Connecticut

Venue Open Bar

I recently attended my FI Christmas Party hosted by his job.  It was held at the beautiful Waters Edge in Westbrook.  The party was fun and food was great also with open bar.  They offered beer, wine and mixed drinks....the full setup.  However, the mixed drinks were not strong at all.  I had three mixed drinks and it tasted as if I was having fruit drinks.  All this is OK with me since I drink socially. 

My thought is:  My FI and I are having open bar...do all venues make weak drinks or was this just Waters Edge practice?  I mean, we are paying for open bar...if they are going to make weak drinks...the venues should at least give a discount.. LOL

What are your thoughts...experiences?

Re: Venue Open Bar

• If they're weak, just get two?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You're not going to be able to control how they make their drinks. If someone's drink isn't right, they should just be able to go back to the bartender and have them fix it.

But, I was given this tip just before my wedding: When you get to the place, give the bartenders some money in an envelope (We gave each $20, I've heard $50 is good), and just THANK them for being a part of your day and taking care of your guests. Theory is, they'll make better drinks and not rack up your bar bill as much.
  • I feel the need to speak to this because I am a bartender at Water's Edge.  The drinks may have tasted weak, but I assure you they are not.  We use rocks glasses (8 oz I think) for all drinks except wine and they all have a shot in them, any more and they would be pretty much all liquor.  The pourers we use have stoppers on them, but I usually add a little more.  If you ask for a double, most bartenders will give you a double with no questions asked.  The reason drinks aren't typically made strong at functions is because it's harder to keep an eye on how much people are drinking, especially because there are multiple bars.  I'm also going to add, always be nice to the bartender or they will make your drinks weaker because acting like a jerk (for lack of a better word) is a sign that people may have had too much to drink and we are responsible for that.  Also, be aware that some venues do not give out shots.  It is part of the liability insurance.  I know this is true for Anthony's and Water's Edge (however, there are ways around it).  I'm not sure about other places, but I know Aqua Turf does allow shots.
  • To add to what Carebear said, could it have been a request by his company to make a weaker drink? I know that was something my company requested for their previous Christmas parties.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards