Chit Chat

Guest List Woes

So I just need to talk with other brides and brides-to-be (like me) about this...  I'm working on the guest list and we really want to keep the wedding in a lower budget, but I have so much family!  Both of my parents are divorced and remarried with huge families, and I'm pretty close with all of them.  On top of that there's a lot of friends that we want to invite.  Even though my fiance's family is really small it doesn't really help off-set the size of my family.  I've feeling so overwhelmed with the guest list. 

The rest of the wedding stuff is going smoothly, but the guest list is stressing me out.  I don't know what to do!  I feel like if I invite one set of second cousins then the others will be mad because I didn't invite them.  I want to talk with my mom, dad, step-dad and step-mom, but I worry that they won't really help.  On top of that the only ones who have offered to help are my step-mom and dad.   Is it wrong to say "If you want to have these people at the wedding/reception then you need to help contribute to the cost of the wedding?"  I don't think this should be an issue now, but I suppose it's better now than two months down the road.

Any advice or encouragement would be so awesome.

Re: Guest List Woes

• You cannot ask other people, even parents, to pay for your wedding under any circumstances. Asking for money is pretty much always rude. With that said, you certainly can let your parents know that it's just not in your budget to invite people you aren't close to that your parents would like to see invited. Also, as far as having a large reception on a budget, you could always get married at a non meal time and then just serve finger foods or have a dessert only reception to cut costs down.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Not post related....  but, Edie  =(   I just noticed the caption under your photo. I'm so sorry about the loss of your pooch.      I lost my little boxer girl in January and I still miss her every day.   I know your heart must be sad.  Sending you hugs from a fellow dog lover.

• Thank you everyone!  I'm feeling much better about this.  I talked with my mom last night too and told her how I was feeling about the guest list (I did not say anything to her about helping pay for any part of the wedding) and she was very helpful.  I was worried she wouldn't want to help tell me who could just get announcements, but she listed off a bunch of people saying these ones should only get an announcement.  It really made me feel better. 

AND!!  Thanks to her help I was able to cut the guest list by about 100 people; like I said I have a huge family.  Thank you again for your advice!  I've got another problem that I might post to get some more help.

PS- Edie & cmgilpin, I'm sorry about your dogs.  =(  It's so hard losing a family pet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards