Wedding Etiquette Forum

"smart casual" attire

i received an invite with this wording.  what the heck is smart casual?  is that the same as business casual? 

Re: "smart casual" attire

• Hahaha, oh I have no idea.  Kind of like "beach formal" that someone here put on her wedding website! 

Yeah, I'd say it's just like a dressy casual.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd google it.  Is there a chance this is an instance of cultural slang gone confusing?
  • You have to arrive in a smart car and be a smartass all night. Not to be confused with dumb casual which is when you wear one of these:

• It's just regular casual, but they're going to check your IQ at the door.
  • I'm going to guess it's like business casual, but more fashionable than your standard twinset or polo & khaki's.  However, whoever wrote that isn't smart at all. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I hate crap like this. We were travelling to CA for Fi's friend's wedding, and THE DAY BEFORE we leave, fi's friend says to him- Oh, it's less formal than a normal wedding, like, don't wear a suit."

REALLY. So the black cocktail dress I spent weeks trying to find and spent $200 on is no longer appropriate and you tell me this the day before we fly across the country?! W.T.F?!

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    My first thought was preppy.  You might want to call the bride or groom and ask them because I'm sure you're not the only one asking.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_smart-casual-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a68b18e-8b05-4b7e-9e91-9680c971b036Post:38571a0d-cf5d-4aca-a4ff-490a0183aa2c">Re: "smart casual" attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]My first thought was preppy.  You might want to call the bride or groom and ask them because I'm sure you're not the only one asking.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

I don't think you need to ask the bride.  You know what it means.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take this to mean "upscale casual" - a nice summer dress, maybe dress pants and a nice top?

It doesn't seem that complicated.
  • I would say it's on the same level as business casual but more party and less business.
    Married 10/2/10
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_smart-casual-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a68b18e-8b05-4b7e-9e91-9680c971b036Post:fcfb4815-b091-48df-9e48-5b66684846c8">Re: "smart casual" attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would say it's on the same level as business casual but more party and less business.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

This. 

I HATE this.  I went to my sorority's convention a few years ago and 1) the dress code we got in the mail read casual and  then 2) when we got there it was "snappy" casual.  W.  T.  F.  So my friend and I looked jank which sucked.  Just say business casual if you mean no jeans for pete's sake. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_smart-casual-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a68b18e-8b05-4b7e-9e91-9680c971b036Post:fcfb4815-b091-48df-9e48-5b66684846c8">Re: "smart casual" attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would say it's on the same level as business casual but more party and less business.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much it. Years ago, an office holiday party had a dress code of "casual chic" -- we all laughed about that till we left the company because really WTF does that mean?

I'd wear whatever you'd wear to go out to a nice -- but not formal -- restaurant on a Saturday night, in other words, exactly what you probably would have worn without any directions. I hate this made-up dress codes -- they cause more confusion than help.
  • Haha, it doesn't exist. Then again, "business casual" isn't a REAL type of dress code either, but at least people know what it means.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • sorry, i went MIA.

its for a beach wedding.

i have a nice little cocktail dress in a fun color/print picked out.  i may be overdressed, but i always err on teh side of being over dressed rather than underdressed.
  • it means casual, not messy... like no baggy, faded jeans or wrinkled shirts... not like anyone with any sense would wear that to an event anyway. But, I would stick to dark, sknny jeans w/ a cute top, casual dress or skirt for girls and dark, non-baggy jeans and button down or polo for guys. 
  • eeek.... taking that back. No one should wear jeans to a wedding! I didn't realize it was a wedding. I would go with a nice, beachy dress for a girl and dress pants w/ button down and jacket but no tie for a guy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards