Michigan-Detroit

Married Ladies - I Need Your Help!

Ugh so I already have a headache trying to figure out this whole name change process.  I've looked online and according to the State of Michigan's website, I need a certified copy of our marriage license.  I assume that the copy the Priest gave us directly is not sufficient, correct?  Do I need to order a copy from the Oakland County Vital Records Department?

Once I have the marriage license, I go to the SOS and get a new driver's license?   Then I get a new SSN card?  Then once those two things match, I can start changing everything else - bank records, credit cards, etc?

This is seriously so confusing.

Re: Married Ladies - I Need Your Help!

• edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure you have to SSN before driver's license.

The copy you got from your county clerk should be notorized and able to be used for name changing purposes.  I'm not sure if the copy the pastor sends to the county/state have to be processed or not prior to changing names.

Good luck.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic 195image 155image 40image
  • japow1984japow1984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if it's the same in Oakland county as it is in Wayne...but I had to wait to get the certified copy to change my license at the SOS and . If your priest just gave you the marriage license, you need to take that and get it certified where you got it from. Do you know if he had another one that he sent in? After you get the certified copy you can go to the SOS and the SS office at the same time, you don't need to wait for your license to go to the SS office. I also started changing things with my temporary lisence (and opened a new bank account). It's not really all that bad. A lot of people rec. missnowmrs.com to help you with the paperwork. I think there's a coupon code too. Also, fill out that app. for the SS office b4 you go, it'll save you some time. HTH!

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127--25240--,00.html
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    The copy you received from the priest is not a certified copy.  Yes, you have to order a certified copy from the county. Costs $15 for one copy, $20 for two.

You have to have a certified copy before you can change your Social Security card. 

I'm not sure about the SOS, I figured I'd wait until I receive my certified before I even attempt to get a new license.

As far as credit cards, I just mailed out letters with a copy of my license that was signed by priest, DH, witnesses and myself.
  • edited December 2011
    In Macomb county you can use the copy the priest gives you.

It really isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Go to SS office and get a new card.
    Go to SoS (with cash money!) and get a new license.

Everyone had me so scared. And if you have gotten your passport in the past year, print off the form and get the new one with your name change for free!
  • edited December 2011
    It's really not nearly as hard as I thought it would be!

I just waited until we got our certified copy back (I swear it came in the mail, but I could be making that up... it was almost a year ago now).

Then, go to the Social Security office.  The wait wasn't too bad, and there is NOTHING to changing it.  Seriously so quick and easy once you get to the window.

Then, take that and go to the SOS.  The new license is cheap (less than $10) and that's really easy to do, too.  I just too my new SS card, they didn't need to see the marriage license.

The bank was really easy for me, and changed my name on there before I changed ANYthing else.  I just showed them the marriage license and they changed it for me while I tried to deposit our wedding checks.  My name wasn't even officially changed yet! 

So really, don't worry about it too much... it's pretty painless and there is NO rush on any of it.  Take your time!  There's a good chance I still haven't changed my name on one of my credit cards... and it's been almost a year.

Oh, and if you got your passport within the year, make sure to change your name on that.  They allow one free name change within the first year, but after that you have to pay for a renewal instead.
  • edited December 2011
    I received one certified copy in the mail from Ohio.  I took that to SS, got my SS info, took everything to SOS and got my license.  By the way, we've been married since 2009, and my license plate/title of my car is still under my maiden name.  You should check that out and make sure it all gets changed.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies :)  I'm not worried about actually going there but just rather what I needed.  The website was so confusing!   Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards