Wedding Party
Options

WPBP of the day

When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price?

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift?

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding?
Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
My Planning Bio
My Married Bio updated March 4

Re: WPBP of the day

• Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price? I asked my 2 friends and they both said no more than $250 (which is a LOT for a stupid dress) and my two sisters weren't paying for theirs, my mom was. So my mom said around the same as the friends' responses.
    Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?I paid for hair and makeup because I wanted my friends to be pampered too. They got to choose how it got done. The hair got expensive because some people wanted tons of curls. The make up artist was a friend of my mom's but wasn't invited to the wedding, but she said she'd be honored to do it for free, so I got her a gc to her favorite restaurant in town.
    What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? Oh, I loved giving my baseball loving friend her gift. Tickets to a rockies game
    Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? I went to more dance classes but I still ate like shiit! In fact, I weigh less now than I did at the wedding!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2010
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price? I didn't, because I gave them a color and length and told them to pick.  They all picked what they could afford.  Two paid $80, two paid $105, and one paid $124.  That was all about the maximum I figured that they would spend anyway.

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it? No, I gave them the offer.  I told them where I was getting my hair and makeup done, and the prices, and offered to book them slots.  A few took me up on both, a few said only hair, and one said only makeup.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? I haven't decided on gifts yet.  I have to get cracking on that.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? Eh.  I go to the gym, and I try to eat less fats and sugars.  But I'm not going overboard.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price?  They all said around $100

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?  I did not require pro hair or makeup.  I told everyone where I was getting my hair done and the cost and told them I would book a time for them.  4 of my BMs got their hair done with me and the other one did her own hair. 

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift?  I enjoyed giving all of them their gifts.  I didn't really have a favorite gift out of the group.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding?  No.  I eat pretty good and usually run 3-5 times a week so I just kept doing that.
  • Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price? I didn't know at the time to do that and tried to keep it at DB prices or lower.  I wanted to go for off the rack dresses until I realized that their body types were way too different to look good in one dress, and most of the off the rack dresses where I could do that were navy/black/other dark colors which DH and I didn't want or had dresses that were not my BMs' styles at all. 

I figured they'd look at prices while trying on dresses since the designers we were looking at had large price ranges and they were choosing a style in the same designer/length/color/fabric, but they didn't.  They cared more about finding dresses they liked than anything and the majority vote was for an AA line that was under $100 from Pearl's Place.

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it? I never even mentioned hair and makeup.  We all did our own makeup.  One BM went to a hair stylist friend's house for hair at the last minute.  Originally all were going to do their own, but they were calling for high humidity/rain and that BM and I get the frizzies with rain so she couldn't just straighten it like she'd planned and decided on a certain updo that she couldn't do as neatly as her friend could.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? My sister's bear shaped cupcake bakers.  They seemed so her and shopping for her is so hard.  She always wants odd things as gifts but it's hit or miss as to whether she loves them or thinks they're lame.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? I was trying to get into better shape anyway and I added a couple things to my routine to tone for the dress.  I need to start working out again, DH and I got lazy after the wedding.
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2010
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price?
    It ranged between $150 and $200.

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?
    I offered both to everyone, including the mothers.  I left it up to them if they wanted to so they didn't have to worry about what to do with their hair.  They all took me up on the hair, except for my sister and no one but me and my mom had our make up done.  I paid.

I went around to antique stores and found them each a handkerchief that suited their own personalities.  They all really loved them, my sister especially because she was crying like a baby!

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding?
    I started a bootcamp class about a year before and I am still going more than a year after.  I've become addicted.

Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price?  I haven't asked yet.  It's too early to decide on anything, but I've been browsing dresses $100 or less.  If one of my girls can't afford that much, I'll be able to cover the difference.

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it? I'll tell them where I'm getting mine done and ask if they want to come along, but I doubt they will, esp since it's a bit pricey. 

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? Haven't decided on anything specific yet, but I'll probably get different cookbooks for at least some of my girls

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? I'm generally trying to be more healthy, but not b/c of the wedding.  I'm trying to eat more protein b/c I don't think I eat enough.  I worked up to running a 5K earlier this summer b/c some of my friends were.  After I was finally able to do it I stopped b/c I hate running!  My friends were surpised I started at all!
  • Options
    lilianne22lilianne22 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price?   I didn't ask.  My MOH went dress shopping with me and picked one she liked.  I showed it to my BM's and asked them to pick something in the same color and length.  They actually really liked the one my MOH picked though and all ended up getting the same one.  It was $115.

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?  I told them they could do their own hair and makeup or have it done wherever they liked.  They all have different lengths and types of hair so I wasn't going to make them all get the same look.   I'm pretty sure they all plan to do their own hair and makeup.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift?  Still picking these out.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding?  Nope.
  • Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price? I didn't know to ask, but I said that I was going to keep it under $200 and to let me know if that was ok, and everyone said it was (and knowing them, I know that they genuinely were all able to afford that and didn't just say it was ok to shut me up).

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it? Everyone did their own hair and make-up. We all got our nails done together the day before, but that was a case of "hey, I'm going to do this, let me know if you want to do it too," and everyone decided to do either manicure, pedicure or both just for fun.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? I gave my local BM an art print she'd wanted for over a year as a combined birthday/BM gift, and seeing how much she loved it made that my favorite gift to have given.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? I did 30 Day Shred a few times beforehand because I wanted to tone my arms (something I'd wanted to do for a while, so I used the wedding as motivation), and I found it effective, but I was too busy to do it that often.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price?  I didn't ask, because I just told them to wear black, and they picked their own.  (Not a single one went through a bridal line, with the exception of my sister whose DB dress came from a thrift store.)  The groomswoman told me under $100 when I was helping her look, but also ended up choosing her own.

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?  It was a DW on a somewhat restricted timeline, so I gave them all the option of using the stylist I brought in for hair and makeup, or doing it themselves.  All six girls opted to use her for hair, but not makeup.  I picked up the tab after MONTHS of searching for someone who I could afford.  ETA: While I was still shopping around, I did ask them all what they could comfortably contribute toward hair/makeup if it became necessary.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift?  I gave mine all the same gift, a lovely leatherbound edition of Grimm's Fairy Tales.  I'd intended to get them all something different, but was pretty damn pleased to hit on something they'd all like.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding?  Nope, I've never done the whole diet and exercise thing because I've always maintained a fairly consistent weight.  I should probably start, though, because once my metabolism starts to slow down, I'm going to blow up like crazy.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price? The $100-150 range. 

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?I'm making it available and I will pay for it, but it's not a requirement. My FSIL is amazing-hair-do champ, so I would hate to stifle her awesomeness. But anyway, whoever wants hair/makeup will get it.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? I'm really excited about my sister's gift. She's trying to build her small business right now, so I'm having calling cards and other stationery made for her. I'm also getting her a gift card to her favorite restaurant. I think she'll love it.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? Um, no, and it's still something I struggle with because apparently I was supposed to go diet/exercise crazy as soon as I was proposed to, according to some of the crap I've taken from other people. I don't want to be or look like anyone different than me on my wedding day. I don't think getting married is a good reason to stress and guilt myself into trying to slim down.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't ask. I was planning on buying my MOH's dress so it didn't matter. She tried on a bunch of dresses and got the one we all liked best (I didn't have any BMs).

Originally I was going to do my own hair and makeup, but my mom ended up doing mine. As it turned out, SIL works for Mary Kay so she did our makeup for free using her own stuff.

I got my MOH a set of toy horses we used to play with as kids. She lost hers awhile ago and was really sad about it, and when I found them at a toy store I knew I had to get them for her. She loved them.

No, but once I got the dress back after the final alterations I just made sure to eat healthy because if I gained any weight it would have been too tight.
  • Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price?: Most said under $200, but one said under $150

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it?: I gave them the option of having their hair done (I didn't pay for it).  2 of them decided to make an appointment and the other two did their own.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift?: I got them all wristlets, but different styles.  I knew it was something each of them would use.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding?: I tried, but it didn't pan out the way I wanted it too.
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price? Everybody pretty much said "Keep it under $200". I think the actual dresses wound up being $120

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it? Nope. I got ready by myself (Which, after the unscheduled blow-up I had with my sister that morning, I'm very glad I was able to be left alone while I got ready) and told them to do whatever. They did "whatever" and everybody looked nice, so no complaints

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? We wound up taking everybody out individually to their favorite restaurants post-wedding (We hit an unexpected budget problem, and wound up not being able to do the "real" gifts we'd planned on)

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? I got very lucky. I was on limited time and the sample dress happened to fit me perfectly when I was shopping, so I didn't have to "guess" when ordering, I just dieted a little so I could fit all the undergarments into the dress.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Bms & dress prices?Looking back I should have asked but I hadn't joined the boards and realized how rude I was yet. I'm a cheapo so I wasn't going to pick anything above $150. I also offered each girl individually to pay for the difference of whatever they were comfortable with. All the girls were good with the price. I didn't require shoes or anything.

Hair and Makeup? I offered to pay for it if anyone wanted to have it done. I have a stylist friend who is coming to the hotel for free to do hair and makeup...a gift to me. I told the girls they could roll out of bed and wear their hair however but most have taken me up on the offer to get pampered for free...with a hair style they get to choose.

Favorite thing for gifts?This is my biggest regret. In my area it is customary to get girls matching jewelry. I did what everyone does and got cute heart pendants from Zales with diamonds. They are awesome necklaces and I go them on sale (or else I would never be able to afford them). Looking back I wish I had of shopped individually. I plan to get smaller individual gifts to personalize and put with the necklace.

Diet? People are going to hate me for this. When I get stressed, or very "plan oriented", I forget to eat. I actually lost 15 lbs and had to have my dress re-altered. I keep losing weight but it has gotten to an unhealthy point. I have to make myself eat but my stomach has now shrunken so that I feel nauseous or I get sick when I do eat. I'm trying to gain 5 lbs so I don't have to get my dress altered again.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    When you asked your bms what they could afford for their dress, what was the price? I haven't asked yet, because I've honestly given about 2 minutes of thought to the BM dresses so far.

Are you/Did you have everyone get their hair and makeup done? If so, did you pay for it? I am planning on going the "here's what I'm doing, and it costs this much" route.

What was/is your favorite thing to give to your BP as their gift? Another thing I haven't given a lot of thought to yet.

Are you/Did you go on a diet or new exercise regime to look good for your wedding? I keep saying I'm going to, but....  I just ordered my dress about 2 weeks ago, and it fit perfectly, so I'll probably start working on toning up for the dress and the honeymoon.
  • Options

They each gave me a ceiling of around $200 and the dress we went with was $150.

Nope.  Two opted to get their hair done professionally by their own stylists, the other two did their own.

Totally lame photo albums that spanned the life of our friendships. 

I worked out to Jillian Michaels videos for 6 months and (combined with the law school exam diet) lost 20 lbs.  Managed to keep off 10 :)

Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    suz, I forget to eat too.  If I'm really stressed the thought of food makes me sick.  Good luck gaining the weight!  I recommend donuts and chocolate milk.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-201?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:641ebc1d-cbf4-4692-9154-42de7b5abf41Post:692aae8e-add0-4d83-bd35-423a2731e810">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE] People are going to hate me for this. When I get stressed, or very "plan oriented", I forget to eat. I actually lost 15 lbs and had to have my dress re-altered. I keep losing weight but it has gotten to an unhealthy point. I have to make myself eat but my stomach has now shrunken so that I feel nauseous or I get sick when I do eat. I'm trying to gain 5 lbs so I don't have to get my dress altered again.
    Posted by suz62984[/QUOTE]
    I think that's really common.  That's what I referred to as the "law exam diet" since during exams I might (might) eat once per day, and then only if someone in my study group brings a snack.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards