Ohio-Toledo

Another QOTD

Are you having any readings during your ceremony?  If so, what?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio

Re: Another QOTD

• edited December 2011
    We have 3 (maybe 4, eek!) readers, but we are not sure what we are doing yet.  Def nothing religious.  Still looking for the right poems.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • akirkenakirken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to do poems too. But having a hard time finding the right ones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We did a bible passage (Ruth 1:16-17) and the Apache Wedding Blessing (below) which I LOVE. :) 

Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other.Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be the warmth for the other.Now you are two persons, but there is one life before you.Go now to your dwelling place to enter into the days of your life together.And may your days be good and long upon the earth.Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together.Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves.When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship – as they threaten all relationships at one time or another – remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong.In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives – remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there.And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • edited December 2011
    We had two Bible readings... 1 John 4:7-12 and Mark something, which was Jesus talking about marriage.

We also had a non-religious reading, The Union by Robert Fulghum.  It's beautiful!  It was the only point in the ceremony that I was teary.  The reading can be found here:  http://twincitieswedding.blogspot.com/2007/03/reading-union-by-robert-fulghum.html
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We are doing The Union as well :) Love it!

And we need one more. Nothing religious for us, either. This is something I need to start looking for.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a full Catholic Wedding... So 3 readings: Old Testament, New Testement, and Gospel.

I don't remember the Old and Gospel off-hand.  But the new Testement was the traditional Corinthians 13 (Love is patient, love is kind...).  The Old Testement was Genesis reading about how Adam was sad that he could not find a companion between the fish and birds, so he made him a "life mate," Eve. :)
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • jessatenjessaten member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love The Union and the Apache blessing!  I may need to include one of those.

I'm also planning on using "Oh! The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Suess.  :)  Fun and fitting.
  • literarymuseliterarymuse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Abbey, I love that Apache Blessing!! I may need to use that in mine...

We're still figuring out what all we're using. We're definitely looking at 1 John 4:7-19. We're also looking at some other Biblical passages to use. FI and I are both really strong Christians (we're serving communion to our guests as soon as we're married!), so we want to incorporate that into our wedding as much as possible, as a mark of our faith. I think we may print Jeremiah 29:11 on our programs, as that's one of our favorite verses, and it's so appropriate for the beginning of something.
  • edited December 2011
    We used Union too, it brought a tear to both of our eyes when we first read it and still does almost every time I read it.  It is a perfect wedding reading in my mind.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Can someone post The Union?  I've googled it and don't think I'm finding anything.
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards