Wedding Woes
Options

Out guest list vs. our PARENTS guest list.

We have said from the moment we got engaged that we wanted a "smaller" wedding.  We realized that we needed to invite immediate family & close family friends but my fiance & I were able to come up with 145 of our combined family & friends.  Factoring in the10-20% of the guests that may reply no, we would be down to a number that we both feel comfortable with.  Now, my mom is "insisting" I invite certain family members who I rarely see & do not personally keep in touch with, pushing our guest list up to a little over 170 people.  My parents are graciously footing the majority of the bill but they HAVE set a price limit. We now we have more people than we wanted AND if more people say yes than we are planning, my fiance & I would have to foot the bill! I do not want to offend my mother, but I do not want this many people at my wedding, especially when my fiance & I barely know these "family" members. Any Advice?

Re: Out guest list vs. our PARENTS guest list.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a lot of people feel that because other people may be contributing that they are obligated to cater to them.

You need to find a kind, gentle way to tell your mother that you do not want to invite the other people because of cost, personal feelings etc etc.

And remind her that its YOUR wedding, not hers.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_out-guest-list-vs-parents-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:a01f5598-b759-42bd-8337-3f847f41ef53Post:7856c99f-38c8-427f-b96b-960dd356c0df">Out guest list vs. our PARENTS guest list.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have said from the moment we got engaged that we wanted a "smaller" wedding.  We realized that we needed to invite immediate family & close family friends but my fiance & I were able to come up with 145 of our combined family & friends.  Factoring in the10-20% of the guests that may reply no, we would be down to a number that we both feel comfortable with.  Now, my mom is "insisting" I invite certain family members who I rarely see & do not personally keep in touch with, pushing our guest list up to a little over 170 people.  <strong>My parents are graciously footing the majority of the bill but they HAVE set a price limit. We now we have more people than we wanted AND if more people say yes than we are planning, my fiance & I would have to foot the bill!</strong> I do not want to offend my mother, but I do not want this many people at my wedding, especially when my fiance & I barely know these "family" members. Any Advice?
    Posted by liz1397[/QUOTE]

This doesn't make any sense. Why would you have to pay for the extra people they want to invite?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards