Wedding Reception Forum
Options

transportation issues

(I think the site ate my post so here goes again....)

Our ceremony and reception (both in NYC) are a 15 minute/ 6 block walk away from each other. We walked it as practice and although I wouldn't mind doing it, it's a bit far to ask everyone to walk in heels.

So... dilemma. We can't shell out $1000 to rent a bus to transport everyone 6 blocks. Would it be OK to get a bunch of cabs to go back and forth if we paid for it? 15 seat van?

Also, do we have to worry about transportation both ways if people will want to park at the reception venue? Most of the guests will not be driving because it's in the city but we have a some local family that will probably drive, probably about 8 cars.

Should we just say taking a taxi to the ceremony site is recommended then we'll transport them between ceremony and reception?

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm confused myself!

Re: transportation issues

• Options
    Why are you responsible for your guest's transportation from the ceremony to the reception?  I don't get this new trend at all.
  • Options
    You are not responsible for you're guests transportation.  Let them figure it out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I dont know, my parents are insisting we need to be responsible for it. is that not normal?
  • Options
    I don't know NYC, but I have never been to a wedding where someone provided transportation from the ceremony to the reception.  I really don't understand why it's your responsibility.
  • Options
    I think it's different because most people in NY don't have cars. It's not like they can park at the ceremony then drive to the reception. It's also not an area where you can easily flag down a taxi.

So I guess they would either have to walk or call a cab on their own.

If you went to a wedding like that would you think it was a problem to walk or get your own taxi?
  • Options
    If it's really only 6 blocks, I would be fine to walk if the weather was nice or pay for my own cab.

If cabs aren't frequently in that area, I think it would be good to have them lined up--you could even look into a car service and see what their rates would be like to go back and forth for a half hour.  I don't think it is necessary for you to pay for the cabs, but it would be a nice touch.  I wouldn't worry about people that drive--if they drove themselves into the city, I would think they'd drive to the reception, or at least be able to figure out their own transportation.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    Think of it this way- will you be providing transportation to the ceremony?  If the answer is no the guest will get there on their own, therefore they can also get to the reception.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's only six blocks!!  People are capable of walking it or grabbing a cab.  The only reason DH and I provided transportation for our guests is because all but two came in from OOT, were staying in Center City Philadelphia and our wedding was in West Chester abut 45 minutes away.  We were not about to ask them to rent a car on top of what they were already paying to be at our wedding.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    It's only 6 blocks but with waiting at crosswalks, it was about 14 minutes. My family felt that was too far. Originally we were going to have most people walk and just get a few cabs on standby for people who didn't want to. But I thought that would be breaking the 'opening the wallets' rule. Does that not apply to transportation?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_transportation-issues-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c5e96423-823a-46b7-9749-19e5fc9e0e68Post:fcb20647-9f75-4d84-9823-bb16533f5ec7">Re: transportation issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's only 6 blocks but with waiting at crosswalks, it was about 14 minutes. My family felt that was too far. Originally we were going to have most people walk and just get a few cabs on standby for people who didn't want to. But I thought that would be breaking the 'opening the wallets' rule. Does that not apply to transportation?
    Posted by gattamelata[/QUOTE]

No.  If it applied to transportation, brides and grooms would be sending a car service to pick up every one of their guests from their homes so they wouldn't have to spend any gas money getting to and from the wedding.  And 14 minutes is not long.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options

A 14 minute walk is nothing.  You can also get some really cool photos of you/your bridal party leading the way with your guests trailing behind you.  If you are concerned about women walking in heels, perhaps you can include an insert in your invitation and/or on your wedding website saying "The reception is 6 blocks from the ceremony.  It is about a 14 minute walk or a $X cab ride" so people can be prepared.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_transportation-issues-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c5e96423-823a-46b7-9749-19e5fc9e0e68Post:e5429bf3-ac94-4cc4-b9b9-5a09a38eb235">Re: transportation issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]A 14 minute walk is nothing.  You can also get some really cool photos of you/your bridal party leading the way with your guests trailing behind you.  If you are concerned about women walking in heels, perhaps you can include an insert in your invitation and/or on your wedding website saying "The reception is 6 blocks from the ceremony.  It is about a 14 minute walk or a $X cab ride" so people can be prepared.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. I don't think it's too far for us or most of my friends but when you're all dressed up for a wedding though I guess that makes a difference. They're big blocks though, it's about half a mile. Thanks
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_transportation-issues-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c5e96423-823a-46b7-9749-19e5fc9e0e68Post:8819ca98-2cf5-4ee6-85f2-5119aa7336e8">Re: transportation issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: transportation issues : That's a good idea. I don't think it's too far for us or most of my friends but when you're all dressed up for a wedding though I guess that makes a difference. They're big blocks though, it's about half a mile. Thanks
    Posted by gattamelata[/QUOTE]

Friends of ours got married and had the reception .4 miles from the ceremony.  Everyone walked.  It was actually really fun to have the entire guest list walking together to the ceremony.  It didn't seem to bother anyone.  I seem to remember there being some goofing around and singing on the way :-P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards