Michigan-Northern

Where to begin?! location location location!!!

So we got engaged a little over a month ago and I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers on where to start:)  We are waiting till 2013 so we can save up some money but our budget will be no more than 10K...
I would love some input on locations.  We want a hip, casual feel, where there are over night accomadations either on site or very nearby as we have some big drinkers in our group.  We would love for the ceremony and reception to be at the same place or somewhere close by each other.  I would love outdoors but if you have budget friendly ideas that are indoors I am open to suggestion!!  Any pointers and advice is much appreciated:)

xo

Re: Where to begin?! location location location!!!

• binnie1binnie1 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hi - congrats on your engagement.  I have booked Timberlee Hills for our September 2012 wedding.  The pricing is very reasonable for the food and beverage, the rental fee for both the ceremony space and reception space is about $2000.  It is more of a rustic feel than hip and casual, althought the inside does have sort of a loft feel with hardword floors and a industrial style ceiling.  In fact most of northern Michigan/Traverse City spots are more rustic than hip.  Depending on the size of your guest list, you may want to check into one of the many wineries.  Two Lads on Old Mission Peninsula is very modern and cool inside.  Not sure if they rent for weddings, but worth checking out.  However, the less traditional sites often have more coordination involved.  We went for Timberlee because we are planning from Detroit and didn't want the stress of securing so many of the details from afar.

I am no expert, but hope that helps!
  • chelbell11chelbell11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely check out Crystal Mountain Resort in Thompsonville. They have everything on site and both indoor and outdoor options. You can even get married on the top of one of their mountains, it's pretty cool.
  • kr815babykr815baby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out The Inn at Stonecliffe on Mackianc Island.  That place is Amazing!!  The Perfect place for a Wedding, and then everyone goes downtown after to go to the bars!
  • kwortman80kwortman80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are getting married at the Hagerty Center, just east of downtown TC.  It's a newer building, and I'm not sure I'd call it 100% hip, but it definitely has a lot of unique features... plus it's right on the bay, with floor to ceiling windows.  The typical set-up is wedding outside in a courtyard in front of the water, cocktails in the lobby area of the center, and reception in the main room of the hall.  Only one group uses the space per day, and they're very flexible about letting you in early (and even the day before) to set up.  Almost forgot - there are hotels on either side of the center, so an easy commute for guests.

I believe the rental for our group (~150) is $1,700 for the reception, and $600 for the ceremony.  

• edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies:)  I really apprecite the info!! Anyone know of any neat venues that allow off site catering and are also near lodging? I'm beginning to think that what I want doesn't exist!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards