Wedding Reception Forum

No dinner wording

I'm planning on having a later ceremony/Reception all at one venue, pictures before the ceremony.  Establishing that we're going straight from ceremony to celebration.  I am providing an open bar, appetizers and cake. 

I'm actually ok on how I'm wording my invites, but the wedding website is another animal!! I want to give guests options for dinner in the area, but how do I lead into it?

Currently, I'm stuck here: "Our ceremony will begin at 7pm with a cocktail/appetizer reception to follow; Below are some delicious dining options for dinner:"

Thoughts? 

Thanks!

Re: No dinner wording

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_no-dinner-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9e5da426-982d-48b7-95a8-a291ea280fdePost:3f311103-2fcb-4292-b542-2251eebaf969">No dinner wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on having a later ceremony/Reception all at one venue, pictures before the ceremony.  Establishing that we're going straight from ceremony to celebration.  I am providing an open bar, appetizers and cake.  I'm actually ok on how I'm wording my invites, but the wedding website is another animal!! I want to give guests options for dinner in the area, but how do I lead into it? Currently, I'm stuck here: "Our ceremony will begin at 7pm with a cocktail/appetizer reception to follow; Below are some delicious dining options for dinner:" Thoughts?  Thanks!
    Posted by aisenberg87[/QUOTE]

Stage is right, you really need to serve a meal at that time.  In order to be at a 7:00pm ceremony, I'd have to be pretty much done eating by 6:00pm so that I could get ready and drive there.  So, I'd be eating at like 5:00pm, and that's too early to me.  I'd expect a meal at a 7:00pm wedding.

Your wording is fine for the website.  Just make sure that if you have an appetizer/cocktail reception, you including wording on the invitation that suggests that.

SaveSave
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Ditto, if I were invited to a 7P ceremony, I'd expect enough food to equate a meal.  I wouldn't start the ceremony any earlier than 8PM.
  • I would expect enough food to be considered dinner if I went to a 7pm wedding also.

I don't like your wording at all.  You are actually pointing out that you should be feeding them more, but aren't.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited June 2012
    Ditto everyone else. Move the wedding back to 8 and I wouldn't recommend restaurants. If anything on your wedding website, if there is a page about accommodations, I might put there with the hotel info what restaurants are nearby. That way OOT guests will have some to choose from but you aren't outright pointing out that you aren't serving dinner.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Ditto. 7pm is dinner time so a full meal needs to be served.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's weird to mention "appetizers" because that's what's served before a meal and there will be no meal... I think if you don't use that word, it might help.
  • I think if you say "Cocktails to follow" or "Cake and cocktail to follow" then people will get the idea that there's no meal. Sure, you'll have some nibbles, but not enough for a meal.  I agree with pushing the ceremony start time back, if you can.
    DSC_9275
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I would move the ceremony back to 8 p.m. and call them hors d'oeuvres not appetizers.
    Lizzie
  • It's normal around here for a 7 pm wedding to not have a meal.  If you indicate such on your invitation with a  "cocktail reception to follow" line, it should be fine.  I would not, however, point out the fact that you aren't serving a meal.  If you put something on the website, I think it should be listed as accomodations.  Break things into categories, like "Places to stay," "Places to eat" and "places to see."
  • I agree with the PP here. If you, like me, are stuck with the 7pm wedding time (due to the venue being high in demand and scheduling 2+ weddings per day), then I would definitely say "light refreshments" or "hors d'oeuvres" on the website. Splitting the different things like hotel, eateries, and attractions is a good idea as it doesn't outright say "Find your own food" but it does give out-of-town guests many options. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards