Wedding Etiquette Forum

Save The Dates-Not inviting children

I am sending out my save  the dates with my Christmas cards this year (very soon) and I normally would address the cards to So and So and Family if they have children or include the child's name if they have one child.  However for my wedding, I do not plan on inviting most children.  Does this make a difference with how I address the Christmas Cards/Save the Dates?  Should I exclude children from these if I do not plan on inviting them formally?  Undecided

Re: Save The Dates-Not inviting children

• danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2009
    That's tricky.  I think if I were in that situation, I wouldn't send the save the dates with the xmas cards.  If you put "and Family" then they're going to assume that applies to the save the date as well.  Normally if you aren't inviting children, you would just address to the adults only, but that could still be misconstrued since you're sticking it in a xmas card.  I think if I were you I would just send the xmas cards to the families and wait a couple of weeks to send the STD cards.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would definitely send the STDs in January. It will cost more in postage, but there will be no confusion as to who will be invited.
  • First, I'd liek to caution you against sending STDs with Christmas cards.  They are more likely to get losrt in the mail, or at the home, admist the Christmas cards.

That having been said, if you do not plan on inviting the children, you must change the way you address your cards.  You cqan not include their names on the STDs (or the envelopes they come in) if you don't plan on inviting them.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I'd be concerned with them getting misplaced during the holiday rush and ruckus, too. Wait until January when everything has settled down and all the Christmas cards have been put or, (perhaps more likely) thrown away.
    Lizzie
  • I just sent mine with holiday cards...they were a magnet so I think they'd are less likely to be tossed aside (and if I'm wrong, oh well!).

Anyway, I addressed the envelopes to the parents only.  Then on the inside of the cards I wrote something like, "Dear Ross and Rachel,  Happy holidays to you and your beautiful family, etc. etc."

My website clearly says that we are having an adult cocktail reception and to let me know if they need help arranging for childcare, so I think it should be okay.  Plus my family/most friends already know we are not having kids PLUS the real invites will only be addressed to the parents.

Hope this helps!
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • I agree with Dani... if you are not inviting children, I wouldn't send the STD with the Christmas card.
  • I also would not send the STD with the Christmas card, for all the reasons above.  If you must, though, you could put the STD in a separate envelope with just the invited guests names on it (ilke inner envelopes for invites) and enclose that within the outter Christmas card envelope.

Really, though - mail them separately in January.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Thanks so much for all of your replies!  All of you have been really helpful, I have decided to just send cards now and save the dates in January to be safe.  Can't believe I didn't think about all this till I was about to print address labels lol.   Thanks again!  :)
  • FWIW, please don't print labels either.  For correspondence with wedding related matters, everything should be written by hand.
  • I have to disagree with many people here.  We just sent our save the date Christmas post cards and everyone we have seen and talked to has LOVED the idea.  In this economy most people are looking for ways to cut costs.  We knew we could save money and do both together.  If they get lost, oh well its a save the date not the invitation.  We did however address the cards to just the people invited to the wedding.  So do what you want.  Remember its your wedding.  There is not much etiquette on Save the Dates. 
  • edited December 2009
    There is etiquette with STDs, a lot of people just ignore it. 

And be careful with how much you rely on the wedding website getting important info to the guests; most people won't visit the website, and if they do they might not get the information you want them to get from it.

Edit:  Clare, I don't mean to say that you necessaily broke any etiquette on STDs, just that in general it can't be said that there are few rules governing that sort of correspondence. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_save-dates-not-inviting-children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:86eb931e-4eac-4e1b-8d2d-737f30f43f7ePost:93e01d94-e547-4221-86f2-69f54031dba5">Re: Save The Dates-Not inviting children</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is not much etiquette on Save the Dates. 
    Posted by Clare13[/QUOTE]

WRONG!  There's a good deal of etiquette surrounding most things in life, and STDs are no exception.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_save-dates-not-inviting-children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:86eb931e-4eac-4e1b-8d2d-737f30f43f7ePost:93e01d94-e547-4221-86f2-69f54031dba5">Re: Save The Dates-Not inviting children</a>:
    [QUOTE] So do what you want.  Remember its your wedding.  There is not much etiquette on Save the Dates. 
    Posted by Clare13[/QUOTE]

That's incorrect.  There is absolutely proper etiquette with how to handle STDs just as there is with any other wedding related items.

And yes, remember that it may be your wedding however that means it's up to you to make the proper impression upon your guests. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards