Washington-Seattle

E-vites, tacky or techy?

My fiance and I have been thinking about doing e-vites for the wedding.  We got one from his cousin, and it was very nice.  Plus we are having troubles getting everyone's addresses, but already have the e-mails.  So, go ahead and vote.  In one week I will tally and tell fiance the results.  So, last time you can vote will be April 2, 2010.

Re: E-vites, tacky or techy?

• edited December 2011
    I think its a great idea! You are going to save a bunch of paper and be different all in one! Love it.

Just remember though, all people aren't computer savvy, I'd make sure to have another option for those people, maybe they can call you or something. GL! Can't wait to see how this turns out!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What's the level of formality of your wedding?  Are you having it in the evening, and do you want folks to dress nicely at all?

Generally, invitations should reflect the formality of your wedding, and e-vites are pretty informal.  Think of it this way - it's the first clue that your guests have telling them what to expect from your wedding.  So if you're doing a backyard bbq wedding, or a really casual afternoon get-together, I think an e-vite is fine.  If you want anything more formal, the e-vite is probably too informal.

Also, personally, I feel like a wedding is a special occasion, and I want people to recognize that by getting something special in the mail that they wouldn't get for any other party.

We are, however, using online RSVPs on our wedding website.  So there are other ways to cut paper and use online tools.
  • jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its definitely not proper ettiquite, if you care.  I think a wedding requires a mailed invite.  And, for us, some familty don't have emails or computers.  But, if you think your guests will be OK with it, everyone has email and accesses it regularly and your wedding is fairly informal, go for it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

PP are correct, it does reflect the formality of your wedding.. i just assumed it was a casual thing.

If you are worried about cost, you could make 100 invites for less than 30 bucks. Just FI. I'm making 70 pocketfold invitations with 3 inserts and the price for all my stuff is about 100 bucks.. if you just make a flat invite, even with two layers, you can do it for pretty inexpensively.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I made my own.  For 60 invites, including some supplies like a hole punch and cutter it was about $50.  But, it is very time consuming.  You can also design your own on zazzle or other websites pretty inexpensively.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I voted tacky. Really, think about the joy you get when you receive an actual reall letter/card in the mail that's not a bill, solicitation, ad, or junk but from someone you know. It's a dying art and weddings are one of the last few times we use this. And as PP state, your invitation is the first and most solid clue to the style of your wedding. E-vite for me is super-duper casual. Plus, statistically people are less likely to respond to e-vite than hard copy.

That said, you don't have to do big expensive invites with pockets and multiple inserts, letter pressed with little ribbons, etc. We're sending a paper invite and the only enclosure is a small card with our website encouraging them to RSVP there (and alternately providing phone number for non-computer savvy) as our way to be eco-conscious and friendly (and lessen costs).
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011

FI and I are doing RSVP by phone or email. We decided to go the traditional route and made invitations.....however, if your wedding is casual then by all means save the money! (Just make sure any relatives who don't have email still know about it!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker 211 image 143 image 35 image 33 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards