Snarky Brides

How not to be an AW...

Yesterday, my father pulls me aside at a family party to tell me that we need to come up with "something really cool" (his words) for when he walks me down the aisle.  He offered to take dance lessons or whatever I want as long as it's a surprise to everyone.  This has been his only "request" during the planning so I want to do something special.

My question is what to do without it being a total AW move?  The ceremony is going to be outside at a gazebo (on a golf course).  It's an afternoon wedding so it's not super formal but it's still formal.  Any ideas?

Re: How not to be an AW...

• Hmm... I would think that a father walking his daughter down the aisle pretty much guarantees you both a front-and-center position in the spotlight. Every eye and camera in the place will be on you guys. If you're worried about being an AW, I think that should be enough for you both.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Yeaaaah. I'm not really sure what he wants here. Does he want to dance down the aisle? It's a really special moment in itself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd tell him It's really cool that he's simply walking you down the aisle.  No big show is necessary.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:521ef4b7-11a4-4bc8-b8d0-8e2067cd4a17">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd save "something really cool" for when you two dance at the reception. I think dancing down the aisle is cheesy.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I agree.  And maybe I can convince him that we will use a more upbeat song for our dance at the reception.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:c26c5654-1190-4e21-8bd5-1115c2aeb9f5">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeaaaah. I'm not really sure what he wants here. Does he want to dance down the aisle? It's a really special moment in itself.
    Posted by MarriedInAFever[/QUOTE]

I blame you tube and that video of the wedding party dancing down the aisle.  But seriously, how do I tell my father that his one request for the wedding is really not going to fly? 
  • edited June 2010
    I agree that saving it for the father-daughter dance is the best way to go. Then you can also give him what he wants. It's a nice compromise.

ETA: Also, if the aisle thing is something that you really don't want to do, then you should have final say in what happens there. You're the one getting married, and it's your moment walking toward your husband-to-be.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • I don't think you need to dance down the aisle, like PP said, it's cheesy. Honestly, I think I'd roll my eyes and think it was lame if I saw someone do it. Maybe you could plan a special father/daighter dance instead.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:cbcc739e-b16a-46c3-ab25-8fb8e8341f5f">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to be an AW... : I blame you tube and that video of the wedding party dancing down the aisle.  <strong>But seriously, how do I tell my father that his one request for the wedding is really not going to fly? 
    </strong>Posted by mrscarter052011[/QUOTE]

You say, "dad, I know you want to have a special moment - but I've always envisioned my wedding day with you walking me down the aisle arm in arm.  Maybe we could use a non-traditional song for the walk, or jazz it up for our reception dance."

I dount he's going to fall on the floor crying his eyes out because he can't do the moonwalk down the aisle.
  • I think you guys should take dance lessons and do a cute father-daughter dance at the reception.

There's really no way to dance down the aisle without it looking corny.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• If we were coordinated enough, I'd have my dad and I "Ease on Down" the aisle like they do in the Wiz.
  • I don't think you can do this without being an AW.  Also...

For me, I was so caught up in "OMG, i"m about to get married... there's my FI... okay take a breath..." that I can't even remember walking down the aisle with my dad.  I mean, I did it.  There's pictures to prove it.  I just don't really recall it.  I was so overwhelmed with what was already going on, I can't even imagine trying to throw some choreography on top of that.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:1e079c71-37e4-4726-8764-7447a7d9b845">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to be an AW... : You say, "dad, I know you want to have a special moment - but I've always envisioned my wedding day with you walking me down the aisle arm in arm.  Maybe we could use a non-traditional song for the walk, or jazz it up for our reception dance." I dount he's going to fall on the floor crying his eyes out because he can't <strong>do the moonwalk down the aisle</strong>.
    Posted by tba0313[/QUOTE]

That visual is pretty awesome.

And I agree with all the PPs.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:cbcc739e-b16a-46c3-ab25-8fb8e8341f5f">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to be an AW... : I blame you tube and that video of the wedding party dancing down the aisle.  But seriously, how do I tell my father that his one request for the wedding is really not going to fly? 
    Posted by mrscarter052011[/QUOTE]

<div align="left">He's still symbolically "giving you away."  Most FOBs tend to tear up just a little at the idea of their little girl getting married.  If he's dancing down the aisle, it's going to look like he can't wait to get rid of you - symbolically speaking of course.</div>
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:2ade79f1-2aa2-4e6c-b02f-32e2f1b9bea6">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If we were coordinated enough, I'd have my dad and I "Ease on Down" the aisle like they do in the Wiz.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Well this would clearly be the exception to cheesy aisle dances. ;)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:1e079c71-37e4-4726-8764-7447a7d9b845">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to be an AW... : You say, "dad, I know you want to have a special moment - but I've always envisioned my wedding day with you walking me down the aisle arm in arm.  Maybe we could use a non-traditional song for the walk, or jazz it up for our reception dance." I dount he's going to fall on the floor crying his eyes out because he can't do the<strong> moonwalk down the aisle.</strong>
    Posted by tba0313[/QUOTE]

Now, if he had said moonwalk down the aisle I might reconsider it.
  • Walking down the aisle, I was too busy trying to figure out how to walk down steps while holding a bouquet, picking up my dress and hold onto my dad's arm all at the same time without tripping.  Adding another factor, like dancing, would have been recipe for disaster.

Suggest using a fun song for the processional or father-daughter dance.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:8d1bcf9d-29d6-4a15-a5ac-6c73fb5ca6df">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to be an AW... : He's still symbolically "giving you away."  Most FOBs tend to tear up just a little at the idea of their little girl getting married.  If he's dancing down the aisle, it's going to look like he can't wait to get rid of you - symbolically speaking of course.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

This actually made me laugh. That's a really good point though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are you getting married in a church?

Tell him that your church won't allow anything over the top.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:2611f500-f72d-4a2a-aad2-878d5aac0dbb">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you getting married in a church? Tell him that your church won't allow anything over the top.
    Posted by TheSaltyPeanut[/QUOTE]

I'm actually getting married at the country club where he works during the summer (he's a teacher during the rest of the year)  So they have pretty much given us alot of freedom.  I think that I will just ask if we could do something more upbeat for our dance at the reception and keep the ceremony low key.  Unless he learns to moonwalk and agrees to wear the MJ glove. :)
  • Have him kiss you on the cheek and shake hands with your soon to be husband. My dad did that, and it was one of my favorite parts when I looked back at the pictures. I didn't realize how much emotion showed on my dad's face.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:8d1bcf9d-29d6-4a15-a5ac-6c73fb5ca6df">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to be an AW... : He's still symbolically "giving you away."  Most FOBs tend to tear up just a little at the idea of their little girl getting married.  If he's dancing down the aisle, it's going to look like he can't wait to get rid of you - symbolically speaking of course.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

In the video, my dad looks like he can't wait to get rid of me. When we reached DH, I stepped forward the same time my dad put his hand on my back and kind of "led" me up to the altar area. But on the video, it literally looks like he is pushing me forward. My family got a kick out of teasing him for a few weeks afterwards.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:f3ba3c3f-b5d2-4dac-b342-4ee0ef15ea70">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have him kiss you on the cheek and shake hands with your soon to be husband. My dad did that, and it was one of my favorite parts when I looked back at the pictures. I didn't realize how much emotion showed on my dad's face.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]
    Oh good point.  Those are some of my favorite pics from my wedding.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Okay, I'm sorry to be "THAT PERSON."
    What does AW stand for?
    I promise I googled it all over and could not find an explanation. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AW= Attention Whore.  It's not listed in the glossary.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • I was wondering the same thing Rachel..

Where would one find the glossary?
  • Good to know I'm not the only one, SuperHero!

I think that the place to pull something like that off is the reception. I was at a wedding this weekend where the mother/son dance was a very fun and silly gig, which the crowd ate up. Would he be up for that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto the PPs: keep the processional simple, bust out the crazy moves for the father/daughter dance.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_not-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:667513ea-cdc8-41d4-b49d-eba538598071Post:4323a97e-c655-4de4-b839-de0e98634c71">Re: How not to be an AW...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering the same thing Rachel.. Where would one find the glossary?
    Posted by superheroprincess[/QUOTE]

The list on the left of this screen, under FAQ's. There's a whole list of common abbreviations in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards