August 2012 Weddings

The dress doesn't fit!!!!

So I'm TRYING not to freak out about this, but I had my alterations started a few weeks ago by my grandmother who is a seamstress. I bought my dress about 9 months ago, off the rack and for a very reasonable price. Then I started training for a half marathon, and trying to get to my goal weight. Since purchasing my dress, I have lost a little over 25 pounds, and 60 pounds since my largest. My grandma took in the bust area as that part was WAY too big. Then hemmed it and did the bustle. She had me come over last night, because the dress was done. I tried it on, and it is huge in the stomach and waist area. As to the point that it pretty much falls off of me.  It is an A-line dress with detailed rouching, and my grandma said if we take in the sides, it will make the rouching look off.  Then she told me there is no way she can make a dress that is 2 sizes too big for me, look good.  Needless to say I left there crying and very frustrated.

When I bought this dress I wasn't 100% satisfied with it, and didn't get that "feeling" with it. But nothing else I tried on was what I wanted. This was the closest thing to it so I got it, and I've 2nd guessed my decision ever since. 

So here's my options. Do I take it to another seamstress and get a second opinion? It now looks bunched up in the stomach and waist area, then tapers in at the bust (the only part she took in). Or since I'm not 100% on the dress, do I try to find a different one off the rack with only 7 weeks till the wedding? 

Now that I've lost all of the weight, and am finally to my total of 60 pound weight loss altogether. I would like something that flaters me, and with this dress I feel like I'm hiding behind it.  Then for her to not be able to take it in enough without it making the rouching look off.

What would you do?  

Re: The dress doesn't fit!!!!

• If you can afford it, go find the dress you really love! This is your wedding!!! You should adore your dress! Not just be 'meh' about it! Perhaps this is a sign that you're meant to get a much prettier dress now that you lost all that weight! (Congrats btw!!!)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If it was my dress I would take it to another tailor 1st.  There may be a trick of technique that your grandmother isn't aware of to take in the sides.  Then depending on how much the alteration are, because they may become very pricey, or if the dress can't be altered to fit you then I would go shopping for another dress.  I know that you said that you didn't LOVE the dress when you bought it.  Maybe with your new shape you will be able to find one that you get that feeling in.

image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It wouldn't hurt to take it to another person to see what s/he says. It also couldn't hurt to look around. If you decide to purchase a new dress, you could try to sell the one that doesn't fit to try to offset the costs.

Another option: can your grandmother make you a dress? You could buy the fabric and make it in a style that you like. It's possible that buying the fabric needed will be cheaper than buying a whole new dress. I don't know if she does any beadwork, but you could skip that if the style you like is fine without it.

• I got my dress on ebay for a steal. I had already tried it on in the store so I knew what size I needed. Here is the seller I got my dress from: <a href="http://myworld.ebay.com/chas1112/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754" rel="nofollow">http://myworld.ebay.com/chas1112/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754</a>

It came totally brand new, they just cut out the designer tag, and I received it in California from Florida in 2 days.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_the-dress-doesnt-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:ee1c6006-e4db-4d73-ac44-6dd47294f183Post:e5acfa4f-1813-45c0-8a4b-531b2fc5f5ed">Re: The dress doesn't fit!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It wouldn't hurt to take it to another person to see what s/he says. It also couldn't hurt to look around. If you decide to purchase a new dress, you could try to sell the one that doesn't fit to try to offset the costs. Another option: can your grandmother make you a dress? You could buy the fabric and make it in a style that you like. It's possible that buying the fabric needed will be cheaper than buying a whole new dress. I don't know if she does any beadwork, but you could skip that if the style you like is fine without it.
    Posted by dsquared28[/QUOTE]
  • kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    I agree with PP.  I would take the dress to a good tailor first.  Not only may s/he be able to alter it to fit you, but he or she may also be able to reconfigure the dress a bit to make it the dress of your dreams!  It may cost a bit more, but I bet it would still be cheaper than getting a whole new dress.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    I guess it depends on your budget and timing. Keep in mind that it is unlikely you will find an off the rack dress that doesn't need alterations so you'll have to have time to get a new dress altered. Also, I'm guessing you have a ton of other things to do before the wedding.

I would take it to another seamstress. Most dresses should be able to be taken down two sizes without compromising the style of the dress.
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • edited June 2012
    I agree with PP about going to another tailor/seamstress to get a second opinion. You might just run into a whiz who knows exactly what to do with it. At the same time though, I would maybe look a little bit at off-the-rack options (like the clearance section at David's) that would be inexpensive and you could take home that day. Also, don't be afraid to look at a department store like Macy's or Nordstrom.

Looking at your other options should give you a good feel for how much money you are willing to sink into your current dress being altered versus buying a new one.

ETA: If you're going the route of say, eBay, I would definitely go to a bridal salon and try on a couple dresses (even bm dresses or ones you know you'll hate) to see what size you would fit into now since (as you know) bridal sizes are different.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • If you can afford to go look again, I would.  But, I would also get a second opinion because that's just how I am.
    Congrats on the weight loss, BTW!!!!  It's something to celebrate, so try not to get upset about the dress.  I'm sure you'll find a resolution.
  • Congrats to you on your amazing weight loss, you deserve to feel fantastic in your wedding dress. I would take it to get a second opinion. Maybe they can take it in and you could buy a beaded sash to cover up if the ruching doesn't lay right. I'm sure they'll get it figured out for you.
    Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • I would bring it in to anther seamstress! Congrats on the weight loss! 
  • Thank you SO much for your help ladies. This makes me feel a bit better. I think so far I'm going to go to our local bridal boutique and take a look around. With my newfound body (and curves) I want something that flatters me and show this off. If I don't find anything there that just wow's me and that I can take off the rack, then I'm going to stick with my current dress and get another opinion on alterations. There has to be a way to make it work, but I'm just not 100% as to whether I want to MAKE it work or not.

Thankfully as far as the budget, our original budget was $1,000 for a dress and I found this one for $300. So we still have some wiggle room to purchase a different dress. And the local bridal boutique has an entire section of outlet and sample dresses that are under $800.
  • Take it to another seamstress. My dress (<<Clicky) has ruching all over the bodice and we took it in several inches. If you still don't love the dress knowing what your options are then maybe start shopping again. I just hate for you to have to try to find another dress, get it in, and get it altered in 7 weeks just because you didn't know you actually could get the dress changed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been trying to loose weight, so that was the 1st question I asked the alterations department before buying my dress - "How much can it be taken it?"  They said their general rule is no more than 2 sizes down.  I'd head out shopping ASAP!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_the-dress-doesnt-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:ee1c6006-e4db-4d73-ac44-6dd47294f183Post:00ecbb7b-3cc7-4728-859c-f5145adab499">Re: The dress doesn't fit!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thankfully as far as the budget, our original budget was $1,000 for a dress and I found this one for $300. So we still have some wiggle room to purchase a different dress. And the local bridal boutique has an entire section of outlet and sample dresses that are under $800.
    Posted by brij2006[/QUOTE]

That's so awesome! I hope it all works out. Congrats on the weight loss!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Update:  My mom and I went to the bridal boutique tonight, and I found THE dress. It's gorgeous and shows off every bit of my hard work with weight loss!!! And no wonder my grandma was afraid to even try to take my dress in. I originally bought a size 10, and this one is a size 4! The seamstress at the bridal place even said she would've told me to get a different dress.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine purchasing a size 4 wedding dress. I had always been a good size 14. And since I purchased my original gown there, they gave me 15% off whichever dress I purchased, and have offered to try and sell my old gown in their outlet store. 

I walked out of there under our $800 budget, and the seamstress did my first fitting and bustle right there.  I am 100% happy and satisfied. No more wondering whether someone will be able to get my big dress to fit. 

Thank you girls for all of your support.  You girls are amazing!
  • Wow! I'm glad you found something great so quick! You know we'd love to see photos if you're comfortable sharing :)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Here is the new dress. It has some jewels and beadwork throught the bodice too.
  • GORGEOUS!!!!  I love the new dress.  And congrats on the weight loss.  You have done an amazing job to go from a 14 to a 4!!!
    image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards