Wedding Etiquette Forum

S/O Tattoos (poll)

To avoid further threadjacking the tattooed BM thread, I'll ask here:

- How many tattoos do you have?
- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any?
- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?
- Any regrets?
- Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked?

Bonus points for pics!

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko

Re: S/O Tattoos (poll)

• I have 1 of a bird it's on the back of my neck. I got it a week after my 21st b-day and I love it. It really has no meaning though, I just love birds.
    I want more but I don't know what/ where.
    This is it all fresh and still red. Now it's just black and grey

• I would cover it but I would be bummed about it. It can alays easily be covered by my hair though. Now, if they required my hair be up and the tattoo be covered, I'd be annoyed.
    I like that its in an area that I can easily cover and that hopefully will never get too fat or wrinkly. Thats one thing I want for my next tattoo, an area that wont warp too much with age
  • Wow, I really like yours Roxy! It actually looks great new and red too. ;)

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tattoos-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4425e37-0550-4a88-ba2e-b3d82d8c581dPost:28028e11-d9c0-4976-8168-be441946d55c">Re: S/O Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would cover it but I would be bummed about it. It can alays easily be covered by my hair though. Now, if they required my hair be up and the tattoo be covered, I'd be annoyed. <strong>I like that its in an area that I can easily cover and that hopefully will never get too fat or wrinkly. Thats one thing I want for my next tattoo, an area that wont warp too much with age</strong>
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

This is good thinking on your part. I am so, so glad that the guy who did my hip tat when I was 17 refused to do it on my stomach. I remember being so outraged that he said I might get fat or pregnant in the future and it would become distorted. I was like, OMG I'm NEVER going to get fat or pregnant! Haha, I was such an idiot.

• Thank you! I love it. I want an owl tattoo but T says that's a lot of winged animals.
    You can see how much my scoliosis has ruined my shoulders in that photo (see how the left one is so much higher?)
  • edited May 2010
    I have 2. I have a claddagh on my lower back. My dad gave my mom a claddagh ring shortly after they got married, and I love the meaning of it. The heart represents love, the hands, friendship, and the crown is loyalty.
    The other is a 2 fish, in a pisces symbol, since thats my sign. They are colored purple, because my birthstone is Amethyst. :)
    No pictures of them tho. :(

Edit: I wouldnt cover them. The bottom one would never even be seen anyway, and the top one is tiny. I wouldnt ever ask anyone to cover theirs either, unless is was offensive in some way to the general public.
  • I suppose I should answer my own poll...

- How many tattoos do you have? One
    - If some, what do you have and where? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? A half moon with flowers around it (color) on my hip. I may get something else with H, nothing matching or names, but we'd both like something new that incorporates each other. Dumb, I know, but I love the idea. :)
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? Nothing really. I was immature and into celestial and hippie stuff back then.
    - Any regrets? Sort of. I wish I had gotten something that meant more.
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? If they absolutely insisted upon it, but I wouldn't be super happy about it.

• Oh ouch Roxy, I didn't know you had scoliosis. I'm sorry. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything though. Does it hurt? And I think an owl would be okay, at least you'd have a theme. :)

Sara, yours sound really interesting!

• Haha thats funny BG, he just knew that someday you'd appreciate it. I want one ony my wrist but I don't know since it would always be visible. After seeing Gretchen talk about hers I'm kind of wondering about a foot one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tattoos-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4425e37-0550-4a88-ba2e-b3d82d8c581dPost:50d89d4a-bc13-4c2c-94d9-566a38c51ab6">Re: S/O Tattoos</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh ouch Roxy, I didn't know you had scoliosis. I'm sorry. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything though. Does it hurt? And I think an owl would be okay, at least you'd have a theme. :) Sara, yours sound really interesting!
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]
    Hahah it's ok, it sucks and it's not super noticable except for the fact that I slouch because of it. It hurts if I'm stressed out or if I put too much strain on the left side (I'm left handed and its the side the scoliosis puts extra strain on). T and I just talked yesterday that when we have kids I don't think I'll be able to carry a baby carrier around or even a baby for a long time. I need to be going to PT
  • Thanks beatles. :)
    My sister and I are getting poppy's on our feet in memory of my brothers best friend who was killed in iraq last year.

Roxy, I think an owl would be so cute!
  • The bird is cute, Roxi!

I have none. I always wanted one on my wrist when I was younger, but never went ahead with it; I think I'd be judged in the professional world if I had one that could be spotted... that, and I guess it's really just not me. I had a symbol I'd picked with some meaning, but I'm sort of glad I didn't define myself in such a permanent way now. 

• Wow, that's definitely something I would take for granted, and that sucks that you wouldn't be able to carry stuff like that. That's good that PT can help with it.

• Sun, I've thought about that too (the professional thing). I remember Poli debating whether she could cover her desired wrist tattoos with bracelets while with clients. I'm in clinical psych and would definitely put my next tattoo somewhere that would be hidden by regular clothes, so clients and employers wouldn't see it. And you're a researcher, right? What is the expected code for tattoos, piercings, etc. in your area?

• Thanks TheSun :)
    You work in a really professional atmosphere right? I think where you work definitely depends.
    Bg- Yea, I don't think much of it until its bugging me but yea. PT is supposed to help a lot and I went for a while after a car accident that irritated it but then we moved and I didn't go anymore. Eventually, when I get insurance I'll go again
  • - How many tattoos do you have?
    - If some, what do you have and where?
    1 on each wrist and 1 on my toe

Will you get any more?
    Yeah probably

My wrists say "Faith" and "Hope" and I have a symbol on my toe that means talent

- Any regrets?
    Yeah the toe.  It was my 18th birthday and not well thought out.

no
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I'm a researcher, yeah. I currently work for the government and I imagine in the future I'll be based in academia somewhere. They're not highly professional places (eg. not so much as say, practicing law etc) but I can't say I've ever come by anyone in the work circles I associate who has visible tattoos... 

My original plan was to cover it with a watch, but I no longer wear a watch, so just as well I didn't go through with it! haha. 

• Sun, that makes sense. I've yet to see any therapists with visible tattoos either, so I imagine it's largely the same.

Roxy, I hope you get insurance soon! You should move to MA... health insurance is mandated here, so they make it somewhat affordable. ;)

Blue, very cool!

Alright ladies, I'm headed to bed. Good night!

• Yea, I never wear watches or bracelets so if I choose to get a wrist one I'll have to figure that out.

• The top is my "nan" Grandmothers in. and date.. in memory of her and the bottom is in memory of a friend that killed himself 4 yrs ago.

How many tattoos do you have? only got this one..
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? don't plan to get any more. If I ever would it would be in memory of my dad... but don't want to think about that.
    Its on the outter part of my left leg below my knee..
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?  explained by picture
    - Any regrets? nope
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? nope..
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tattoos-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4425e37-0550-4a88-ba2e-b3d82d8c581dPost:a52b240f-ae8e-4d12-849f-06a4f3e75eb0">Re: S/O Tattoos (poll)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a researcher, yeah. I currently work for the government and I imagine in the future I'll be based in academia somewhere. They're not highly professional places (eg. not so much as say, practicing law etc) but I can't say I've ever come by anyone in the work circles I associate who has visible tattoos...  My original plan was to cover it with a watch, but I no longer wear a watch, so just as well I didn't go through with it! haha. 
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]

I imagine in the future, employers will not be allowed to mandate covering of tattoos.

I think once the next generation enters the work force, it will be a non issue since its so common. 

Mine are on the inside of my wrists and people hardly notice.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Play- Thats really sweet
  • playtntsbpg30playtntsbpg30 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2010
    thank you roxy... I was planning on getting something similar after my grandma passed... then for my birthday and a year after my friend killed himself, my sister wanted a tattoo for whatever reason and offered to get me mine.. So I choose this one and she paid partly for it in her price range without the rose. I wanted the rose added so I just paid for that.
    I don't have any regrets, but I often wonder why I didn't put "in memory of" on the top banner. O well..

And it's JKW it looks like JHW.. Frown
    Picture is from when I first got it..

and I like yours Roxy--it's different.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • - How many tattoos do you have? 2
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? stars on my ankle.  "may angels lead you in" on my back between my shoulder blades.  i want more.  yes.  i want a fleur de lis on my wrist.
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? stars because i love them.  the words were for my mom
    - Any regrets? nope.
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? no.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • I have Hindu sanskrit on my right shoulder blade. It means, "From delusion lead me to truth. From darkness lead me to light. From death lead me to immortality" I picked my tattoo out when I was 14 and waited years to get it. No regrets at all. And I certainly won't be covering it on my wedding day. It's a part of me. I wouldn't have gotten it if I was going to cover it up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2010
    - How many tattoos do you have? - 8

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? - Back of neck, right shoulder, right outer bicep, right ankle, bikini line area, left inner forearm, 2 on left middle finger. I will never get another tattoo.

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?  - They mean I was young and stupid :(

- Any regrets? I regret all of them except the one on the back of my neck

- Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? - I honestly can't say because I doubt I'd ever be put in that position.

I got my first tattoo when I was 15 and the last when I was 24. I'll be 36 in two months and now, when I look at myself, I wonder WTF was I thinking? I wish I could go back in time and knock some sense into my 15 year old self.

Tim, on the other hand, has a ton of tattoos and I think on him it looks hot as hell.
  • - How many tattoos do you have?
    Just 1.

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any?
    I have a black art celtic knot on my right shoulder. I do want to get another one... also black art. I tan so much in the summer, I'm worried about colors fading.

It's the celtic knot for Eternity.

- Any regrets?
    Only that I had stayed more calm while he was drawing it... there's one section that's a little blurred because I kept jumping whenever he hit my shoulderblade.

If asked, I would. But I would judge her for it. It's part of me. And I would never ask any of my BMs to do the same.

Bonus! Pic!

• - How many tattoos do you have? Just one.
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? I have a blue plumeria flower on my right hip.  I don't know if I'll get any more.
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? The plumeria flower means "independence", and when I was 21, I was involved in a serious car accident and broke my pelvis.  I had to re-learn how to walk.  A year later, I got the plumeria on my hip.
    - Any regrets? Nope.
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? Not necessary.  It's on my hip.  I would hope I wouldn't be asked to wear a bridesmaid dress that showed it!

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I have a carnation and greek letters "Rho" and "Gamma" on my left hip.  The carnation is my sorority's flower and the letters are the chapter name.  I love it.  I love that it is always covered up.  I got it as a reminder to myself what one of the best choices of my life was and how much it helped me become the person I am today.  Cheesey?  yes. 

I probably will not get another one because there are only so many covered up places.  Mine is actually bigger than I originally wanted but carnations are hard to make small and not look crappy so I went bigger.  My only regret is even though i went with a great tattoo studio, he did stain a little bit of the area with ink permanently.  The only people who will ever see that though is Andy, my gyno, and me. 

It's always covered up so doing it for a wedding is a non-issue.  If it was more visible I would happily cover it up though.  It's only one day and I realize that tattoos can be a distraction, if you will, in pictures. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards