Wedding Etiquette Forum

4th of July food

We're going to H bf's house for a cookout/fireworks. I think we're going to have snacks. I said I would bring 2 sides and a dessert. I'll probably make a dip too. Care to share your favorite sides, dips and sangria recipes?
"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs

Re: 4th of July food

• Beer, wine, with a side of rum.

GOD I love the fourth.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I just got this sangria recipe, I haven't made it just, but I'm going to try it this weekend.
    ngredients

½ cup fresh red or golden raspberries, rinsed
    ½ cup fresh Maine blueberries, rinsed
    ½ cup fresh blackberries, rinsed
    ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, stems removed
    1 oz. good brandy
    2 oz. Drambuie liqueur
    1 bottle 750ml Lynfred's Rose wine, chilled
    12 oz. bottle club soda, chilled
    3 cups ice cubes
    6 to 8 springs fresh mint, rinsed (for garnish)

Method

1.   In a 2 to 3 quart glass pitcher, mix together the fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and fresh mint leaves.
    2.   Add the brandy and Drambuie liqueur and stir very gently to combine (Do not break up the fresh berries).  Slowly pour in the Lynfred's Rose wine, stirring gently.  Refrigerate for three to four hours or longer if you wish.
    3.   When ready to serve, add the chilled club soda and stir gently with a long handled spoon.  Fill wineglasses or other decorative glasses with the ice cubes and slowly pour the Rose sangria over the ice, allowing the fresh berries to fall into the wineglasses.
    4.   Garnish each glass with a sprig of fresh mint.

Photobucket
  • Homemade guac and chips are always something good. And bruschetta, but pack it separately and assemble on site so it doesn't get soggy.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • That sangria does sound good!

I love bruschetta, but no one else likes tomatoes!

I'm thinking I might do the buffalo chicken dip. That is always a good bet, right?
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Ahhh someone is grilling, and it smells so good.  I can not wait for this weekend!
    Photobucket
  • Me too! We don't have a grill so we haven't had a grilled steak all summer! And I've been craving that dip all week, so it's going to be hard to hold out.
  • Buffalo chicken dip and cakeballs are my go-to sides
  • We're getting a new grill tomorrow!  We got a bunch of Home Depot cards for our shower, so we're going to get a nice new grill.  I'm excited!
    Photobucket
  • 7 layer dip (with homemade guacamole as one of the layers, of course).

• I've made this spinach artichoke dip for several get togethers and always get compliments on it.  I usually make it with 1/2 parmesan cheese and 1/2 mozzarella cheese though. I serve it with sliced french bread. It's definitely NOT healthy, but yummy and super easy to make.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Spinach-Artichoke-Dip-1209
  • http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2009/06/viognier_fruit_spritzer

Haven't tried it, but it looks yummy. Dip? I go with roasted corn and black bean salsa, served with tortilla chips. Only problem is that I don't have a recipe, per se. I kinda make it up as I go.
  • I just made this sangria recipe recently. It was delicious, and alcoholic enough that one pitcher knocked me, my mom and my sister on our asses:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Classic-Spanish-Sangria/Detail.aspx
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Yay, a tried sangria recipie! That looks delish and I'll only have to buy the wine for it.

• I change my mind. Buffalo chicken dip FTW! Are you making it in a crockpot and bringing it with you so it stays warm?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Yeah, that's the plan :D
  • We're going to do pretty traditional stuff i think. My husband makes awesome baked beans, I'll do potato salad and we'll grill burgers and chicken. I also love the buffalo chicken dip, so good! I may also make a lemon ice box pie or some kind of cold dessert.

About Sangria, not meant to be snippy, but do people really follow recipes? I always just wing it. A lot of red or white wine, various fruit juices and cut up fruit (whatever looks good). I add Vodka or Rum, sugar or Splenda and taste and tweak till it's yummy!

As I typed this I realized my husband actually bought me a Sangria book that is sitting on the bar, maybe I will check it out for this weekend! The problem is, it seems most recipes call for some small amount of random alcohol that I would likely never use again :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards