Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Potato Salad AND Deviled Eggs?

I'm just trying to plot out my entire buffet menu for the wedding. So far we are having a "make your own sandwich" buffet, with 3-4 different deli meats, 3 types of cheese, four different types of rolls. We're also having potato salad, possibly potato chips, a fruit display, and of course condiments for the sandwiches (mustard, mayo, etc). I was kinda thinking of nixing the potato chips and having deviled eggs, but to me those two things are very similar in taste (both have eggs, mustard, and mayo) and consistency. Does anyone else think that that would be a bad combination? Any other ideas that are easily prepared and/or served? I'm thinking cold options only, for simplicity as we are catering our own food for approximately 50 people. Thanks!

Re: Potato Salad AND Deviled Eggs?

• edited December 2011
    I don't like eating eggs plain or mayo-heavy things, so I would suggest only having one since they're similar enough that if someone doesn't like one, they probably won't like the other.  What about a three bean salad?  You can make it in advance and serve it cold.  I'm thinking something with green beans, wax beans, and kidney beans, or that kind of thing.  
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_potato-salad-deviled-eggs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:99221bae-c5c2-4095-bd25-fde723a517a3Post:8bb09560-0fb5-4973-9a6a-f02023661860">Potato Salad AND Deviled Eggs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm just trying to plot out my entire buffet menu for the wedding. So far we are having a "make your own sandwich" buffet, with 3-4 different deli meats, 3 types of cheese, four different types of rolls. We're also having potato salad, possibly potato chips, a fruit display, and of course condiments for the sandwiches (mustard, mayo, etc). I was kinda thinking of nixing the potato chips and having deviled eggs, but to me those two things are very similar in taste (both have eggs, mustard, and mayo) and consistency. Does anyone else think that that would be a bad combination? Any other ideas that are easily prepared and/or served? I'm thinking cold options only, for simplicity as <strong>we are catering our own food</strong> for approximately 50 people. Thanks!
    Posted by fireytiger[/QUOTE]

I would say neither.  These deviled eggs and potato salad spoil too quickly and I doubt you'll have the time to keep checking whatever cooling device (ice in a bowl?) you are using to keep cold things cold.  Why take the risk of making your guests sick?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited December 2011
    If it's outdoors or sitting out for more than 1 hour, be careful---there are many horror food poisoning stories with potato salad...not sure about deviled eggs, but I would be so grossed out to eat some if they were warm. 

With sandwiches, I'd do potato chips & a green salad.  Where your veggies at??  :):)

• edited December 2011
    How about a pasta salad?
    Some pretty bow-tie pasta with lots of veggies and a dressing?

I also would also do a green salad as PP mentioned.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    ditto on the gross out factor of warm deviled eggs.  yuck!  w love the idea of different cold salads though.  strawberry-spinach salad, chinese noodle salad, pasta salad, been salad.  things with NO MAYO.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_potato-salad-deviled-eggs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:99221bae-c5c2-4095-bd25-fde723a517a3Post:39b5a6be-3011-460d-bd51-6ac3d7e28f41">Re: Potato Salad AND Deviled Eggs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it's outdoors or sitting out for more than 1 hour, be careful---there are many horror food poisoning stories with potato salad...not sure about deviled eggs, but I would be so grossed out to eat some if they were warm.  With sandwiches, I'd do potato chips & a green salad. <strong> Where your veggies at??</strong>  :) :)
    Posted by lthom17[/QUOTE]

<div>Also this.  </div>
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I got food poisoning once from pasta salad with an oil and vinegar dressing once, at an outdoor event.  So, it's not just mayonnaise based stuff that can do it.  Just make sure that if it's supposed to be cold, it's ICE COLD.   And if it's supposed to be hot, it's PIPING HOT.  Both are really hard to do unless you have proper professional catering equipment.  Hire someone, it's safer.
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't afford to hire someone. I have like 250-300 dollars to pay for food for around 50 people, no catering company can work with that price range.

I have volunteers who are agreeing to help out with things like setting up the venue and putting out the food. There is a fridge at the reception venue that can keep everything cold until it's time to eat, at which point we can pull it out and set it on the table. The venue is indoors, and I hadn't planned on leaving it sit out for like hours upon hours, only long enough for people to take what they will and be done with it, then move on with the festivities. We're talking the food will be out for like an hour. I've spent years in food service and did catering with those companies, I know what needs to be done and how to do it, I know what to instruct everyone else to do to ensure that nobody gets sick. I'm simply doing the best I can with the options I have available.
  • edited December 2011
    OP, I'm glad you have thought through the food safety concerns, but I still think it's too much mayo/eggs, and I would add a vegetable item--bean salad, green salad, cut up veggies, etc.--to your menu instead. 
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, How about this: We're gonna cut out the potato salad, and have just deviled eggs, and still trying to come up with an idea for a veggie. We're considering just a simple veggie tray. Sound good?
  • edited December 2011
    Veggie trays are good...Marinated veggie salads are good too.  Someone mentioned 3 bean, but I also like the one with cucumber/onions/tomato.  You could also so the brocolli/bacon/raisin/nuts one with the vinegar/sugar type dressing.  YUM!!!  and pretty too.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    Just a big green salad would work fine, offer a ranch-type dressing and an italian dressing.

What about German potato salad?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of a pasta salad or perhaps a cole slaw would be good too.  Another idea would be a broccoli salad.

For a veggie tray:  carrots, celery, radishes, red/green peppers, sliced, broccoli, cauliflower, with a ranch dip or different kinds of dips available is good.

We are also self-catering and doing veggie trays as well as a relish tray: olives, peppercinis, baby dills and such. We are also having mini-sandwiches and a couple of salads plus chips and dips. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards