Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony in June outside or inside..recommendations?

I'm getting married next June 1st 2013.  I'm our reception at a beautiful old mansion called Greystone Hall.  I have the option to get married on site or we were going to get married in a Catholic Church.  Problem is the latest ceremony they will do is on a Saturday is 2 pm and I will have a big time gap betweeen the ceremony and reception. My parents want the church ceremony but my f'iance and I are leaning towards a beautiful June outdoor wedding.  Thoughts? experiences?

Re: Ceremony in June outside or inside..recommendations?

• Options
    Outdoors in June in Philly sounds like it could be pretty uncomfortable.  Have you checked average temps at different times of day?  

DSC_9275
  • Options
    My wedding is this year on June 2 and we are having the ceremony outdoors.  Because the weather here is so unpredictable, we chose to have it in the evening so the hottest part of the day would be over. We also rented a tent to provide shade from the sun/shield from the rain.
  • Options
    Especially when dealing with things like the Church, make sure that's what you really want in terms of going through the sacrament and all. Having a Catholic wedding just to have your ceremony indoors seems a bit odd to me. If your parents are pushing it for religious reasons that you and your FI don't agree with, then you guys all need to have a talk. Is there an indoor space at the reception space you can have in case of bad/too hot weather? Of course, where I'm from outdoors in June sounds like a fate worse than death, but you need to check the temps. 

At most Catholic churches, you're going to have a gap if you want a night reception. Unless you get married on a Friday or that church doesn't have a Saturday Vigil. We're getting married at 2 pm and just starting the reception/cocktail hour right afterwards. However, most of our guests are traveling from just far enough away (90 mins) that they don't want to bother getting a hotel room, so they'll be driving back that night, so an early reception isn't a big deal for us.  
  • Options

The ceremony isn't right in Philly but about 30 min away on a private estate.  I checked the weather and the average temp is low 80s for that dats the past 8 years in our area.  I was raised Catholic, but when it comes to the ceremony i could go either way.  Thinking we are leaning towards having the ceremony outside. (There is an emergency room inside the mansion to get married if the weather is bad).  Thanks!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-in-june-outside-or-insiderecommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:8d535de0-6c74-4f41-a430-f2b49f4482f2Post:c4ee29cc-582a-4859-9066-b031e0ca332b">Re: Ceremony in June outside or inside..recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The ceremony isn't right in Philly but about 30 min away on a private estate.  I checked the weather and the average temp is low 80s for that dats the past 8 years in our area.  I was raised Catholic, but when it comes to the ceremony i could go either way.  Thinking we are leaning towards having the ceremony outside.<strong> (There is an emergency room inside the mansion to get married if the weather is bad)</strong>.  Thanks!
    Posted by vkayse137[/QUOTE]

<div>Just out of curiosity, is the mansion air conditioned?   Someone posted a few days ago about a historic home that was un-airconditioned, and a summertime wedding.  MIght be worth checking, just to be sure.   </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    FIne Greetings!

Of course, it is your Special Day.  But do think of your Attending Guests and try not to subject them to several hours of waiting.  It is always so frustrating to them.

I perform at many Weddings -- I'm a Ceremony musician at the Jersey Shore -- and the stress/worry of having fabulous weather is always one more stress for the Bride.  So it's a rough call. 

Regarding temperatures -- June will be OK.  It's the July/August Weddings that have the heat!

All the best to you at this very exciting time!
    !
    Sincerely,
    Michele, Flutist, www.BridalMusicByFloraDuo.com
  • Options
    mine will be outdoors June 30th of this year.

we are having it in the evening (6pm) tho so the heat wont be too bad.

its all up to what you and your FI want.
    I always wanted outdoors so thats what we are doing...
    we will have tents for shade for the guests and stuff.

I figure as long as you provide some shade for your guests and you want it outside then go for it!

good luck!
  • Options
    Than you all for your help!
  • Options
    Too funny we're having our wedding on the same date! Well my fiance and I live in NY and we're looking for a venue that's outside and if it rains it's being moved to the reception site. I figure it's so nice out why not take advantage of that?! 

Good luck to you!
    Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards