Illinois

Gateway Building or Cornerstone Building in Peoria, IL?

Hi Ladies:

I'm trying to research venues for a ceremony and reception in Central Illinois.

I have come across information on the Gateway Building and the Cornerstone Building in Peoria as potential venues, but I have only found one or two reviews and they are not very helpful.

Has anyone had their wedding at one of these venues or been to a wedding there?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Gateway Building or Cornerstone Building in Peoria, IL?

• edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding at the Gateway Building a few years ago, to be honest I don't remember the food but I think they are catered by One World catering which I think is very good.  The building is quite pricey, but if you have a large guest list that can fill the room, it does look lovely.  There is a little porch outside for smokers to go so they don't have to go down the elevator or stairs.  The building is right on the river so there are some great views if you look the right way but keep in mind that East Peoria's Walmart is directly across the river.  The Gateway is also close to the downtown bars if you are planning on continuing the party after the reception.  I honestly looked at the Gateway for my wedding but it was over my budget.  I also looked at the Cornerstone Building but I work during the day and am never able to get ahold of anyone as they are only open during business hours and don't have an email.  But the pictures look nice!  I am personally leaning toward the Packard Plaza, I have been there before and they have the same caterer as the Gateway Building.    Hope this helps, good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Coghoot12Coghoot12 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I never thought about the "Walmart view".  That's a good point!

I have yet to go look at either one since I am in the early stages of planning.   I have had a hard time getting in touch with the Cornerstone, and I've called during business hours.  Strange. 

Thanks for information!  It can be hard to get reviews on Central Illinois places as it seems there is not a wealth of info on the internet.  Best of luck with your planning!
  • KiKi&Tweak13KiKi&Tweak13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I were also looking at the Packard Plaza.  He had prom there when he was in high school. He says it's a gorgeous building and he recommended that I should check it out. His only hang up would be that the guests on the top floor wouldn't always be able to see us and they would have to make an extra effort to see all of the fun activies (cake cutting, garter toss, etc). They have a website that's under construction, but I used the email they offered. They responded within the next day, answering all of my questions. Just thought you oughta know!

I'll check out the places you mentioned, too!
  • edited December 2011

We decided to book the Packard and have the upstairs ballroom.  You may not have to worry about your guests being upstairs unless you plan on a large guest count.  I've been there several times as a DJ and they don't usually put tables up there unless your guests won't fit on the lower level with the dance floor. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

I actually work for the Packard and One World Catering.  I wanted to thank bubblesmw1 (we'll see you soon, Molly!) and KiKi&Tweak1... for their kind words regarding our venue and clarify a couple of points:

Unfortunately, One World does not cater for the Gateway Building at this time, although we may at some point in the future.  We definitely would love to - we love their space!

Regarding the balcony at the Packard - We've noticed that most people seem to enjoy leaning over the balcony to watch all of the important moments, and think that they have more visbility there than they might have if they were on the same floor, but twice as far away. It also makes for some really great pictures!

Best of luck to all of you in your wedding planning - as a relatively recent bride myself (I just celebrated my two year anniversary!), I know how much work it can be.

P.S. Our website is up!

Jessica Benassi
    Event Coordinator
    The Packard
    One World Cafe

• edited December 2011

My bad about the food, I had heard that somewhere.  Yay for website!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2011
    The Cornerstone Building looks fabulous in pictures.  That stinks about them not having e-mail.  Not too impressed by the lack of spell-check on their website.

I also have a really weird pet peeve about vendors not openly advertising their pricing.  It makes me skeptical about getting ripped off, I guess.  I also have a really hard time going through the effort of calling and asking tons of questions when there are pleanty of other venues out there who throw together a PDF and post it on-line that answers most of the questions I'm going to have to ask in the first place.

We live in Galesburg, but were considering Peoria because it's closer to some of our family.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • edited December 2011
    The Cornerstone Building does have a cute, old churchy charm to it, but it will not fit a large wedding.

The Gateway Building will fit a large wedding, but you have to kinda work to make it look great (old green and gold curtains and decor?? ick.)

With that being said, I went with the Gateway Building, because I had a larger list and I like the location/view. The food package that comes from Barrack's is a SUPER deal, considering that the room rental price is not cheap. $49pp for open bar, appetizers, champagne toast, plated dinner, and late night snack? Plus they throw in chair covers and sashes for that price. I think that is a spectacular deal. I do not love the curtains and green/gold, but Light It Up Entertainment will do lighting for the entire room for $200, which is also the best deal in the area.

Hope this helps!
  • Coghoot12Coghoot12 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois_gateway-building-cornerstone-building-peoria-il?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:617Discussion:3faf904a-5026-4821-b678-c1316258d38aPost:cd52b46a-bb44-4e00-8755-daaf5b48b7b4">Re: Gateway Building or Cornerstone Building in Peoria, IL?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Cornerstone Building looks fabulous in pictures.  That stinks about them not having e-mail.  Not too impressed by the lack of spell-check on their website. I also have a really weird pet peeve about vendors not openly advertising their pricing.  It makes me skeptical about getting ripped off, I guess.  I also have a really hard time going through the effort of calling and asking tons of questions when there are pleanty of other venues out there who throw together a PDF and post it on-line that answers most of the questions I'm going to have to ask in the first place. We live in Galesburg, but were considering Peoria because it's closer to some of our family.
    Posted by flutterbride2b[/QUOTE]

We ended up booking the Cornerstone.  After some hits and misses with contacting the representatives, they have been really helpful.  We are doing both the ceremony and reception in the grand hall.  They turn over the room during cocktail hour and there's a seperate space for guests at cocktail hour to mingle while that's happening.

We went with the Cornerstone over the Gateway Building because my fiance really liked the overall atmosphere of the Cornerstone with its stained glass, exposed beams and just overall unique feel.  But the deal with Cater Inn at the Gateway building with open bar ect. was amazing.

I too wished they had more pricing information on the website.  I have always thought "if I have to ask, I can't afford it!" but I'm glad I asked.  I haven't had the easiest time researching vendors in Central Illinois, so I hope this info helps other brides!
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois_gateway-building-cornerstone-building-peoria-il?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:617Discussion:3faf904a-5026-4821-b678-c1316258d38aPost:1182afc2-fa79-4c24-afbf-5fffabdc00df">Re: Gateway Building or Cornerstone Building in Peoria, IL?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gateway Building or Cornerstone Building in Peoria, IL? : We ended up booking the Cornerstone. Posted by Coghoot12[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • cursed83cursed83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went to a wedding at the gateway and the reception at the cornerstone and both places were excelent. It was al little warm at the Cornerstone their air wasn't the best and the wedding was outdoors in the Gateway Pavilion right infront of the fountains. The bridal party took a trolley in. I would say as long as you aren't getting married in the summer or the dead of winter go for it! Hope this helps
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • blagdenjulieblagdenjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know how much the cornerstone building is per person?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards