Nebraska-Omaha

New Bride with questions

Hi my name is Stacy and I live in Lincoln, but we are getting married in Omaha. Our wedding is Sept. 25th, 2010, and I am just starting the planning process.
I am looking at the Durham Museum or 1316 Jones for my wedding/reception. Do any of you have experience working with these two places?
I am also going to interview with Allure Photographic for my photography. Do any of you have any helpful questions that I should ask? I like their look and they seem affordable, so I just want to make sure I cover all the important stuff.
Last, I am looking for a florist. Any recommendations?

Thanks, ladies, for any help.

Re: New Bride with questions

• HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there is a post on this board about 1316 Jones St.  I haven't heard anything bad about either location.

I've heard good things about Allure Photography.  You can google questions to ask photoraphers.  That really helped me.  I think the knot might have some articles, too.  One thing that was important to me was getting the rights to the photos.  Can't remember if Allure does that or not.

I've heard good things about HyVee flowers and Frank at Mulhulls.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies. Who does the Durham use for catering if they don't allow you to bring your own? It is such a beautiful place.
    What about Paxton? Has anyone used them for their reception?
    Allure Photographic does give disks of your images, so I think they are going to work if we meet them and like their personalities. I am tossed between one or two photographers and they have both options. What would you do?
    Thanks so much for the help.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I emailed the Durham in July 2007, their response was:

Located at the south end of the historic Old Market, Omaha's "Union Station" offers a magnificent atmosphere featuring 65-foot ceilings and the beautiful restoration of the original Art Deco architecture. Everything is as it was when the station originally opened in the 1930's. The elegance of the Swanson Gallery captures the mood for a smaller gathering and the majestic features of the Main Waiting Room are a perfect backdrop for large events and receptions. I have attached a word document that outlines the various room capacities, sizes and cost.

We are not bound to a specific caterer, which allows you the freedom to negotiate pricing and menu. We have worked with many of Omaha's top caterers and are able to make recommendations. Since we are not bound to a specific caterer we do not have chairs, tables, linens etc. These items need to be arranged through your caterer or brought in through an outside rental company. It is another cost to consider, however it can work out to your benefit.

The Museum has both and upper and lower parking deck that can accommodate up to 225 vehicles. Parking is also available on the 10th Street Bridge. In addition, the Museum is within walking distance from downtown venues.

Rental contracts are generally from 4:00 p.m. to midnight; however special arrangements can be made to accommodate your set-up needs.

BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: New Bride with questions:
    [QUOTEAllure Photographic does give disks of your images, so I think they are going to work if we meet them and like their personalities. I am tossed between one or two photographers and they have both options. What would you do? Thanks so much for the help.
    Posted by stacy1989[/QUOTE]

Does Allure offer engagement sessions?  I think that's one of the best ways to see if you really like the photorapher.  As far as 1 vs 2, it depends on how much money you want to spend and how many pictures you want.  My friend had 2 photographers and I had 1.  She had more pictures and some with some really cool angles (one got traditional shots, one more edgy) but to me the 2nd photographer isn't worth the extra money.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am actually using the Paxton for our reception in April, and I couldn't be happier with it so far.  There is a rental charge for the room, but the food/drink prices are very reasonable.  They use Hap Abraham catering (same as 1316 Jones), and Chad is the manager there and at 1316.  He's great to work with!  Let me know if you have any questions, or feel free to email me at irishmeghan@gmail.com.
    ~Meghan

• edited December 2011
    HI!  I just wanted to let you know that you can bring in your own caterer here at The Durham Museum!  I am the membership manager and work under the Special Events Director who coordinates all of the events and contracts.

If you have any questions, Lori Beck is the person you want to speak with.  SHe does very well with e-mail and tends to return phone calls late in the afternoon.  Her e-mail is lbeck@durhammuseum.org.

There is no catering contract and we can certainly reccommend good caterers who are familiar with the location (which will help make your reception seemless).  I spent 7 years in corporate event planning and appreciate that you can bring in your own catering here!

REgarding cost, you do have to rent tables and chairs, but you can do a cost savings comparison against what you would pay if you had to use an in house caterer at another location and you may be surprised how close the two options are. 

My fiance and I are having our reception at teh LIvestock Exchange building because there is a prom here on our wedding night. :( 

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • RokkanenRokkanen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using 1316 Jones Street.  I love working with Chad.  He manages 1316 and the Paxton.  He is great to work with.  So far he has saved us a lot of money.  We invited us to see the setup of another wedding reception so we could get an idea for ours.  No complaints!!
  • edited December 2011
    HI
    We got married at 1316 Jones st about a year and a half ago.  We loved it!  Chad is wonderful to work with.

As far as florist, I reccomend Frank at Mulhalls.  He is wonderful at coming up with creative ideas as well will work with your budget.  He is also my FIL, however I have reccomened him to several of my friends and they loved him!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards