Ohio-Cincinnati

Nicholsons PSA

I had my rehearsal dinner scheduled for Saturday September 25th at Nicholsons downtown but in the light of recent events including them losing their liquor license my dinner has had to be cancelled. I was only aware of this informatiom from seeing it on the news. Nobody from the restaurant called to let me know that we would not longer be able to have our dinner there. Well with less than a month I have had to find another place for our dinner. This is just an FYI in case you have anything planned there in the following month or so.

Re: Nicholsons PSA

• edited December 2011
    Oh no! Well, the good thing is that this didn't happen the week of your wedding and you had a bit of time to find an alternate location.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• cincy32011cincy32011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great minds think alike!  We're having our reception at the Phoenix and were considering Nicholson's for our rehearsal (which isn't until March).  I'm sorry to hear about this.  It's the last thing you need this close to the wedding!

We came across a pretty great place the other day that you could use as a replacement if you're willing to venture outside of downtown.  The View Restaurant near Eden Park has a great private room below it.  They're very flexible with food, bar, etc. and prices were comparably to Nicholsons.  Good luck!
    image 286 Invited
    image 243 Attending
    image 42 Declined
    image 1 Unknown
    RSVP Date: February 12
  • afloggieafloggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_nicholsons-psa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:268430d7-0ce5-4b52-a463-254f648fda07Post:02075bc6-6787-406b-a9f8-4dc22814afe2">Re: Nicholsons PSA</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great minds think alike!  We're having our reception at the Phoenix and were considering Nicholson's for our rehearsal (which isn't until March).  I'm sorry to hear about this.  It's the last thing you need this close to the wedding! We came across a pretty great place the other day that you could use as a replacement if you're willing to venture outside of downtown.  The View Restaurant near Eden Park has a great private room below it.  They're very flexible with food, bar, etc. and prices were comparably to Nicholsons.  Good luck!
    Posted by cincy32011[/QUOTE]
    We are now looking at City Cellars for our RD. Its free to use the space we just have to purchase beverages through them and we can bring in our own food. I am so excited to have our wedding at The Phoenix!
  • cincy32011cincy32011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We were looking at City Cellars too, but we need to fit about 50 people, and it's too small. 

image 286 Invited
    image 243 Attending
    image 42 Declined
    image 1 Unknown
    RSVP Date: February 12
  • 101709lovey101709lovey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just an FYI that they are in the final stages of the paperwork process (according to the news everywhere) to get the license situation fixed.  They decided to close for 2 weeks to get the necessary renovations done so they can get it back and everything I've read and seen suggests that they will be back open w/out a hitch in about 2 weeks.  It might be worth just calling to double check w/ them; they may not have contacted anyone b/c they truthfully expect it to be resolved soon.  GL!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • HSchallHSchall member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at Nicholsons originally and went with McCormick and Schmick.  They have been great to work with so far and are fantastic about making working within a budget.  The party room is also very nice--although it is on the 2nd floor of the Westin and looks sort of like a hotel party room it has big windows overlooking fountain square.
  • edited December 2011
    Give them a call. This is a temporary closing due to paperwork not being filed correctly/in time. They are not planning to be closed for good at all! The news stations kept saying  "popular restaurant closing" etc and made people upset and in your case I bet in a panic about where to have the dinner! The online report that I saw stated that they were re-opening between Sept 10 and 12th. Give your group planner there a call. I hope it works out for you!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I had my rehearsal at City Cellars and it was great!  Very convenient for The Phoenix too.  It was a little cramped (and we had about 30 people) but everyone was super nice and accommodating.  We had Pompiilios catered in and it was a big hit!  Good luck!
  • afloggieafloggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_nicholsons-psa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:268430d7-0ce5-4b52-a463-254f648fda07Post:e6231b19-f050-48d1-b49c-13f48ef98195">Re: Nicholsons PSA</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just an FYI that they are in the final stages of the paperwork process (according to the news everywhere) to get the license situation fixed.  They decided to close for 2 weeks to get the necessary renovations done so they can get it back and everything I've read and seen suggests that they will be back open w/out a hitch in about 2 weeks.  It might be worth just calling to double check w/ them; they may not have contacted anyone b/c they truthfully expect it to be resolved soon.  GL!
    Posted by 101709lovey[/QUOTE]
    I did contact them and they were less than helpful and told me they didnt know if they would be open or not but I could keep my reservation. WTF? And I had to call them they never called me. But we have found a new place so Nicholsons can suck it lol
  • edited December 2011
    I think you did the right thing...you can't count on them getting that license back.  "Paperwork" problems might allude to some shadiness that isn't explained in the news coverage.  I would think that a liqour license is pretty essential to their business.  Can't imagine that they'd let that slip without some weird things going on.

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you worked everything out!

Also, thanks for the City Cellars recommendation.  I'm now looking into that one for our rehearsal!
  • edited December 2011
    Just FYI - Looks like Nicholson's got their license back and have reopened.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100901/ENT01/309010089/0/SPT04/Nicholson-s-The-Pub-reopen
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards