Florida-North Florida

Drink Tickets at the Reception

Do you think drink tickets are ok at a wedding? FH wants to give out two tickets per guest for drinks from the bar. I just wanted to get some other opinions before I agree or disagree with him. He thinks we need to limit the bar cost and that tickets would work.

Re: Drink Tickets at the Reception

• Do NOT do this.  Either provide an open bar or no bar at all. 

Your venue may offer a cheaper rate for beer and wine only. 
  • I agree.  I am all for skimping on some things.......this is prob a bad idea.  I would worry that guests would have two drinks and check out early.  : /
    Anniversary
  • We decided to put a set amount on the bar and offer beer & wine only.  Our venue specified that when they get close to our amount, they'll let us know and we can decide if we want to put more on the bar or not (depending on how quickly it goes).  I'm not a fan of tickets...
    Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree. If budget is the issue, stick with domestic beer and wine, and maybe a few signature cocktails for those of us who prefer liquor :) Also if you can bring in a keg that will be much cheaper than bottles/cans and everyone loves a nice draft!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with skipping the tickets and providing beer and wine.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Def skip the tickets, we are def doing beer and wine and I am toying with the idea of a signature drink or two (maybe just for cocktail hour). Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_drink-tickets-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:70Discussion:00c040e8-8893-4277-8892-b396898fc0ccPost:76ec4a28-3e01-4fb4-aafd-74cd155836d9">Re: Drink Tickets at the Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Def skip the tickets, we are def doing beer and wine and I am toying with the idea of a signature drink or two (<strong>maybe just for cocktail hour</strong>). Good luck!
    Posted by tudorrose01[/QUOTE]
    Keep in mind that most people won't want to switch to beer or wine after hard liquor.  If you're going to offer a signature drink, you should offer it all night.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • And be prepared for having an extra bartender if you serve draft beer.....it takes time to pour a draft.
    Anniversary
  • We're doing just beer/wine to limit costs. I contemplated a signature drink too but I think it'll just add to my worry of what the final bill will be so will probably skip it (though I did have a meaningful cute drink in mind!). Horror stories of other wedding... my sisters friends wedding they had an open bar for limited hours... Idk what happened but I guess they didn't shut it down during certain parts when people weren't using it so the hours ended before the reception was anywhere near early. Everyone started leaving - which is what could happen with the drink tickets. Another wedding I didn't go to but my FI did had an open bar for the first 2 hours then it went cash bar - people were just getting HAMMERED as fast as they could and collecting drinks to cover the tables so they had them for the rest of the night. People ended up REALLY drunk which isn't the type of wedding we want! For us the beer/wine option was financial but also to help curb people getting out of control. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards