November 2013 Weddings

Engagement Photos NOT taken by professional photographer??

I've always loved pictures...but I don't have the money to spend on a professional photographer since I have a small budget for my wedding...so my MOH wanted to volunteer and take pictures of me and my FI around Disney World (yay for living near the parks!) and having a romance theme with it...my FI has a Nikon camera which takes amazing pictures... that doesn't make me cheap, does it?? :( What do you think??
imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement Photos NOT taken by professional photographer??

• I think that's a great idea! It's my understanding that engagement photos as we now know them (a big shoot, etc.) is a relatively new phenomenon. I've seen quite a few couples have non-professional engagement shots taken by friends right after they got engaged. I've also known couples to bypass them entirely!

That said, some photographers include engagement shoots as part of the package. It's also a good way to get to know your photographer better before the big day. (I think you can also usually get a bridal shoot instead, but then FI doesn't get to meet the photographer.) 

I don't think there's anything wrong with going the non-professional route though. 
  • Oh my gosh, thank you!!!! That makes me feel a lot better... :) I don't know if anyone else has ever done non-professional engagement pictures...but I'd love to know if anyone on the Knot did!!!

• My FMIL took ours. We put them on our save the dates, yes I have them already. We gave them as favors for our engagement party. We just used photo shop to fix anything we didnt like. There is no difference between someone taking them and hiring your photographer. We didnt have our photographer when we took them. Just be sure to take a lot of pictures bc even with a photographer they take a ton bc not every picture comes out good.
  • Thanks for the tip!! Yeah, we're gonna take a LOT of pictures (whenever we get time to do this all haha...darn work schedules!) 

Just thinking about all this makes me so excited for the big day! lol...if and when we get these pictures done, believe me I will be sharing the link on here! ;)
  • Yes, please post the pics! I want to see what you do, you know its funny, we had our engagement pics taken in florida also.
  • you did?? Where abouts?? I'd love to see your pictures, too!!! :)
  • Ill try to fiquire out private message and send them. We took them in Clearwater right on the beach, we go down there a few times a year. FI parents have a condo there they live at in the winter. We were there in February. We try to go in the winter to escape the cold in jersey, LOL. Im counting down till we go back in Nov!
  • LOL! that's why I left MA ;)  hahaha!! 

Once I get mine taken (work keeps us all busy haha), I'll be sure to let you know! :)
  • LOL thats funny. My FI wants to move down there too. We will see it wouldnt be till after the wedding bc we already planned things up here. And depends if he can get a job. So we will see. We look at houses when we go down there and he talked to people in his buisness too. So idk where we will end up. Until then we just go down there as much as we can.
  • edited July 2012
    Hey, that's awesome!! Clearwater, I have to say, is beautiful...I remember going to the beach there and seeing dolphins...

Worst Case Scenario, you could be Southern Birds and come to Florida every winter! If I weren't living here, that's what I would wanna do haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards