Wisconsin

Appleton Area Brides??

Hello!  I was curious to see how many of you out there are from the Appleton area? Aslo, as I was reading through some of the posts, I realized that I still need music for my ceremony.  We are having an outdoor ceremony, so was looking more for a brass group, so the sound would carry better.   Does anyone have any good suggestions or recommendations?  We don't want to spend a whole lot, as one estimate I got was going to be about $1000 for one hour of music.  That's too much for me. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Appleton Area Brides??

• edited December 2011
    I would suggest contacting St. Norberts and seeing if some of their students would be available. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting a band through Bananas Entertainment called Wavelength.  Their two lead singers are married and do a side show of cocktail lounge type music and they will be doing our church and dinner music for a very good price.  Let me know if you would like more information, they are based out of Appleton.  I am not on here very often so email me at rectherapist82@yahoo.com
  • squirrely221squirrely221 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Appleton but am getting married in Sturegeon Bay.
    I would see if there are any Lawrence Students willing to play. 
    I bet there are some students looking for extra cash in the summer..
  • KatieD212KatieD212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Green Bay! It's hard to find other brides nearby on here.
    f you are interested, I play violin with a friend for weddings, just duets so it isnt a huge sound, but we have both played together since elementary school, send me a message if you are interested.
    Otherwise, I agree with checking St Norberts or any other college in the area for music groups! Even if you contact a music teacher from a high school, they may have a group of students that they would recommend!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lwogslandlwogsland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Green Bay...I'd try contacting the local universities as well...
  • foursixquebecfoursixquebec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Appleton!!!  I actually only moved here a few of months ago (october?) - prior to that I lived in Madison, and before that I lived in MKE.

It's been really hard for me to find local topics here... We should petition to have our own section, so we can look at vendors that we could actually use!!   :)
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Anniversary Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • dougandkatiedougandkatie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I, too, am from Appleton!!  

and Completely agree that we Appletonians should have our own little section.   or at least a Green Bay/Appleton section - because the two are close enough together to make the two somewhat interchangeable.
  • pengee1pengee1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all your suggestions everyone!  I didn't even realize anyone had responded.  I did think about calling Lawrence to possibly find some students.  I will keep St. Norberts in mind too. 
    I actually sent The Knot a message awhile ago about adding the Appleton/Green Bay area as a separate area, but never heard anything back.  Maybe if enough of us speak up, they will listen!  :)   
    Just know that I'm out here if anyone needs someone in the Appleton area!  :) 
  • TinyJeniTinyJeni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from the area AND went to Lawrence's Conservatory of Music. You have access to some of the best up-and-coming professional musicians out there, no exaggeration! If you want quality musicians, go to Lawrence.
         In the Conservatory, there is a little "Gig Board" in the hallway of practice rooms specifically designed for musicians to find people like you. The good thing about going to Lawrence is that you know anyone who calls you back will be a good musician. If you let me know what you want it to say, I'll post something there for you. Just list the type of music you're looking for, the date, and who to contact.
  • foursixquebecfoursixquebec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_appleton-area-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:6e00b930-575d-4a1d-b5ab-d0ad7b290124Post:dcaa78ed-b3c5-48a3-b18f-33fe75b42420">Re: Appleton Area Brides??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually sent The Knot a message awhile ago about adding the Appleton/Green Bay area as a separate area, but never heard anything back.  Maybe if enough of us speak up, they will listen!  :)
    Posted by pengee1[/QUOTE]

I sent them an email on the same day that I posted that we should have our own section.  This is what I got back::

<p><font color="#993300"><span style="font-size:12pt;">Hi Jess,
    </span></font></p><p><font color="#993300"><span style="font-size:12pt;">Thanks for your email.  We greatly appreciate feedback from the members of our Community and any suggestions they provide.  We are constantly striving to improve our boards and the overall user experience.  While we can not implement every idea we receive, we do keep them and use them to determine our next round of improvements.  <strong>If we see a lot of brides (newlyweds) will find this new board helpful we will try to find some way to incorporate it.</strong></span></font></p> <p><font color="#993300"><span style="font-size:12pt;">Best Regards,</span></font></p><p><font color="#993300"><span style="font-size:12pt;">Justine</span></font></p><p><font color="#993300"></font></p>So send 'em your messages!  I sent mine to:  <span class="gI">messageboards@theknot.com</span>, and the response was from justine blanchard  Maybe I'll post it in a separate thread so that all the NE WI brides can see it & maybe send emails, too.

Oh, and pengee, when you're looking at the thread, there's a little set of boxes in a green band above the title of the OP.  One of them says email replies.  If you click that, it'll send you an email to let you know when someone responds.  There's also a link for "watch," but I don't know what that is or why there is both.  I know the email thing works, because that's how I knew you replied!  :)
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Anniversary Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • pengee1pengee1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jess!  I will send them another message suggesting they add a separate group for our area! 
  • TinyJeniTinyJeni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    pengee1, I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if it really sent, because it shows up in my inbox... let me know if you receive a message from the knot soon :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am from the appleton area also!

Does anyone have any suggestions for florists or bakeries in the area? 
    My Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    212 image Invited
    94 image Wouldn't miss it!
    75 image Are party-poopers
    43 image Are confused about how rsvps work
    RSVPS are due June 11th!
  • pengee1pengee1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing all of our flowers, decorations, centerpieces, linens, etc through Branching Out in Appleton.   They are absolutely wonderful and have been great to work with.  We found after meeting with them a few times, that we have similar styles and tastes, so I am excited to see how it's going to turn out. 

I don't have much experience on the bakery side, as I am using someone I know (family friend).  I've heard good things about Manderfields though. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would check out Tamara's Cakes, she's based out of Oshkosh, but she does weddings everywhere.  Anyway she is pretty reasonable, and has some super creative out of the box ideas, along with traditional wedding cakes.
    Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards