what the issue is with this. Or - have your BMs get their dresses from a chain - David's or Macy's are good options. And I completely understand a bridal shop charging for measurements - you're asking them to take time out to provide you a service, but you aren't buying anything from them. Why do you think they would just take measurements for free?
    Posted by MrsMuq[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We ordered 15 tuxedos from them, but I live 14 huors from where im getting married so I wanted to get my dress where I live so it would be easier to do fittings etc.  I also wanted to get my girls dresses at the same place as mine so I could have it all in the same place.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-measurements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:049fc042-e067-4860-bd7a-592b98d18a4bPost:68e757cc-e8ad-4087-a706-7e3e590b345c">Re: Bridesmaid Measurements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Then expect your girls to have to pay for a SERVICE (having their measurements taken) rather than expect someone to give their time and money for free. Those people make their living doing this. Don't mooch off them.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I just decided to take my business for my 2500 in tuxedos somewhere that do my gals measurements as a courtesy to their customers.  No biggie, I can get the same tuxes and am happy to give them our business.   Sometimes having good business practice and helping people out benefit a small business.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-measurements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:049fc042-e067-4860-bd7a-592b98d18a4bPost:5fd2241a-4532-4dfb-974b-cddb60943b6f">Bridesmaid Measurements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been a bridesmaid in at least nine weddings and have from time to time had to go into a bridal shop (that we hadnt ordered the dress from) to get measured for an out of town wedding.  I have never been charged for this, I always understood it as it comes back around in the business, like when girls order dresses from them they will probably have some bridesmaids out of town that have to get measured elsewhere... anyway a couple of my girls went in to get measured at the place we ordered ur tuxes from and not the bridesmaids dresses and they charged them!  It kinda makes me mad lol... we ordered 15 tuxs from them and they couldnt measure a couple of my out of town girls?  Maybe Im off on this, what are your experiences?
    Posted by amberdawn2344[/QUOTE]

Time is money. One would think that they wouldn't charge if they were measured while you were there ordering all the tuxes.
  • For our wedding, one of my BMs was not able to come dress shopping with us, so she got her measurements done elsewhere.  That bridal shop where she got them done did not charge her.  In addition, four of our GMs had to get measured at a tuxedo shops where they lived, as opposed to the local shop where we ordered tuxes from.  None of these four shops charged the GMs for measurements.  I suppose that the business has the right to charge for measurements if they want to, but it has also been my experience that free measurements are customary.
  • I agree they absolutely have the right to charge, I just had never experienced it before that's all I was asking about other people's actual experiences thank you ladies who answered my question I appreciate your feedback
  • Was this a place that offers women's and men's wedding fashions and alterations?

If they do women's alterations, they should measure them for free because if this is the place they selected to get measured, it is likely this is the place they'd go for their alterations when the dress comes in. At the very least, they should give a discount card in the amount they charged the bridesmaids towards their future alteration. That just makes good business sense.

If they are exclusively a men's shop, your ladies may have done better going to the tailor who they would be likely to use for alterations. They'd be less likely to be charged. That being said, if you got 15 suits from them, I don't see why they couldn't have thrown in a couple measurements in for your girls. It doesn't take that long and doesn't cost them any money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards