Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

How can I get rid of oily skin?

By the middle of the day, my face gets oily. It's not bad but it's visible. I wash my face with cetaphil and use a moisturizer. I use MAC foundation. Is there anything I can use or do to get rid of my problem?

Thanks ladies!

Re: How can I get rid of oily skin?

• edited December 2011
    My derma taught me a trick - I do my moisturizer and let it dry. After about 10 min, I swab over it with astringent.  Beats my oilies for most of the day :D
  • edited December 2011
    What kinda of moisturize do you use? My derm had me go through 4 different moisturizers before we found the one that works and doesn't make me oily. It's actually the cetaphil moisturizer and I love it!
    I use MAC as well and after going through several different types of those I've figured out that the studio fix compact power will not oil up late afternoon for my skin.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you tried oil absorbing sheets? It doesn't get rid of the problem altogether but it allows you to get rid of some of the oil in the middle of the day without messing up your makeup or having to wash your whole face.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My daughter as oily skin and her dermatologist has her on Cetaphil also, including the moisturizer.  She also uses the oil absorbing sheets like Merritt suggested.

I don't think you ever get "rid" of oily skin, unfortunately! 
  • edited December 2011
    I use the clinique face wash & gel moisturizer. Be careful not to use a face wash that is too harsh, it can actually make your face produce more oils. I also had to change from the lotion to the gel moisturizer because the lotion was too heavy & I would be oily too at the end of the day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_can-rid-of-oily-skin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:f6721f3a-d607-4ef5-b2cf-98661f461595Post:916e0036-007a-479a-acd9-c135a52cb857">Re: How can I get rid of oily skin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter as oily skin and her dermatologist has her on Cetaphil also, including the moisturizer.  She also uses the oil absorbing sheets like Merritt suggested.<strong> I don't think you ever get "rid" of oily skin, unfortunately! 
    </strong>Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

This.   I think finding the right moisturizer is critical, and unfortunately a trial and error process.

I know Clinique has a 3 step skin care program that is designed for oily skin.  You might stop by their counter and get a sample.   I've heard good things.
  • Tia_ChicaTia_Chica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies you all rock! I can't wait to try your suggestions.
  • edited December 2011
    I have oily skin and I use the Clinique 3 step for oily skin.  The moisturizer is actually a gel instead of a lotion.  Also, I carry a packet of oil absorbing sheets, just in case I'm having an over oily day.  :)

ETA: I use a makeup remover. Then I wash my face with the cleanser, then toner, then moisturizing gel.  I know it sounds like a lot.
  • Katy LanzaKaty Lanza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_can-rid-of-oily-skin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:f6721f3a-d607-4ef5-b2cf-98661f461595Post:1c54b598-9c70-4858-8932-6957187fa227">Re: How can I get rid of oily skin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What kinda of moisturize do you use? My derm had me go through 4 different moisturizers before we found the one that works and doesn't make me oily. It's actually the cetaphil moisturizer and I love it! I use MAC as well and after going through several different types of those I've figured out that the studio fix compact power will not oil up late afternoon for my skin.
    Posted by holi108[/QUOTE]

I second this! I have MAC liquid foundation as well as the Studio Fix powder and when I use the powder, my skin is less oily by afternoon time. Not that it's not still a little oily, but it's not near as bad if I don't use it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have started to use Mary kay timewise system and is awesome. That combined with mineral foundation does wonders!
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Clinique Dramatically Different Gel is great for the summer for me when I'm oily.  Also, I know that I seem to get better if I re-apply loose powder during the day. 
  • MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_can-rid-of-oily-skin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:f6721f3a-d607-4ef5-b2cf-98661f461595Post:838c8378-10ca-4a69-8589-1eda7925a39c">Re: How can I get rid of oily skin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How can I get rid of oily skin? : I second this! I have MAC liquid foundation as well as the Studio Fix powder and when I use the powder, my skin is less oily by afternoon time. Not that it's not still a little oily, but it's not near as bad if I don't use it.
    Posted by Katy Lanza[/QUOTE]

<div>I third this!  I use MAC Studio FX as well and it works great.  I can use it without the foundation too and it still gives me good coverage so that I don't have to have as much product on my face.  I actually use the L'Oreal Skin Genesis Day Moisturizer, but unfortunately I jsut found it it's discontinued :(  Onto the next one!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards