Not Engaged Yet
Options

10 things 90s kids will have to explain to their children (from SB)

This one actually made me laugh.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/10-things-90s-kids-will-have-to-explain-to-their-children/

My favorites:
Topanga was at some point in human history considered not only a legitimate first name for a human being, but the kind of name that would inspire in malleable teenage boys a life-long infatuation.

At some point, we carried around little plastic eggs with tiny screens on them — in these screens lived our hearts, our pets, our raison d’etre, our very own Tamagotchi. We loved them, we listened to their tiny electronic screams of malnourishment, and we occasionally forgot to pick up their poop for long enough that they died a tortured, poop-filled death.

Incredibly depressing women in Indiana covered in cats and glass figurines they buy at The Hallmark Store used to troll the web 1.0 to invest thousands of dollars in tiny stuffed animals filled with plastic beans. That happened. Beanie Babies were not just significant, they were the first example most of us had of envy, greed, and wrath. If someone messed up that little heart-shaped Ty tag, so help you God, that was the end of whatever contact you had with that monster of a human being. That tag-less Beanie Baby was now trash, and you had to deal with the consequence.
5/27/12

Re: 10 things 90s kids will have to explain to their children (from SB)

• Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    This made me laugh, thanks :)
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    OMG, this one is my favorite!!

8. “I wanna really really really wanna zig a zig ahh,” has a meaning, and all true nineties kids know it, but we must never share it. Like the Illuminati, it must remain between us, the keyholders. With great power comes great responsibility.

I STILL love me some Spice Girls!

And also really like:

4. Long before he was spending his days foisting his mediocre children on us, Will Smith was actually the perfect human specimen. He also undoubtedly holds some world record for saving the world the most times while simultaneously delivering flawless catchphrases and giving cool guy nods to the camera. The Men In Black rap song, at the time, was created and received by the public without the slightest trace of irony. Really. He was that good.

5. In some inevitable shift of the time-space continuum in which James Cameron continues to rob humanity of all that is good and sacred in this world, Fern Gully will be known as that movie that ripped off Avatar. It will be up to us to crusade for what is right. It is up to us to explain that Fern Gully was not only a predecessor to Avatar, but far better, in that it contained both Tim Curry as a singing pile of molasses and Robin Williams rapping about animal testing in the pharmaceutical industry. (As a side note, if you have not recently listened to the full lyrics of the “Batty Rap,” I recommend you do, as they are horrifying.)

Ha ha ha, this was awesome! Thanks for sharing, Jaycee!

ETA: Avatar is known in my circle of friends as "Dances with Fern Gully." Ripped off two great movies and managed to be worse than both. /><
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved this. All of it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "No one liked Howie." XDDD
  • Options
    tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I freakin' LOVE Lisa Frank.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad it made you guys laugh :)
    5/27/12
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_10-things-90s-kids-will-explain-their-children-sb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:279732e7-8308-4d0b-b842-b5890072fda4Post:b7e73070-5161-45ee-9b77-2c200e9d7622">Re: 10 things 90s kids will have to explain to their children (from SB)</a>:
    [QUOTE]"No one liked Howie." XDDD
    Posted by HULU[/QUOTE]

I LOLed at that part! I was a huge fan of Nick.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_10-things-90s-kids-will-explain-their-children-sb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:279732e7-8308-4d0b-b842-b5890072fda4Post:01172b6d-bafc-4642-a4a8-501f7c8df252">Re: 10 things 90s kids will have to explain to their children (from SB)</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG, this one is my favorite!! 8. “I wanna really really really wanna zig a zig ahh,” has a meaning, and all true nineties kids know it, but we must never share it. Like the Illuminati, it must remain between us, the keyholders. With great power comes great responsibility. I STILL love me some Spice Girls! And also really like: 4. Long before he was spending his days foisting his mediocre children on us, Will Smith was actually the perfect human specimen. He also undoubtedly holds some world record for saving the world the most times while simultaneously delivering flawless catchphrases and giving cool guy nods to the camera. The Men In Black rap song, at the time, was created and received by the public without the slightest trace of irony. Really. He was that good. 5. In some inevitable shift of the time-space continuum in which James Cameron continues to rob humanity of all that is good and sacred in this world, Fern Gully will be known as that movie that ripped off Avatar . It will be up to us to crusade for what is right. It is up to us to explain that Fern Gully was not only a predecessor to Avatar , but far better, in that it contained both Tim Curry as a singing pile of molasses and Robin Williams rapping about animal testing in the pharmaceutical industry. (As a side note, if you have not recently listened to the full lyrics of the “Batty Rap,” I recommend you do, as they are horrifying.)  Ha ha ha, this was awesome! Thanks for sharing, Jaycee! <strong>ETA: Avatar is known in my circle of friends as "Dances with Fern Gully." Ripped off two great movies and managed to be worse than both. /><</strong>
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

My friends call it Pocahontas in Space.

I saw this the other day (on FB I think). It's funny.

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_10-things-90s-kids-will-explain-their-children-sb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:279732e7-8308-4d0b-b842-b5890072fda4Post:01172b6d-bafc-4642-a4a8-501f7c8df252">Re: 10 things 90s kids will have to explain to their children (from SB)</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG, this one is my favorite!! 8. “I wanna really really really wanna zig a zig ahh,” has a meaning, and all true nineties kids know it, but we must never share it. Like the Illuminati, it must remain between us, the keyholders. With great power comes great responsibility.
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

This part was my favorite, too. I could barely read it aloud to FI -- I was laughing so hard.
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    edited December 2011

Haha I posted this on FB the other day! I'm especially fond of the Will Smith and "zig ah zig ahh" ones. Also, the Ty tag debaucle and Lisa Frank's ability to make your eyes bleed.

Ohhh the 90's :)

• Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_10-things-90s-kids-will-explain-their-children-sb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:279732e7-8308-4d0b-b842-b5890072fda4Post:3ca66ea1-791f-46d5-86c9-95c7bebe7285">Re: 10 things 90s kids will have to explain to their children (from SB)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone?
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

Yes! I had a pog carrying case lol.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "It is the ideology that no notebook is complete until it literally hurts your eyes to look at from so much color saturation."

I had this ginormous Lisa Frank zippered up rubber binder with rainbows and cats all over it. I loved it, but everyone made fun of me for it!

I also literally laughed out loud at the "No one liked Howie" part.

Thanks so much for posting this!!
    White Knot
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who wrote this? We didn't have the internet when I was on the hunt for beanie babies. My mother had to call some card shop in Idaho to find some freAking special one. Lord knows how she got their number. Dang my mom was awesome. No one liked Howie LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    7. Though on the surface, they are the exact same thing in every conceivable way, whether you liked The Backstreet Boys or N*SYNC said more about your character than all of the terrible macaroni art you could ever make for your child psychologist. Essentially, liking *NSYNC meant you liked Justin Timberlake, as he was clearly the Seabiscuit in that race from the get-go. You even liked him with his terrible, icy-blond mini-fro. Liking the Backstreet Boys gave you a bit more of a cultured palate, as there was no clear Diana in those Supremes. Nick was kind of the wholesome, if northern-Florida-redneck safe choice (save for his humiliating younger brother, Aaron). Brian was the shy, sensitive type. AJ was the hottt, dangerous meth addict. Kevin Richardson was mute with sexy, sculpted facial hair. No one liked Howie. Choosing between the two groups was like choosing between two beloved children, but once that line was crossed–there was no going back.

LOL! This is so true. I can remember every thing that happened in the 90s. Glad Nickelodeon is bringing all that back with their own 90s segments, especially since they dominated during that era (IMO).

• Options
    kellyt89kellyt89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha no one did like Howie!
    I went to not one, not two, but 3 Back Street Boys concerts, including their "Never Gone" tour where they were all balding...loveee
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is funny.  I remember the beanie babies... one of my cousins had laundry baskets full of them, and I got some $40 ones.  Also, I miss fern gully.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my mom has an entire armoire fulls of beanie babies.  she swears that she's going to be known as "Granny Beanie" to my future kids, and is sending the blasted things home with them every time they visit her.  Yell
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Someone posted this on FB before I saw it here. Love all of it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards