Ohio-Cincinnati

When to do alterations

So, I know where I am going to go to get my alterations done, and I have a feeling that not many alterations will have to get done, but not totally sure.  WHEN should I call and make my first appointment to see her if wedding is now 8 months away?
~*Married my best friend on October 2, 2010*~ BabyFetus Ticker

Re: When to do alterations

• edited December 2011
    My wedding is this April and I took my dress to get altered in early December...but I have major alterations since I bought an off the rack dress. I also had the style of the dress changed from an A line to more of a fit and flare style. I wanted her to have all the time she needed incase I didn't like something, so I would suggest that if you don't plan on doing a major body overhaul then I would take it for alterations within the next month or two. It's always better to have more time for changes than to find yourself running out of time! Wink

HTH!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Mines in May, and I was told to look immediately bc you usually need a few fittings.
  • ninjette04ninjette04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha...See when I bought my dress, it fit almost perfect.  AND THEN... I gained alot of weight that I am working to loose now. I guess I will try it on one more time to see how hard I have to get my a$$ in gear and take it in soon!
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered my dress 11 months before our wedding, it took 8+ months to come in, it needed to be shipped to Ohio once all of the fittings were completed, and I STILL waited a month to go in.

Unless you need MAJOR alterations to your gown (e.g. the poster above who was changing the entire style of the gown), I would recommend waiting until you're a couple of months away from your wedding to start the alterations process, especially if your weight tends to fluctuate or if you're attempting to change your weight.  Any earlier, and you run the risk of paying for way more alterations than you actually need due to changing body types.  You can look around for someone you want to hire, but I wouldn't go in to start altering anything until the 2 month mark.
  • ninjette04ninjette04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HR... Thanks, that's what I was worried about, was that since I needed to loose weight that I wouldn't have enough time.  You eased my worries once again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards