Georgia-Savannah

Afghanistan Bride- Help! :-)

Hello Knotties!

My husband and I are both in the military and due to deployments, we have never been able to have a wedding.  I'm currently serving in Afghanistan, but we would like to have a wedding very shortly after I return.  I'm from Savannah and would love to have the wedding on Tybee Island.  There will be around 100 guests and we have a small budget.  Thankfully, we have friends to do photography, music, and cake baking.  We have booked the Tybee pier and pavilion, but now I'm starting to rethink that idea.  I don't want random strangers crashing our reception on the pavilion.  Has anyone ever had a wedding on the pier or been to one?  I'm thinking about the American Legion or the Shrine club as alternatives. Does anyone know about either of these places?  I think the Tybee Wedding Chapel is beautiful but it is out of our price range.  Any suggestions are welcome!

Re: Afghanistan Bride- Help! :-)

• The shrine blub has amazing views of the ocean
  • I would highly recommend against the pier.  It will not be blocked off except for the small area you will have.  People will be going in and out of bathrooms.  The ice cream shop, food stand and bar will still be open for buisness.  People will be standing around in their swim suits watching your wedding.  People will also be walking back and forth out on the pier to fish or people watch.  It is not as romantic a place to get married as people think it is.  
    I think the Shrine Club is a great venue.  It can be as casual or as formal as you like it.  It is very easy to decorate.  There are also fantastic views of the ocean, lighthouse, river and Hilton Head.  
    Do you have a caterer in mind for food?  Teeples Seafood on Thunderbolt just did the engagement party for friends of ours.  They had BBQ and Low Country Boil for less than $15/person.  That included the drinks, plates, table ware and all.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_afghanistan-bride-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:c0ee288e-691e-47d5-9a0d-0aa2456ae579Post:8ef83bfb-9f5a-4f75-86e7-f832ef2ea3a3">Re: Afghanistan Bride- Help! :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The shrine blub has amazing views of the ocean
    Posted by Deborah B[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for replying. I think I will book with them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_afghanistan-bride-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:c0ee288e-691e-47d5-9a0d-0aa2456ae579Post:a26b0fb1-f2ec-49b4-8af3-4c590a434761">Re: Afghanistan Bride- Help! :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would highly recommend against the pier.  It will not be blocked off except for the small area you will have.  People will be going in and out of bathrooms.  The ice cream shop, food stand and bar will still be open for buisness.  People will be standing around in their swim suits watching your wedding.  People will also be walking back and forth out on the pier to fish or people watch.  It is not as romantic a place to get married as people think it is.   I think the Shrine Club is a great venue.  It can be as casual or as formal as you like it.  It is very easy to decorate.  There are also fantastic views of the ocean, lighthouse, river and Hilton Head.   Do you have a caterer in mind for food?  Teeples Seafood on Thunderbolt just did the engagement party for friends of ours.  They had BBQ and Low Country Boil for less than $15/person.  That included the drinks, plates, table ware and all.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for all of your input.  $15 per person is an awesome price.  Was the food good? I do have a private caterer in mind though.  Do you know about alcohol at the Shrine Club?  It is a little difficult to get in contact with people in the States since there is a 9 hour difference between the time zones. 
  • Oh, and what about the American Legion? 

• The Shrine Club has their own bar.  You pay a per bottle fee if you want an open bar.  
    They are a bit difficult to get in contact with here, as well.  They do not have full time staff and only check the phones a few times a week.  I would recommend leaving a message with your situation and ask them to contact you through email.  Most of the members there are vets and will understand.  

The Legion is a good bit more rustic.  I'm actually a Legionaire with my membership there, having served in the Army.  It is used weekly as a bingo hall.  The city often holds dances and other parties there.  If you want kind of a rustic look, this is a great place. The only real drawback is that they will keep the bar open to the public during your wedding.  You are also required to use their bartenders and alcohol.  Their prices are usually inexpensive.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_afghanistan-bride-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:c0ee288e-691e-47d5-9a0d-0aa2456ae579Post:3ddb2535-c872-4bf2-9554-4f02b90261b9">Re: Afghanistan Bride- Help! :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Shrine Club has their own bar.  You pay a per bottle fee if you want an open bar.   They are a bit difficult to get in contact with here, as well.  They do not have full time staff and only check the phones a few times a week.  I would recommend leaving a message with your situation and ask them to contact you through email.  Most of the members there are vets and will understand.   The Legion is a good bit more rustic.  I'm actually a Legionaire with my membership there, having served in the Army.  It is used weekly as a bingo hall.  The city often holds dances and other parties there.  If you want kind of a rustic look, this is a great place. The only real drawback is that they will keep the bar open to the public during your wedding.  You are also required to use their bartenders and alcohol.  Their prices are usually inexpensive.  

Thank you.  You've been a big help!
  • You are very welcome.  I'm happy to help.  Let me know if you need anything else.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_afghanistan-bride-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:c0ee288e-691e-47d5-9a0d-0aa2456ae579Post:8639ba66-fae9-4f02-9b4c-e37a5e4d1a6b">Re: Afghanistan Bride- Help! :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are very welcome.  I'm happy to help.  Let me know if you need anything else.  

Besides Teeples, are there any other caterers you can recommend that are around the $15-$18 per person price range?  Do you know if Teeples would do the cocktail hour also? 
  • I'm not sure if Teeples can do the coctail hour.  I'm posting a few other caterers that I've had experieces with that have options for you.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards