Destination Weddings Discussions

OMG

Ok so I got a call from my little sister who is 23 (she will be 24 in June).  Anyways she was like guess what and jokingly I was like what are you getting married.... OMG SHE SAID SHE WAS!!!!!!  I am in shock.  She has been dating this guy for less than 3 months and they were not friends before that or anything so that is the extent of their relationship.  I am trying to be excited and supportive but on the inside I am worried!  She says she doesn't know if she wants to do a long or short engagement, but I'm hoping for a long one.  I have only met the guy ONCE!  He seemed nice, but still less than three months!  Holy cow. Plus she has already been married once.  She got married to her high school boyfriend when she was 18 years old and they were together until September 2010 when he just randomly served her with divorce papers.  He was living in California and she was here in Colorado.  He was in the marines and was sent to Iraq twice which really messed him up.  I thought she would stay away from the military, but this new guy is in the reserves....  Anyways, I am just worried they are moving too fast, but o well I guess, not my decision.  O and crazy thing!  The rings from her first engagement/marriage and this engagement ring look almost the same!  So weird.

Ok vent/rant over lol!

Our Wedding- June 15, 2012- Jamaica
imageAnniversary

Samantha's Bio~Updated 5/15/12

DW Siggy Website

Re: OMG

• Its not uncommon for military relationships to move fast, my first FI and I were both military and that's why we were so quick to get engaged... (mind you, you see how that worked out)... FI and I were under a year when we got engaged, although we were at like 8 months or something like that, so a little longer yet :P We didn't know each other before dating at all though...
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Wow that is quick but ya never know how things can work out! Are they at least living together? Seeing that I was married before, I swore I wouldn't make the same mistakes twice so hopefully she learned from her last marriage. A long engagement is probably the better way to go since she didn't know him before. I hope everything works for her!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • That is quick! Although my parents were dating for only 3 months too and have been married for over 20 years.  Hopefully she knows he's the one this time! Good luck to her (and you!) =)

DW Siggy Challenge: Table Numbers-Jimmy Buffet Songs
    imageAnniversary Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Thanks ladies.  Ya I am just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for her.  I want it to work out, I just wish they waited a bit longer.  I guess I will just push for the longer engagement.

Jenn- No they are not living together.  My sister lives at home with my mom in littleton and he lives in Colorado Springs which is like 2 hours away.  They spend weekends together generally.  This week my sister is house sitting for my other sister so he is staying with her and that is where he proposed...

Our Wedding- June 15, 2012- Jamaica
    imageAnniversary

Samantha's Bio~Updated 5/15/12

DW Siggy Website
  • OMG is right. I hope she figures out this is the best idea BEFORE they get married. YIKES!
  • That would scare the HELL out of me if it was my sister. 3 months is not long at all especially when they only see each other on weekends. But i am pretty bias considering I have been in my relationship for over 5 years. I am all about taking my time lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    I hope it all works out for them. Maybe they will live together first and get to know each other.....even though some frown upon that but I'm all for it!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards