Illinois

HELP! SATURDAY WEDDING AFTER THANKSGIVING?

Hi Knotties, we originally put a venue on hold over a year from now, August 2012. However, a great "steal" has been presented, but the wedding would either be the Friday after Thanksgiving or the Saturday after Thanksgiving...

What are your thoughts? Inconvenient for guests? Would you come to a Thanksgiving weekend wedding?

Please help, I'm stressing Yell

Re: HELP! SATURDAY WEDDING AFTER THANKSGIVING?

• edited December 2011
    I would say that it depends.  I have declined an invite to an out of state wedding for Thanksgiving weekend.  Are many of your guests local? 
  • edited December 2011
    I would come, but I would take your guests into consideration. If your family pretty much just celebrates on Thanksgiving Day, I would say you have just as good of a chance as any other weekend of them being there. If they tend to go out of town and make it a two or three day trip, then I would say you may get a lot of "no's."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • platinumkateplatinumkate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not travel to a friend's wedding on a holiday weekend since the hotels would probably cost an arm and a leg. If you are looking to have a smaller guest list and save money though this would be a good idea. The downside is that it would be cold out on your wedding day.
  • edited December 2011
    We got married November 27, 2010, the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year. The only people who declined due to the holiday were those who were going out of town to celebrate and wouldn't be back in time and there were very few of those. We arranged for a block of rooms at a nearby hotel at a very reasonable price and didn't have any problems.
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think it's kind of rude since Thanksgiving is typically a family-holiday.  Unless most of your guests and their families are local...I wouldn't do get married then.

My SIL was in a wedding last year the Saturday after and said the decline rate was huge b/c most people wanted to be with their families.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I definitely think it depends if your guests are out of towners.. We're getting married fouth of July weekend and a lot of FI's family threw a fit cause we were getting in the way of their fourth of July plans.

I personally would wait and use the August date.

• edited December 2011
    I agree with a lot of the ladies here. Remember, airfare is at its highest during Thanksgiving weekend. You may be saving money on the event, but your guests will have to dish out more for travel. But if its all local guests, I would suggest Saturday because your rehearsal dinner guest will be exhausted if they have a second dinner to attend for a Friday wedding. I guess it all comes down to what your guest list is like! Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I am considering the same time of year, originally I wanted an October wedding then mentioned thanksgiving weekend and my mom loved the idea. My parents got married the day after Thanksgiving 30 years ago this year. My mom loves the idea of making it a tradition so it's something that I am considering. Everyone was at their wedding and they had hardly anyone decline the invite. I would say as long as you aren't inviting too many out of towners then go for it!! And from what my mom says the day after Thanksgiving is usually gorgeous out!
  • edited January 2012
    My wedding is set for November 24, 2012 which is the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  We have given advance notice to his family as well as mine to those that we expect to be there.  Our wedding is taking place in his hometown so all of my guests are traveling from out of town.  We will be sending out invitations 4 months in advance to make sure those who can attend will have proper notice.  It's your wedding...have it on whatever date is best for you and your future husband...those that can be there will, not matter what the date is.  Congrats!
  • We have scheduled our wedding for November 24, 2012 as well.  At first, I was completely against this idea.  We originally planned to get married in Spring 2013. After careful thought, it works out better. A good portion will drive  to take advantage of the  school. break  Plus advance notice will allow for those who want to fly to get good ticket prices.  There will be 'No's" in our case, because my fiancee's extended family has 4 weddings (including ours) this year (2 in the early summer and 2 in the late fall).  The other positive as I was told by our priest. Thanksgiving is a "quiet" time in the church schedule.  Go with what is best for you!  Thanksgiving is a family time. What better way to get together with family than a wedding? Good Luck & Congrats!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois_saturday-wedding-after-thanksgiving-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:617Discussion:410b5261-3eea-4438-ad25-1c2ed0d032d3Post:f49ac44c-1a8e-4dbc-a8ea-bb477c52fdde">Re: HELP! SATURDAY WEDDING AFTER THANKSGIVING?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I honestly think it's kind of rude since Thanksgiving is typically a family-holiday.  Unless most of your guests and their families are local...I wouldn't do get married then. My SIL was in a wedding last year the Saturday after and said the decline rate was huge b/c most people wanted to be with their families.
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>But honestly when I think about who we're inviting to our wedding, its mostly family and the friends who can make it. The people we HAVE to have there are family so how cool would it be to have everyone gathered for thanksgiving for the first time bringing the two families together, then celebrating the wedding shortly after. I love the idea personally. The friends can get over it if they can't make it. Its not their wedding and you shouldn't have to consult their schedule to plan it.

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards