Not Engaged Yet

Updated ticker :(

For the first time since I started losing weight 6 months ago, I've had to update my ticker in the wrong direction.

I've been avoiding the scale for the last couple weeks because I knew I wouldn't be happy with what I saw, but I finally decided to bite the bullet this morning.  Ugh.  I'm up 1.2 pounds.  It could be worse, but still... 

So here's my question:  I've been training for the tough mudder and that training has involved a lot of pushups, squats, and other muscle-building stuff.  How much muscle is it possible to gain in the span of a couple weeks?  Can I chalk this weight gain up to that?  It might make me feel better if I could reasonably assume that was the reason.

Re: Updated ticker :(

• csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That could DEFINITELY be the reason. Muscle weighs more than fat, and everyone builds it at a different pace. I happen to build it rather quickly, so when I first start working out, the number on the scale actually goes up for a bit before it goes down. I bet if you had measurements in inches you would be looking at a decrease.
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard that the old saying "muscle weighs more than fat" is a crock. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat. They each weigh a pound. Seems obvious but some people cling to that. ETA: http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx

BUT, if you've been hitting it hard and training and you've gained muscle, that is mass that you're body has picked up. GOOD mass. Which could cause you to go up in weight a bit. And 1.2 lbs is not at all bad. It's great if it's muscle, and if it's not, well it's just a week and a half or so of eating better/working out to get it back down. 

I think you can gain muscle quickly, in the span of a few weeks, but of course it depends on the type of training you're doing. If it's Biggest Loser/Hollywood movie role type of training, definitely. If it's an hour, 3 days a week, you have probably gained some strength, but maybe not enough muscle in 2 weeks to make a difference on the scale. 

Don't get discouraged! You've been doing great and I would bet that what you've gained is muscle mass and not fat. Do you measure yourself at all? How do your clothes fit? It there any noticeably difference in your arm muscles, or leg or thighs? If you start noticing definition and such, and your clothes are still fitting fine, you are probably ok! 

Good luck with all this. 
  • elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with sousa. It could be that. It could be sodium. It could be water retention if you have sore muscles. It could be quite a few things. After a couple of weeks, 1.2 pounds could be that you just have to go to the bathroom, lol. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your body changes every day, but if I had to guess, it would be the extra strength training. I know a ton of people that gained weight while doing WW when they started P90x or Insanity and I'm one of them!
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_updated-ticker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c54a2ade-7571-4899-af6b-4c8ec49d0a2fPost:4f5036e9-8de7-4034-a538-32079f08ca60">Re: Updated ticker :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I've heard that the old saying "muscle weighs more than fat" is a crock. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat. They each weigh a pound. Seems obvious but some people cling to that.  </strong>BUT, if you've been hitting it hard and training and you've gained muscle, that is mass that you're body has picked up. GOOD mass. Which could cause you to go up in weight a bit. And 1.2 lbs is not at all bad. It's great if it's muscle, and if it's not, well it's just a week and a half or so of eating better/working out to get it back down.  I think you can gain muscle quickly, in the span of a few weeks, but of course it depends on the type of training you're doing. If it's Biggest Loser/Hollywood movie role type of training, definitely. If it's an hour, 3 days a week, you have probably gained some strength, but maybe not enough muscle in 2 weeks to make a difference on the scale.  Don't get discouraged! You've been doing great and I would bet that what you've gained is muscle mass and not fat. Do you measure yourself at all? How do your clothes fit? It there any noticeably difference in your arm muscles, or leg or thighs? If you start noticing definition and such, and your clothes are still fitting fine, you are probably ok!  Good luck with all this. 
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]

Of course a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.  That doesn't mean the muscle isn't denser (and therefore takes up less space).

A pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers, but you definitely wouldn't say that lead and feathers weigh the same amount.

The point behind the whole "muscle is heavier than fat" thing is that two people can each weigh the same thing, but if one person is 150 lbs and all muscle, they're going to be a lot smaller than someone who is 150 lbs and all fat.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    Elle my dear don't always go by what the scale says.  Look at it in how your clothes feel and inches taken off as well.  If you have been eating healthy and working out and have gained some weight it could be muscle mass.  Muscle does weigh more.  I was discouraged last week when I put on a pair of jeans that are usually comfy and roomy and when I put them on they were tight.  I felt like such a loser.  But I realized it wasn't tight around the waist but my butt.  So many squats and leg workouts from demolishing and working on the house that I toned my butt to the point my jeans don't fit right anymore.  At least that's what I tell myself.  On the hunt for new jeans.  Don't be discouraged. Muscles are sexy.

ETA that the same mass of muscle and fat take up different volumes.
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys.  I just don't feel any thinner.  Maybe it's all in my head, though.
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_updated-ticker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c54a2ade-7571-4899-af6b-4c8ec49d0a2fPost:af7ba260-c1ae-4c20-856c-331b9dcdedfb">Re: Updated ticker :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Updated ticker :( : Of course a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.  That doesn't mean the muscle isn't denser (and therefore takes up less space). A pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers, but you definitely wouldn't say that lead and feathers weigh the same amount. The point behind the whole "muscle is heavier than fat" thing is that two people can each weigh the same thing, but if one person is 150 lbs and all muscle, they're going to be a lot smaller than someone who is 150 lbs and all fat.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, When I added that link, it explained the density thing. Which I get. I was just trying to be helpful. Sorry if it came out wrong. But you are training for a tough event, so I think you probably do have added mass or density, as opposed to added fat. </div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry if I came off wrong. I apologize. </div>
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Elle you are beautiful just the way you are!  *hugs*  Don't get discouraged just keep trying.  Also think about this, you just moved to a new state, that is going to be stressful which might make you put on more weight.  Just a thought!  Love you!
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• DanieKADanieKA member
    edited December 2011
    I think I've been using mass/density interchangeably. Again, I'm really sorry if I offended anyone in any way. I definitely get what everyone is saying. A pound is a pound, but the density is different. Muscle will be smaller than fat. I'm really, very sorry.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_updated-ticker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c54a2ade-7571-4899-af6b-4c8ec49d0a2fPost:0fb0177c-3ff4-43a1-967b-ebd8f92e1a58">Re: Updated ticker :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I've been using mass/density interchangeably. Again, I'm really sorry if I offended anyone in any way. I definitely get what everyone is saying. A pound is a pound, but the density is different. Muscle will be smaller than fat. I'm really, very sorry.
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]

Hey, no reason to be sorry.  You didn't say anything I took to be offensive.

If I jumped on you, I apologize.  I've just heard other people use that same argument before, and the fact that they can't understand the innate fallacy really bugs me. 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_updated-ticker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c54a2ade-7571-4899-af6b-4c8ec49d0a2fPost:606c7848-0449-44f6-b55c-761ebbe269c3">Re: Updated ticker :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Elle my dear don't always go by what the scale says.  Look at it in how your clothes feel and inches taken off as well.  If you have been eating healthy and working out and have gained some weight it could be muscle mass.  Muscle does weigh more.  I was discouraged last week when I put on a pair of jeans that are usually comfy and roomy and when I put them on they were tight.  I felt like such a loser.  But I realized it wasn't tight around the waist but my butt.  So many squats and leg workouts from demolishing and working on the house that<strong> I toned my butt to the point my jeans don't fit right anymore.</strong>  At least that's what I tell myself.  On the hunt for new jeans.  Don't be discouraged. Muscles are sexy. ETA that the same mass of muscle and fat take up different volumes.
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

I really want to make a joke about your "fine ass" right here, but I can't think of any.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_updated-ticker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c54a2ade-7571-4899-af6b-4c8ec49d0a2fPost:251a39b9-37c8-4edc-97f5-172fed661439">Re: Updated ticker :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Updated ticker :( : I really want to make a joke about your "fine ass" right here, but I can't think of any.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Lady I leave a juicy worm on a hook and you can't even grasp it?!  How are you suppose to give a speech at my wedding next year if you can't come up with funny quips?
  • edited December 2011
    I had to update my ticker in the wrong way this morning too.  No idea why.  I've been running and eating really healthy all week!!  It's so frustrating!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards