Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Engagement Party Etiquette

This is my first time posting but I'm a frequent reader! I've still got a year to plan since I'm getting married in May of 2013. My FILs mentioned in passing that they might want to throw us an engagement party this summer. Since I am a full-time graduate student it would either be this summer or not at all because they live several states away. Communication between my FI and his family is kind of sporadic. Should he or I call them or email them to find out if they are going to give a party? I don't want them to feel like the have to, but we would need to know so we could plan to be off work and have our dogs boarded. I feel like it's a touchy subject for me to bring up with them since they don't exactly seem to be thrilled that we are getting married...Advice Appreciated

Re: Engagement Party Etiquette

• Options
    I would have him call and see if they have a date in mind so that you guys can make sure it doesn't conflict with anything on your schedule.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I would probably wait until they officially offer to throw you the party before I worried about boarding the dogs and taking off work.
    panther
  • Options
    I would hope they would consult you on possible dates since your OOT.  No?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    The general rule is to let FI deal with his family.

I agree with adamar. Just have him call and ask if they still plan on throwing it - and if so, when.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_engagement-party-etiquette-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb95b0b-222a-41f4-9121-385e7c713d7fPost:b7ee3c7a-162a-42d3-ae42-444aa89dcf6a">Re: Engagement Party Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]The general rule is to let FI deal with his family. I agree with adamar. Just have him call and ask if they still plan on throwing it - and if so, when.
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what I was going to say too.  Sometimes poke and I share a brain.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards