Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Travel Agent vs. DIY

My fiance and I are planning on going to Tahiti for our honeymoon.  Neither of us has been out of the country (except for Canada before the passport requirement)  and I have no idea how to go about booking the honeymoon.  I have talked to a travel agent to get an idea of what the cost is going to be, but I'm wondering if there's a direct website I'd be able to go to where I wouldn't have to pay the travel agent fees or a less expensive way in general to get the trip booked.  Please give me any insight you may have!

Re: Travel Agent vs. DIY

• Options
    Travel agents dont cost anything, and if you are talking to one that IS charging you, then its time to look for a new travel agent. They get paid from the resorts for bringing people in, so there is no fee to you. I just booked my HM a few days ago, and I did a little bit of both - TA and my own research. Most TA's will price match if you happen to find a better deal online. Its nice to work with TA's b/c you have a "go-to" person for all of your questions.

My advice is to talk to a few different TA's and also search the net for deals like Orbitz, Sidestep, and Kayak. When you find a few resorts that you are interested in, check out all the feedback on them on TripAdvisor to get a better feel for how they are rated. Good luck Smile
  • Options
    yup Chrissy is right...a good TA won't charge you and can really help you plan all the details.  If you want my TA's info just send me a PM.
    Ever think you'd feel this way?
  • Options
    TA is definitely the way to go.

If something goes wrong, you have someone to blame.  On FSIL's HM to P*nta Cana last summer her husband's luggage was lost and took 3 days to get to him on their 7 days HM.  They complained to the TA and got a check for $500.

In addition, TA's can offer their insight, set you up with upgrades (not that you can't ask yourself) and it's just nice to have plan it through an actual person when it's such a memorable trip.

We booking an Apple Vacation through a TA and go the price insurance.  Our HM cost dropped and my FI received a check for $300.  Not sure if online booking sites do this (I know orbitz does with flights), but it was definitely nice!
  • Options
    Go with a TA. There are no fees with them and most will price match if you find a better deal. They will make sure you have everything you need document wise and they can get you upgrades sometimes if they work with a particular property a lot.
    TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
  • Options

Thanks for the info.  Apparently a TA is the way to go, and I'm sure it's much less stressful to have someone else plan it.  What about things like scuba diving?? does that need to be booked once we get there with the hotel?  Or can a TA do that stuff as well??

• Options
    Sometimes the TA can book that too. It all depends on where you are going and what kind of pre-booking they have available. If it is booked at the hotel sometimes you have to book through them when you get there.
    TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
  • Options
    we always use a TA...I just don't have time to research and when I did, I found they could find the same thing..so now I can spend time working on wedding stuff!
  • Options
    our Ta saved us money and got us many extras we could have not got on our own
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards