Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Ettiqute

A friend of mine is also getting married and her bridal shower is coming up next month.  After seeing her this weekend she informed me that she didn't want to open gifts at her shower.  Is the point of a shower not to open gifts? I thought this was very rude...you want people to bring you gifts but you don't want to open them.  Do people have showers where they don't open gifts?

Re: Bridal Shower Ettiqute

• WGachesWGaches member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my area it's common for the bride to greet guests at the door, hostesses take the gifts to unwrap them and set them out on display with a name card of the giver. Once the majority of guests have arrived everyone can mill about, admiring the gifts and visit with the bride. I hope that's what she's talking about. I like it this way a lot better, because I'm very shy and don't like to open gifts in front of people - plus I actually get to spend time with the guests, who spent time and money on my behalf.
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-ettiqute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:edc43128-60db-4395-b556-0bb51efb9d60Post:d50d806b-4325-40e0-bd91-79590da56398">Re: Bridal Shower Ettiqute</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my area it's common for the bride to greet guests at the door, hostesses take the gifts to unwrap them and set them out on display with a name card of the giver. Once the majority of guests have arrived everyone can mill about, admiring the gifts and visit with the bride. I hope that's what she's talking about. I like it this way a lot better, because I'm very shy and don't like to open gifts in front of people - plus I actually get to spend time with the guests, who spent time and money on my behalf.
    Posted by WGaches[/QUOTE]

I have to say that I really hate this and it is NOT at all acceptable in my circle.  If I take the time to shop for, wrap, and bring a gift to the shower, I want to see the BRIDE open it, and I want to see her reaction.

I have amazing pictures of my DD at her shower opening some gifts that deeply touched her, some that made her laugh because they were funny, and some that were just so thoughtful. 

For me, the point of a shower is to watch the BRIDE open the gifts.  Any less would be a huge disappointment.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Trix. If I went to a shower and the bride didn't open the gifts, I would be disappointed.
    If the hostess is going to take the gifts and unwrap them, what is the point of wrapping them to begin with?

• LEESHY09LEESHY09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the ladies. I would be so dissapointed if I took the time to go buy someone a gift and go to a party to celebrate them and they didn't even open the gift. I want to show off to others what I got for them. 

I just had a shower and seeing the joy on the guests faces as I opened their gifts was so touching. It would have been so rude to them if I had not opened them in front of them.

The whole point of a shower is to celebrate the couple (and the bride particularly) and to shower them with gifts. Your friend needs to think of what her guests might want.
  • edited December 2011
    I am not a fan of opening gifts in front of other people at all!  I don't always give the big happy reaction that people love to see because I'm not one of those bubbly types...That being said others do LOVE to see that happy face (bonus for happy tears or fanning of the face)...so, the best thing to do in that situation (since others are spending time and money and are giving with a motive...not just to give for the sake of giving but to feel good in response to your happy, greatful gift-opening face), is to just suck it up and practice saying, "oh, how cute," or, "this is so special, thankyou," because it's the nice thing to do.  It's like eating food that doesn't taste good at family gatherings and smiling and then complimenting the food when you don't want to, or appeasing your future in-laws...welcome to being a grown-up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards