Wedding Woes
Options

Interesting blog post on Rutgers webcam suicide

http://www.doublex.com/blog/xxfactor/we-dont-know-why-tyler-clementi-killed-himself

A lot of speculation, out of necessity, since no one is really talking.

Re: Interesting blog post on Rutgers webcam suicide

• Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The more I read about this story, the more upset I get.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think that despite the tone of what was written by cit2mo it was eating at him more than he was letting on. Granted, no one knows the full story and no one ever will. But from what I've seen with people who have been seriously depressed/upset/suicidal (I did a lot of volunteering in a psych center/ward) they have a very good technique for hiding it until they take that final step.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blackhearted post of the day: does the roommate still get all A's for the semester if he caused the suicide?

But seriously the whole thing is sickening. I'm sure there was a lot more going on, but I could easily see this beeing kindof the last straw. I certainly don't feel bad that the roommate has to live the rest of his life thinking it was his fault.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DED @ TD. Dead Man on Campus is a great movie.

So sad that it really happened though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I think the roommate's actions were inexcusable.  I was surprised that--if it's even the same person in those posts--the guy didn't sound that distraught about it.  But I'm way out of my league here, and will defer to Tt's experience.

Very sad, regardless.
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The author of that blog has been researching internet bullying, and wrote 2 other articles exonerating the "bullies" for the suicides they were blamed for. Pheobe Prince and The VQ editor. In this case I think she's way off base, TT has a better interpretation. I can understand this kid being so ashamed that he wouldn't know how to face the world. I can see him turning to chat rooms to find an answer because there was no one he could talk to/trust.

I'm kind of surprised no PO'd BeeBee reported you guys to her... She posted requests for reader input on cyberbullying all over Slate, in print and online.

Dear Rain, Not Today. Sincerely, My Parade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards