Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaid dresses for cold weather?

I will be getting married in late November 2013. The ceremony will be held at an outside venue. I don't want my bridesmaids to freeze in the nippy weather, so I am looking for a pretty, long (preferrably long sleeved) dresses that are appropriate for cold weather. So far I have only found one bridesmaid dress with long sleeves, but it's like $300. Does anyone know of any dresses that would work? Thanks in advance.

Re: Bridesmaid dresses for cold weather?

• Have you considered just buying your girls shawls to wear while outside?  This way you can still purchase whatever dress you and your girls prefer the most without having to worry about whether or not it will be warm enough.

• tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Ditto PP. Or perhaps you could look for long-sleeved dresses that aren't necessarily bridesmaid dresses.

EDIT: clarity
  • How cold are we talking? I see you're in LA so it might be more mild. In IL in late Nov., you're talking 20s or 30s. If it's in the 50s or 60s, I think you're fine. My concern would be not just for your BMs comfort in the dresses but also your guests. If it is going to be incredibly chilly outside, I might consider just doing pics outdoors and having the wedding inside. I would hate as a guest to sit outside in freezing weather to witness a wedding, KWIM?

But for your question on the dresses, I would maybe find a shawl/wrap/something they can put over the dresses if you will end up being outside; I think long sleeved dresses will be difficult to find and may look too old for them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • What about shurgs or wraps or sweaters of some kind.

I have a hard time with a long sleeved bridesmaid's dress
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dresses-for-cold-weather?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:a9739855-8ace-4bfa-ac7b-fa8338908a55Post:5a171e09-acff-4c28-9892-99a02ec423cb">Re: Bridesmaid dresses for cold weather?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How cold are we talking? I see you're in LA so it might be more mild. In IL in late Nov., you're talking 20s or 30s. If it's in the 50s or 60s, I think you're fine. My concern would be not just for your BMs comfort in the dresses <strong>but also your guests</strong>. If it is going to be incredibly chilly outside, I might consider just doing pics outdoors and having the wedding inside. I would hate as a guest to sit outside in freezing weather to witness a wedding, KWIM? But for your question on the dresses, I would maybe find a shawl/wrap/something they can put over the dresses if you will end up being outside; I think long sleeved dresses will be difficult to find and may look too old for them.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Yes, please consider your guests comfort.  I went to a wedding in mid-late October last year and up here in the north it can be in the 70's or it can be as chilly as the 40's.  I wasn't aware, nor was any of the other guests, that the ceremony was going to take place outside.  Well that day it was pretty chilly, around the high 50's low 60's.  I decided to wear a simple black dress but forgoed the coat because in my mind I was going to just be running inside.  Surprise, surprise I was sitting outside for 45 minutes.  Thank god for my H and his suit jacket or I would have been one huge goosebump.

• mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I'm also having a winter wedding (February in Massachussets) and decided to go with long satin dresses for my BMs (definitely don't do chiffon!). I'm assuming the reception is heated and indoors, correct? If this is the case keep in mind that for the rest of the evening your bridesmaids will probably be very hot wearing long sleeve dresses, especially for dancing. If your ceremony is short, the girls should be okay in pashminas or shawls with some gloves. $300 is also quite a bit of money to ask them to spend. 

To echo PP, you really should think through whether or not your guests are going to be comfortable for your ceremony (older guests, grandparents, etc). Its one thing to ask your bridesmaids to stand outside for pictures, but quite another to ask however many guests you're inviting to sit in the cold.
  • I've seen brides choose strapless dresses and then add a removable bolero or have a sheer or lace overlay sewn on to create a higher neckline and sleeves for modesty.  I'd think this alteration could also be possible with BM dresses.  If I requested that of my BMs, I'd pay for those alterations myself so that they didn't have the extra expense.  Unlike PPs' opinions, I found the 3/4 or long sleeves to be attractive and look very nice in photos, but I'm on the modest side myself.  Here are a couple pics to give you a better idea.  Of course, for warmth, you'd want less of an open weave:

lace wedding jacket 

I had such a hard time finding a dress I considered appropriately modest for church, and I still was uncomfortable with my off-the-shoulder choice.  This might be the solution.
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • In the same boat! We are getting married in October and having the ceremony and the reception outdoors if it doesn't rain. I am going to make it clear on the invitations that it will be an outdoor wedding, and note for guests to bring a coat. I am going to have the bridesmaids wear short- or no-sleeve dresses (in case it's warm after all), hose or tights, and probably some kind of cardigan, with a scarf. I am also going to have them wear boots, though I don't know how high. I am not sure exactly how all this is going to work out, and I am going to help with the cost of these extra accessories even though we're on a small budget. Not sure what I'm going to wear to stay warm!! Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards